Hepatitis C Community
Hepatitis C through unprotected sex?? Urgent advice needed!!

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hello everyone,

A few days ago I had unprotected vaginal and anal sex on a drunken one night stand.The next morning she called me and told me she had hepatitis C!!  Around the same time I noticed a small ,very thin,papercut on my finger that could have happened up to an hour before the incident (perhaps even bleeding during).However it is extremely small. (less then 2 cm long).There was fingering involved,and she told me that she did infact notice some blood the next morning (because of the anal sex)
I rarely dont use condoms and I have never had any Stds.I have been told despite all this the risk is very low.I just wanted some advice on this subject.Obviously im getting tested asap.
.

My questions are:

What are the chances of me contracting the virus from this one episode?  Am I at very high risk?

If she has a low viral load (she was born with it so im assuming she has),is it less contagious?

Any advice would be deeply appreciated...Im really stressing!!!
While the risk of sexual transmission is thought to be quite low with HCV, anal sex might raise the risk some due to tissue tearing, resulting in a greater chance of blood to blood transfer. I’d be more concerned about HIV and Hepatitis B virus. It’s hard to conduct solid studies about this for obvious reasons, so the knowledge base for this includes anecdotal reports. Best to schedule an STD panel, including a Hep panel in the future. The HCV screening test will require you wait a few months for antibodies to develop; discuss this time frame with your doctor.

Best—

Bill
---------------
This is  rather sophisticated knowledge/question for someone asking such a basic question about sexual transmission as you are. Somehow I get the impression you know quite a bit about the subject and are obsessing on it. As bill suggests, get tested and then be done with the issue once and for all. If the test shows you are UND, then you don't have HCV and you can move on. These tests are reliable.

-- Jim
"Obviously im getting tested asap."

You stated despite all of the conditions you were told the risk was low. Advice one way or the other will not determine the outcome so to minimize your stress level just get tested.  Really, no one here has a crystal ball and can advise you with any certainty. As they say, the proof is in the pudding so try not to worry and just get tested.  Hope you have positive outcome and avoid the same circumstances in the future.
Trinity
Hey guys,

Thank you for all for your advice and time,

Yes Bill ive seen unfortunately the statistics on this matter are confusing or non existant.Ive already scheduled an Rna test for next month.My main concern is if the cut in my finger could have been exposed to sufficient blood.As I mentioned earlier,she said there was some blood the following day,although I did not see any at all.

Jim,you are right,I have been obsessing incessantly about it.Im a 20 year old athlete so health affects aver area of my life!! And aside from that i am a complete hypochondriac when it comes to such issues.

Trinity,I will try to minimise my stress level and just deal with it for the next months.

Finally,
I dont mean to perservere on this,but do any of you personally know of an actual case who contracted this virus from one time sexual contact with someone else who was infected?

Cheers to all,

Ashman
I can recall two people who post here who were infected as a result of sexual assault.
I had unprotected sex with my wife for 40 years.  I am very slow - LOL.  she never caught HCV from me.
Your story doesn't make sense. You had a drunken one night stand and the next morning the woman called to say she had HCV?

In any event, your question has been answered – the chances are very low but not non-existent. The number of contacts is irrelevant. You always contract HCV from a single exposure. It doesn't require multiple exposures. So you'll get tested and that will be that.

But the story is unpleasant and you don't come across that well. There are people with illnesses on this board. We don't really need a hypochondriac for whom sports is everything. And I don't think you're being on the up and up.
Thank you guys for all the info.

Marc, Im only trying to get some information as I am rightfully worried.I have the right to seek opinions and information about any subject I desire.You dont know me so please dont make assumptions on the quality of person I am.
That said Im sorry if I have offended anyone,and once again thank you for all the info!!
You had unprotected vaginal and anal sex with a casual pick-up. Have you heard about the Darwin awards? You may not make it to 25. How hard is it to practice safe sex?
Ashman,

You're still a kid and made a mistake when you were drunk.  I'm quite sure many of us including myself have done the same thing.  Unfortunately, you hooked up with the wrong chick and hopefully won't have to pay for it down the road. I'm not judging but if she was drinking as well and has hepc she is accelerating the damage to her liver. She also should have told you before you engaged in sexual activity.  That is the responsibility of all persons with hepc who have casual sex and know they are infected but when under the influence of alcohol we don't always do the right thing.   Of course athletics is very important to you right now and I understand your concerns.  Once you're tested and you know for sure this will all be behind you.  More than likely you'll be fine.  If not, you'll just have to cross that bridge.  Learn from this and be more cautious in the future.  Sorry, I sound like a mom but I've been preaching these words to my own for years.  Alcohol impairs judgment so remember that the next time you get your drink on put you condomn on too.  Let us know what your results are.
Good Luck
Trinity
These things happen. Go to your doctor, tell him and get tested - it's confidential.

Call the girl back, as embarrassing as that may be and find out more details of her condition. And until you get fully tested, abstain. That means no sex and no drinking because you could find yourself in the repeat situation.

At least she called the next day, which says to me she's someone you know.

It could have been worse - she could have called to say she has HIV and maybe she does.

And she still may call to say she's pregnant. You may soon be standing at the front of the aisle.
Next time carry a Rubber in your wallet. That is what I did when I was your age.
When MedHelp deletes your post its because it was offensive somehow.  Its bad form to post it again.  

I have to agree, your story is questionable.  Who gives a phone number to a one night stand?
I personally don’t find anything in this thread that’s objectionable. This is a medical discussion group, and if we can’t handle topics like this, we might as well get out of the business.

Ashman, I agree that better care should be taken in the future. That said, I’ve certainly done things myself that I regretted when drunk; actually, I’ve done them over and over again :o).

Keep a sock in your pocket from now on, and try to learn from this experience. No one is suggesting you stop playing, just play safe.

Be cool--

Bill
????? come on guys, leave the guy alone
Sorry, that was not directed to you....

As I mentioned before,we have many mutual friends,we are in the same university or "college" as you say in the us,So its not hard to contact someone after a one night stand in such circumstances.If you find my story questionable,then dont answer it,im asking for advice on the chances of catching hep c ,not on what YOU THINK about the situation.Its a medical question,not a personal one.So dont make it personal,please.

But thank you,as many people have answered very helpfully.Thanks again guys youve really shed some light on the subject.
I guess I'm not such a sweet guy as some of the nicer people in the loop here. I'm with Marc- the whole thing creeps me out. If you're "obviously getting tested asap" why bother here? It's all opinion (educated or not) anyway.  Maybe you just like being worried. Methinks there's deeper issues afoot here...maybe for another forum or genuine one on one couch time with a professional-and not the one night stand type either, Bud. Be reading about you in the Darwin Awards VII. Hey-maybe you could strap a JADO rocket to a 1968 impala and...
Sorry if I stepped on anyone's feet. I have just been made aware that there had been some insults, which have been deleted. So the whole thread looks different. Sorry again!

Marcia
Im not going to respond to this anymore.

To all the kind people who offered avaluable advice,thank you for the information and opinions.You all seem like great people and I wish you the best.

However there have been some really nasty people making ridiculous remarks.If your queasy about sex,then why the hell are you posting in this question??  I just find it really weird that in a medical forum people are commenting in such ways.
No one is queazy about sex, I can assure you. You're the one who engaged in irresponsible activity. And what gets under my skin is that you continue to be dishonest. You said that this was a one time mistake. Do you honestly expect us to believe that this is the only time you had unprotected sex? You're not be honest with yourself or us. Go ahead and have a hissy fit. Did it ever dawn on you that if you do something really stupid, someone might say so.

You were taught about safe sex and for some reason you decided that it doesn't apply to you. That's stupid. Sorry if you got your feelings hurt. In the future, I hope you'll have the good sense to pack a few condoms in your kit and use them. Always.

There is one person in this who behaved even more stupidly than you. That is your partner. She knows she has HCV and she engaged in unprotected vaginal and anal sex. You're going to love this one – as a responsible member of a college community you have an obligation to speak with someone in counseling or student life and report her behavior. She cannot be permitted to continue to engage is such behavior. It puts too many people at risk.

Are you going to do the mature thing and do that? You are correct that this is a health issue. I'd love to see you take some responsibility.
"There is one person in this who behaved even more stupidly than you. That is your partner. She knows she has HCV and she engaged in unprotected vaginal and anal sex. You're going to love this one – as a responsible member of a college community you have an obligation to speak with someone in counseling or student life and report her behavior. She cannot be permitted to continue to engage is such behavior. It puts too many people at risk. "

I get the concern about anal sex due to the known risk of tearing and therefore risk of blood transmission.  Wondering why you included vaginal sex in there...it's not a risk factor unless the woman has her period.  That additional inclusion on your part is misleading.  While most of us feel an obligation to sexual partners to inform them we have HCV when it comes to ongoing relationships because generally come off in a monogamous relationship, from a pure transmission point of view, vaginal sex is not a risk.  HCV is not considered an STD the way HIV and HBV are.

Trish
You've been very polite in this thread that I can see.

I'm glad you received some replies that are helpful to you. Now go get tested and abstain from drinking and sex until you get the results.

And I hope you treat that girl with respect - you were both drunk at the time and lost it.

One day she may be your hepatologist.

Trish - Point well taken. I do feel sorry for a kid who has HCV, binge drinks and engages in dangerous sexual activity. But it is just so irresponsible to do so. And I actually marvel that she called this kid after the fact. I don't think either of them realizes the seriousness of their actions.
Not taking sides but in all seriousness at that age and then add booze most of us has done things we regret.
May offend some  but the truth is, with all the education out there, I can’t help but think of the great profit Forrest Gump. Stupid is as Stupid Does. If you feel some members came down hard on you, tough sh!t.. Apparently, this is what you need.

Can-do
When we were young, we thought Penicillin or Quell Lotion would cure everything out there. It was not drilled into us that Unpredicted Casual Sex could kill
True, but driving my 65 chevy 90 down a country road was, like i said sure not defending this but when i think back at that age we didn't always use good judgement.... Hope your doing ok.
Those who can, do; those who can't, warn of the dangers.:)
I am, doing fine.
We have to match Apples to Apples here.
It was not drilled into us to fasten our seat belts. In 65. I don’t think they even came with seat belts.  Now we have been educated and seat belts are strictly in forced for the ones that don’t get. it.  
We didn’t have the knowledge they have now concerning unprotected sex.. Since some seem to ignore all warnings, I feel a swift kick in the pants is far more effective than a rub on the head
My questions are:

ANS:Not  a high risk...but still risky...its hard to put a % number on it..you have a higher risk getting HIV than HCV tho.

ANS:..who knows ...what her viral load is...dont matter if its 1000 or 10000000...you can still get it from any load number

ANS...have a stiff drink or take even taks a valium...relax....but do get a blood test...it make takes weeks to show up too....hope this helps...BTW..think with your other head instead.

Also  the good news is ...if know you have the virus and treat ti while its in the early stages....odds are you will beat it..no pun intended
Unprotected anal sex during a one night stand? Moron.
Statistics are tricky things.  Most people don't really understand them.  There are stats out there that can give reasonably reliable odds for how many people in a group of, say 1000, will get Hepc from sexual activity.  But there is NO statistic in the world that can tell you the odds of your catching the virus from your particular experience.  

If you are concerned about your health and well being you should NOT be asking for stats on an internet posting board.  Instead you should get yourself tested some 2 months  after exposure.

Asking for lay-people's opinions about your odds of getting a disease from ill-considered sexual activity isn't going to do your health any good at all.  
Having  un protected anal sex with a stranger who says she has hep c is HIGH RISK...that about tops it....i didnt realize he said that...WOW...that is crazy
The person is not a stranger. She's in the same circle of college friends. And they were both very drunk, as happens now and then on campus, even to the brightest students.  I'm sure neither of them planned any of this or even remembered what a condom was, let alone where it was.

The amazing thing was that this young girl (who contracted HCV at birth) phoned him the next day when she became sober and told him. To me, this speaks volumes about her character.

I wonder how many of us would do that in her situation or just keep quiet and hope for the best?
Interesting -  related to this topic and Dr. D's response.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/720314
I am now UND, if i have unprotected sex with my self is it possible i could re-infect myself???????

Please help.....Abbas_new brother
Hmm....so that's YOU in that video circulating on the internet?  Had no idea you were that flexible .... ;->
LOL, OMG trish my post didn't come out just right. I was thinking more in line with "a bird in the HAND"
LOL, that was good
CDM  Now we understand what can-do-man means
People - std's like HIV and HEP and HERPES are at least 4 times more likely to be transferred during ANAL sex. I'm not against anal sex, but you just have to use common sense, NO MATTER HOW DRUNK YOU ARE. ESPECIALLY if you are female or on the receiving end of gay sex (if you're a male) you need to be super careful if you're having anal sex.

There is no sympathy from me - do I need to be sympathetic if you walk out into traffic and get hit by a truck??
Ashman:  I just wanted some advice on this subject.

I didn't see one post from Ashman that indicated he wanted sympathy.  Commentary on a public forum does not mean we in the "feel good business" with our responses as some seem to think but in Ashman's defense I do not think he was looking for sympathy.  It appears he realizes he made a huge mistake and we have certainly confirmed that.  Yes, he's obsessing and an a self proclaimed hypochondriac but I don't think he deserves the smack down.  He asked a legitimate question and we answered.  Who on this forum hasn't been reckless at some point in their life.  I would never appoint myself moral majority leader and the his use of bad judgement has been reiterated over and over again.  Let's hope Ashman gets out of this one unscathed and has learned a huge lesson.

Trinity

As one who was vocal on the smack down front, I wanted to say that I don't disagree with you. I think our responses might have more to do with different philosophies on how you relate to young people than anything else. I'm a total tough *** with my own kids and kids in general. They absolutely know I love them, and they also know that if they do screw up, I will be there for them. But when they screw up I tell them to their face. And I'm really clear what I consider unacceptable behavior. Kids tend to make excuses for themselves and they don't realize the consequences of their actions.

All of us are reading things into this situation. Does Ashman realize he made a huge mistake because his partner had HCV or because he engaged in unprotected sex? From my point of view, the former is not good enough.

Maybe my responses were inappropriate, but my point was that he needs to take responsibility and be sure this doesn't happen again. And it shouldn't have happened in the first place. I'd personally give my kid condoms before I'd let something like that happen.
You make some good points, Trinity. I agree with everything you say, but like Marc, I'm a bit a tougha$$ when it comes to people making common sense. I'm hard on myself for mistakes and hard on others. Doesn't mean I don't care - it means exactly the opposite. I hate to see people suffer and if I can help drill in some common sense to help them avoid future mishaps, I will. I have an 8 year old daughter. Call me super protective. ;)
We live in a society that coddles idiots. A little pat on the head and a hearty, "Now don't do that again, Junior..." isn't going to make the point. I'm a father of daughters and a son, and it needs to be CLEAR to them that reckless behavior, while probably inevitable, kills, and sometimes there are no second chances. I was reckless in my youth, and feel qualified to smack the point home- verbally, as I don't hit my kids.  If someone's narcissistic self-centered behavior puts them and others at risk, I'm in favor of some "paternal enlightenment".  And if I don't judge, how do I teach MY kids to set boundaries? Forgiveness is great, but AFTER the lesson is learned. My two cents, I'm sure not all will agree.
It remains to be seen how verbally smacking your kids will play out in your family when they're teenagers and in their twenties. There is no clarity like in-your-face rebellion.

If kids run away from an oppressive home, parental certainty means diddly-squat.

In my experience, the heavies among parents are the forever abandoned ones.
Thanks for the input. I think you read too much into it,though, and I understand context is difficult in a written forum. And thank you, too, for the abandonment prediction, I'm sure I am wiser and much better off now. How did you know that I verbally abuse my kids and beat down their self esteem at every opportunity? Yes, I find that crushing their little blossoming spirits and making sure they know just how stupid and useless they are is the best way to assure their respect and love now and in my old age.  If it hadn't been for your well thought out opinion, I might never have known! Thank you, oh, THANK you.
Hey guys,

I do realise I made a fatal mistake,one that i will learn from and remember for all my days.
However, isnt that one of the major principles of life? To better and refine yourself from your mistakes?

I was stupid,irresponsible and put myself at risk.I UNDERSTAND.Please dont assume just because I am 20,that i have no life experience,I have stories in life ,you could not even phathom.You do not know me.

I do not want any sympathy,or hugs or kisses,for that I have my friends and family,my guardians in life.I came here to get medical facts,and thanks to some great,informative people I have recieved those facts.
When it comes to sex,everybody has made a mistake or two down the line.So unless you are some shining beacon of chasity and perfection please spare yourself the hypocrisy of moral judgement.

Once again, a warm thank you to all these helpful people on the board.