Hepatits C, treatment
My husband had just begun treatment for hep C.  He is 59, stage 1.  He was 2 or 3 wks into treatment when he developed chest pain.  He has had a CAT scan, revealing a mass of some kind which may or may not be an infection, has completed a course of antibiotics, but the pain has now moved to the other side of his chest too.  Still, he does feel better and is back at work.  His hep C dr has terminated treatment for the time being, and he goes back to the pulmonary dr tomorrow.

I have not "sat in" on my husband's visits to the dr, so I don't really know what they've told him.  My question is--does anyone know if there is a connection between hep C or hep C treatment and lung disease?

Thanks,

Laika
No, but it is possible to have a lung heart problem as well as Hep c.  I think the doctor did the correct thing to stop this treatment untill they figure out what is going on.  Good luck

My platelets are going down down down each week.  I am just now at the lowest number of "normal" but I don't know what this means (considering it looks like it will keep on going every test).

Anybody know much about these little suckers?
Glad to see your hgb back in the green zone ! But keep checking it every week or so until it stablizes. If it gets too much above 14, ask your doctor about cutting back the Procrit some. Regarding platelets -- if you're low "normal" you're doing better than a lot of us. I'm 118 now and have been as low as 80. Some people treat with much lower platelet numbers. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Goof shows up soon and asks for a a low-cost platelet loan :)

-- Jim
Laika! long time! are you almost a yr post tx? I was trying to remember if it was you or Layla.

The tx can cause aggravation of existing respiratory conditions and perhaps trigger some latent ones. Silvermoon had to be hospitalized during tx from the asthma aggravation, but did not stop tx. Another member here, recently had a chest pain of unknown origin with no other symptoms(cough, fever, etc) and it turned out to be some "subclinical" infection that the Z pack took care of, did not stop tx either.  It seems that we might get "subclinical" infections that might go undetected and untreated during tx, and add to some of the misery we feel.

I hope he gets his pulmonary condition under control. He must be dissappointed.

take care
Hi Cuteus, glad to see you're still here!  As I recall, you cleared right around the time I did.  I finished in mid-August 2005 and return in Feb to be tested again.

Yes, my husband is disappointed.  I worry enough for both of us, since that is unfortunately my nature.

Your comments sort of tracked what the dr told my husband (I think!)  So, somehow that is comforting.

Thanks,

Laika

Just got back the CBC on the twice weekly 40,000 x 2 Epogen my hgb is back up to...............13!!!!!!!

No WONDER I feel so much BETTER!!!

Just though I would post that so people can see how VALUABLE Epogen/Procrit is when the anemia hits!

I went from almost 15 down to 9 in just over a week and it was so painful it's beyond description.  Getting it up to 11 helped MUCh but this...it almost NORMAL!!!!!!!! :)

My lung collasped 2 years ago while I was on peg/rib. I was in the hospital for 9 days - NOT GOOD!  I ended up getting off the tx due to this - could not face that happening again.  I'm back on & crossing my fingers for no lung problems!

I think all we all do is worry!  ;-)  As soon as i saw that one going down down down I was like help help help please what does this mean heeee hee.

HonestlY i like to know what it all means and does instead of letting something like that anemia come up on me (which I did know about but never fully understood.
You always make me laugh dont you?

I'll keep an eye on the little suckers...I dont expect problems but I do investigate all of my numbers on my paperwork so thoroughly that I had to ask.

I feel like I would like my hgb to stay right here so I am going to be watching that it doesn't get too high - which is something I would NOT have thought of believe it or not as stupid as that sounds.........for so long Ive prayed for it to go UP I never thought about it going up TOO MUCH!

You said........Question for all you smarties... Kinda leaves me out then don't it?

Glad to see your doing so much better, stay well kiddo
did my 3rd shot tues. nite- trx suks!!! but i am confident am beatin down the nasty virus..saw my doc tues aftrnoon   -he was v pleased w bloodwrk,said my alt was now normal-"very quik response" i came away inspired,but difficult feelin to sustain....the posts here help alot--i am experiencing slight lung congestion(no big thing) and lotsa time on the porcelin throne(enuff 'bout that)        JIm Jim-i am doin the cider thing,also hi-fat w my riba dosage.....not hungry at all,but i am certainly not a skinny man yet..lost anothr 4,5 lbs--i now weigh 210--at 6' 3"--don't want them lil buggrs hiding in my body no how!!! takin 1200 riba w/ lotsa watr---It is All Good if i can Clear my body & regain former energy&strength& mind
Hello there, old chum.   So sorry that your husband developed complications & could not stay the course.  Cuteus was right:  pulmonary complications are rare, but interferon has been known to cause interstitial pneumonia, worsen sarcoidosis, and so on.  The above-mentioned Silvermoon also developed pneumonia and had to be hospitalized for over a week.   Her situation was life threatening, so it's a good thing your husband's doc is exercising caution.  Let's hope those new drugs leave that fabled pipeline soon.
Doc told me the danger zone for platelets is south of 30. During TX mine have bounced between 65 and 120 but are usually in the mid 70's. Can't see any reason why they fluctuate.  There was discussion whether Neumega is a remedy for low plats while on TX.
My plats. have gone straight down too, but have hugged 55 for the last few weeks.  Doc is kinda concerned, but I dont have any signs of bleeding(bruising,bloody nose, gums).  Doc also said there is no drug to boost plats that works very well.  Of course, I am in Costa Rica!
Hi Califia...good to see your smiling face here!  Are you feeling good again?  My hair is starting to grow in finally.  I highlight my hair, and in record time I've got ROOTS--and glad to have them!  During my treatment, hovering at this website daily, I didn't remember any lung complications.  In spite of how serious it all sounds, it does make me feel better that it is likely something that is connected with the interferon, which is hopefully reversable, and not lung cancer.  This really, really makes me feel better.  At the same time my husband began having trouble with his chest, his best friend at work suddenly died, making us both more edgy about our health.

Did you have a 3-month test last month?  I surely do hope you are well.  Thanks for being here,

Laika
I wish you the best with your current course of treatment.  My husband is hoping to get this lung thing behind him and get on with his treatment, but one thing at a time, right?

I truly value your shared experience, thanks.

Laika
hey! great news about ur hgb!!! now, will you still take the procrit?  (you are on procrit, right?)  glad to hear your good news, and hope all is well with you and your family!
be well,
chelle

hgb, platelets and ANCs..That stinks, the trifecta of TX.  At least with your Ambien you can sleep through it.  Got my Rx for Ambien this am, pick it up on the way home.  Ah, sleep, perchance to wake up 8 hours later.  (Apologies to the Bard)
LAIKA,  it's great to feel human again, isn't it?   It's too bad that the two of you can't share a victory over  the evil entity.  Yet, that is.....

Well, thanks so much for asking, and here's the news I've been keeping quiet about:  my 3-month PCR shows NEG.   Am truly springing back to life, although the hair remains pretty scraggly.  Perhaps ratty is a better word for it.  And speaking of ratty hair,

COUG, back in the day when I looked like this _intentionally_,  of course I frequented the Sound of Music, being a bit flipperized, if you get my drift.    However, perhaps in deference to Dirk, I never committed any heterosexual acts on his club's premises, or that of any other musical den of iniquity for that matter.   (Too busy shmoozing, I guess. )    It's sad we carried away this souvenir from what was in many ways a remarkable scene, but at least we're still walking.  Lots of good people left us far too early.
NYgirl: "I feel like I would like my hgb to stay right here so I am going to be watching that it doesn't get too high -"

Good move. I read where if they get too high they can blow the top of your head right off. No kidding. I saw a picture on the internet - looked like a giant zit filled with cream of elephant soup. Like John Belushi meets Mt Vesuvius or something.  

Jim: "I wouldn't be surprised if Goof shows up soon and asks for a low-cost platelet loan..."

No ****. I'd trade a night with Merrianne and Ginger for a pickle-jar of platelets right now - 40 and falling last week.

Neumega is nasty stuff and can cause complications. Not often prescribed. Procrit can also be platelet friendly. It seems vioxx had some pro-platelet properties not shared by other Cox II drugs, but they ain't making that no more.

Hoping to get #12 in this week at full-dose, then we'll see what next week brings.    

wow, what a travail for you! I'm glad that you were able to resolve some of these issues, stories like yours inspire the rest of us and also assure us that no matter how scary a situation, most of these tx issues can be resolved eventually. Glad youre better.
Hey, you know where I stand Sweetie, couldn't be happier, you so, so derserve your SVR, ... 60 weeks in the jungle, whew!!!And everyone loved your witty and thoughtful dispatches from there as well...
One great big ol' fat ass <b>Horaaaaaaay</b> for you!
Hi Laika,,,,Sorry to hear your husband had to stop his tx but his other health issues are more important now.  I know its got to be hard on you going through all of this but know you are a strong lady and this will be one more hurdle you will get over!

Califia,,,ha Whats the big secret???  This should be a day of celebration and yesssss,,,,we are all very interested in this great news!  Congratulations,,,,,Looks like you got it licked!

Ina,,,I'm glad you are still on the meds and feeling better! I'm sure its not much fun to be sick on top of interferon sick! Glad to hear that someone jumped in to help you through it and keep you going.  Take care of yourself!
NYgirl,  I'm celebrating for you!  Getting your anemia under control is a huge battle with this tx and you have it well under control!  I'm happy for you......and a little envious I must admit.  Mine dropped almost 7 months ago to 7.3 and even with 60,000 units of Procrit weekly it is still stuck at 7.3. I've tried to get my dose of Procrit up to 80,000 but the doctors tell me I don't weigh enough with all my weight loss. So for the past many months I've dug down deep, told myself to grit and bear it....and keep living my life.  I am one of those "oddballs" that Procrit didn't jumpstart my Hemoglobin but at least it did help in keeping it stable at 7.3 without going any lower! Now that you have your Hgb under control maybe you will feel like YOU again!  Congratulations again.

Laika, So good to see you post again.  I am so happy you are doing well.  I have no words of wisdom for your husbands situation.....Some good suspects are above however.  I hope he finds out soon what is causing the problem and hope he is able to resume his tx.  Good luck to you both. You were one of those people who helped me a great deal at the beginning of my tx journey last January......I only have 5 weeks to go! What a ride!
Best to you, Scott
Well, I've congratulated you already about your 3 month PCR, but never hurts to hear it again!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've got my fingers crossed that I can share that same news come mid January!!

One another note, are you still taking supplements post tx?
I'm so glad you were able to continue on with treatment.  My husband's chest pain keeps moving around too (has had since 11/15).  He took amoxicillin for 2 1/2 days and was no better, so I pushed him back to the dr.  He was given something else...can't remember what, not Zithromax, has finished those pills and it's not gone--has just moved into the right side of his chest, as well.  So you are fortunate that yours went away so quickly and you were able to go on with treatment.  He was out of the country for the first 2 days of it--maybe he didn't get to a dr or on the right meds fast enough.  Today we will find out more.

Thank you for your story...

Laika
Congratulations on your neg PCR!  This is wonderful news.  I so admired your attitude through it all--despite your long & brutal treatment, offering info, a laugh or comfort to others--often not just witty or clever, but beautiful.

Laika
Hey dutchboy, you helped me too!  The last time I checked on you was a long time ago (seems like), but you were definitely having a rough patch.  I'm so glad you got through it without having to discontinue treatment!  And only 5 wks left, that's great!  I have to say, the last 2 weeks of treatment were the hardest for me, not because of anything physical, but just because every minute seemed like it lasted a day.  Stay busy/distracted during that time!!

Good luck to you--

Laika
May the Goddess shine upon you all.  And to Snook (thanks for the nudge), the answer is no.  I still believe in supplementation, but in practical terms you can say I am lapsed.   Just need a good long winter's rest from checking my watch four times a day and swallowing pills.   Nonetheless, I am certain that kicking off the first six months with herbal and vitamin overkill held me in very good stead.   I continue to be very careful with my diet, eat locally grown organic food,  make shitake tonic soups, and so on.   As you are on a similar regime, it wouldn't surprise me at all if you get the same happy news as I have.
about time you share that little secret of yours with MH! I expect a whole thread for the 6th month negative, ok?

It is just that we hold our breath waiting for the results and it gets a tad lightheaded to do that for too long.
well deserved SVR! El fruto de tu ardua labor.
You get congestion later in the treatment. I'm on week38 out of 48 and at about week 29 or 30 I started getting a cough that has to be treated daily. They said it normal but not all get it. As far as him going ot the doctor by himself it was part of my agreement with them that someone always went with me. Sometime we get a little bit of a brain cloud and will need someone to ask the right things and tell what really is going on. I also had a liver transplant four years ago.  

Don
about the lunesta thing, yeah, you you have to play with it. And it doesn't work unless you take at least 5mg's of it, and I'm very drug sensitive, maybe someone else would need more. When I take it, I put it way on the back of my tongue and and then flick my tongue back really fast and chase it really quickly with some juice mixed with water.I have no problems then with the nasty taste. I guess youre taste buds already go through the rigors of hell with just the tx though. To sleep perchance to dream huh? what we won't do for sleep nowadays.
You are totally right my friend, hopefully I can learn from my mistakes and not be lazy...what would it have cost me to take my big rear end to the medicine chest to be sure of what I'm writing about???Especially when it comes to dosages??Mea culpa! 2mg is what I have to take to make sure Lunesta works.

As far as the soy milk, this is still controversial, and if you look at the studies pro and con, they are not the best either way. I have read that if you keep it under 5 oz a day, youre probably fine. I think there are people who give huge doses to small children, babies, and it's been my experience that when you give large doses of anything to developing bodies it might not be a good thing, they tend to develop allergies to it because their bodies can't process it very well, like what happened with me and dairy milk as a small child, once again, moderation....as the Buddhists say, always the middle way.....If you are concerned because you have thyroid probs, there is always rice and almond milk. I just "tend" to think that a little bit of soy milk (I get organic vanilla) is not harmful.

What I do is use a little bit of creamy yogurt, a few oz of vanilla soy milk, bluberries, strawberries, a half banana (lots of sugar in bananas) some whey protein powder, and blend it up. I have that with my supplements. Always feel really good after that. Wish you the best.
You know, assuming we're both videogenic--but of course we are--and given our delightfully diametric politics,  we could become the perfect tv news Odd Couple.  Maybe Foreseegood could pitch something to CNN.     Which is just to say, look out, world at large!  The energy is back.  Susan, I just want to tell you how much I've appreciated our exchanges and your ongoing encouragement and support on this board.   A big warm hug from left field.
Right back at-cha from the far right.  Hannity and Colmes, watch out...here comes Tallblonde and Califia! LOL  At least there won't be any arguments between us when it comes to herbs and supplements.    I've learned so much from you about them and will always be grateful for that.

Susan
I came across an abstract last month of a study that was presented at the Liver Meeting in San Francisco that made a connection between HCV and lung disease.  I don't have time to look for it now, but I'll post the link to it when I have more time.

Hope you're doing okay post-tx. Sorry to hear about your husband.

Susan
Whew!  What a relief!  Congratulations on your great news.  I hope each day moves you closer and closer to feeling normal again so you can put this chapter of your life permanently behind you.

Warm regards,
Susan
Jim, my HGB has ranged anywhere from 13.7 to 15.4, presently 14.9.  All I read was that if you HGB is high to drink more water, suggesting that dehydration can cause the HGB to be elevated.  Is there something else I should know about HGB. BTW I am not treating these are just numbers over the past 11 years.

Pirate
You know, I never thought of that. Just figured it was the Procrit kicking up my hgb when maybe I was just dehydrated from some diuretics I'm taking for my bp. LOL.
Hepatitis C virus and the lung: implications for therapy.

Moorman J, Saad M, Kosseifi S, Krishnaswamy G.

Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, James H. Quillen VAMC and James H. Quillen College of Medicine, East Tennessee State University, Box 70622, Johnson City, TN 37614, USA. ***@****

Hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection is a chronic blood-borne disease that affects > 4,000,000 individuals in the United States. The majority of individuals with HVC infection acquire a chronic hepatitis that predisposes them to the complications of cirrhosis and hepatoma. Chronic HCV infection is, however, associated with multiple extrahepatic manifestations as well, including recently recognized effects on the lung. These include primary effects on lung function, as well as secondary effects in the settings of progressive liver disease and drug treatment for HCV. In this article, we discuss the emerging clinical data that support a role for HCV infection in lung disease, describe the multiple pulmonary manifestations of this viral infection, and outline the therapies available for specific pulmonary complications of chronic HCV infection.

PMID: 16236966 [PubMed - in process]