Hepatitis C Community
Hepatitis C and the use of Chantix for non smoking

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hello everyone,I have a progressive case of hepatitis C and want to use the drug Chantix to quit smoking and worried about the side affects.Does anyone have any knowledge of this drug interaction.
Chantix side effects may include suicidal thoughts, depression and even violent behavior
Don't take it if you don't have too. I bought it and took one pill and felf horrible (that could just be me) but I couldn't take it. At the time I gave it to my room mate who took it for about two weeks. He was sick constantly, threw up, acted like a baby and was a complete and total a** hole if you know what I mean. Quiting smoking is very difficult so I understand where you are coming from but I finally quit without anything.

I started walking and running, lifting weights and doing a lot of hiking and that made me want to stop. Plus, if you quit and then you smoke again you feel so guilty that it's not even worth it.

If I were you I would stock up on a lot of gum with sugar and a lot of carrots. Drink plenty of water and exercise. If all else fails then get one of those nicotene inhalers or if you have the funds available to you go see a hypnotist.

P.S. my room mate quit taking Chantix and is still smoking.
I would ask your doctor if it is metabolized in the liver or the kidneys - thats generally one of the ways we figure out what we can take or not.

"CHANTIX should not be taken with other quit-smoking products. You may need a lower dose of CHANTIX if you have kidney problems or get dialysis."

It looks to me like it's the kidneys but ask a doctor to be sure about that and any other problem we might not think about as patients.

(Unfortunately I am a smoker too - it's a horrible nasty vice but one I just can't seem to shake :(
I tried Chantix and every time I took it I felt sick to my stomach for a few hours. I can't imagine having that sx coupled with nausea that you can already feel while on tx.

I'm unsure about the interactions with tx drugs or HCV. I didn't know I had HCV when I tried it.