Hepatitis C Community
Hepatitus c

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hepatitus c

Just been diagnosed with hepatitus (hepatitis) c genotype 3.Absolutely gobsmacked as i've never injected drugs or had a blood transfusion.I have however had tatoos.I will be 40 years old next month.I suppose the cause of infection is irrelevent.I want to start treatment but need a biopsy first.As somehow my blood clot count is low the doctor won't do biopsy yet not to risk internal bleeding.I have been a binge drinker since i was in my 20's so my liver probably isn't too healthy without this infection.What i want to know is how bad the treatment is as i need to work to keep my family supported.I am a bit scared for my future.
Welcome to the forum,
I can't remember the statistics but a good number of people have no idea how they got hep C. Tattoos are a likely possibility. It doesn't matter how you got it, what matters is what you do now.

First off, don't drink any alcohol~none.
Having hep C and drinking is like pouring gasoline on a fire.

You should indeed find out the condition of your liver, which a biopsy will do, before deciding what to do next. If your liver is in really good shape, you might want to take a wait and watch approach.

There are new interferon free oral meds being  tested which look very promising and have had great results for genotypes 2 +3.
If a trial interests you, you might talk to your doctor about it.

As far as treatment goes, for genotype 3, w/o cirrhosis, you're looking at 24 weeks of interferon and ribavarin, what's often referred to as SOC.
Side effects vary from slight to severe, no way to guess how'll hit you, but depression can be a problem, and if I had kids at home, this would be my biggest concern.
Some people take anti depressants during treatment, which can be begun before to be sure you're on the right one.

Here's web sites where you can get more info:
hepcadvocate.org
epidemic.org
Thank you for the post.I have 2 sons aged 10 and 7 years so want to stay as healthy as possible.Alcohol i have given up and feel better for that.Keep in touch.
I just sent you a message. Check your inbox!
Thankyou.
Dee1956 commented on photo
Dee1956 commented on meegWpaw's status
Dee1956 uploaded a new photo
Track your weight over time