Hepatitis C Community
High AST/SGOT

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

High AST/SGOT

Good afternoon, I am wondering about a liver test result that i got back on Friday it was for an AST/SGOT my resul was 38 adn it had a H for high beside of it. Normally as anyone would be i am worried until I see my Dr. next week.

I am 28 years old, I have mvp and i went ot my Dr a couple of weeks ago having palpatations so I had an echo done to make sure everything was ok....the results were fine but he wanted to proceed with alot of lab work since i am staying so tired lately. Anyone have any info, do I have anything to worry about? Thanks for any input.
Did the Dr. say you have Hep C?

Beagle
NO,he hasn't told me anything that is the problem. I can't see or talk to him until next week so until then I am going to worry to death. Has anyone had any similar results or advice??
Do you know if he did blood work to see if you do have Hep C?  Everyone here on the forum has Hep C.  First you need to rule this out.  If you did not have blood work I would ask you dr to do the testing to find out if you do have it first, before worrying your self to death.  There are many things that can cause a rise in AST. Try not to worry and wait and see if you have it.  

Beagle
I is good that you're not going to fret or worry until you get a chance to talk with your doc further.  Elevated LFT's can be the result of many things.  Often times they need to be considered with other counts and sometimes further testing to nail down why they may be elevated.

I found the following URL a good place to start in trying to understand what all the numbers mean and how they are used together in an attempt to pinpoint what may be going on:

http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/cbc/glance.html

Hopes this helps and feel free to stop in again if you've got further questions, comments, or concerns.
THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH AND HOPE YOU HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!!!!!
I dont know if you drink alohol but alcohol can cause those factors to be high. It might be a good idea if you drink to stop it until you resolve this. Lots of other things can make them raise too, you just need a lot more info and it sounds like your doctor is on top of it. Stop by and let us know what you find out after your doctor visit if you get a chance.
Mine was in the 200s when I started treatment - 38?  It doesn't sound too bad but I still would like to know WHAT was killing off cells in my liver you know?

I would say you need more testing done to figure out why if it comes up high.

But like everyone said if you drank before hand (a few nights even) it could raise it up (alcohol kills the liver, it's poison to the max) so maybe fast a few days before from booze, tylenol and meds = things like that and see you get a real good number.
I don't know which lab you're using but an AST of 38 is within the normal reference value with some labs. Quest, for instance, states 3-50 as normal range on my sheet but I'm a male over 50 and I don't know what the normal range is for females or if it's different. But, I would guess that 38 isn't very elevated regardless of which lab you use. Mike
Hey Beagle, not everyone here has Hep C.  I for one have AIH.  ; ) Just thought I'd point that out so Angie doesn't feel like she has to kleave if she finds out she doesn't have Hep C.