Hepatitis C Community
High AST and ALT levels...... possibilities?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I failed a life insurance policy blood screen so I went to the DR for furhter tests.  Eveything checked out within normal limits except for my AST 53 and ALT 92.  I was neg for a mono screen.  My md has suggested hepatitis however I am not a drinker not even socially, only one partner, no illcitdrugs,ect.
Any thoughts on what these levels could indicate? I had a physical in Sept 05 and AST and ALT were within normal limits.

Hello and welcome, glad to see a colts fan here. You might want to take forseegoods advice and check things out. She's one of the smart ones here. Take care and good luck to yea.

Stay well and go colts.........John
HCV is tested by most companies that issue policies. If you write them a letter, you can get a copy of your blood work, and they will send them directly to you. They may not be able to tell you over the phone, and the agent shouldn't know, because of HIPAA laws. Sometimes they get elevated and it is not HCV related. A blood test is the only way to know for sure.
Hi, don't want to give you any unnecessary panic, because many things could elevate your alts. But it is a good thing that you do a test to find out if you have hepatitis, just to rule it out. If you do, and that's a big if, please don't panic over that as well, because it's not as bad as you'll work it up in your head. Just get tested out and then work from there. Just because you havn't done illicit drugs or drank very much, doesn't mean that you don't have it, because it is a blood borne disease. But like I said, before you freak out, get properly tested.

Too bad about the Broncos. he he he. (Just thought I'd inject some levity in here, remember, rely on your sense of humor and optimism!)
I don't think they can turn you down just from high enzyme levels but they sure can for HepC.  However you dont appear to be diagnosed with it...so you need to find all the paperwork and prove that fact.

Then I'd get a better test and find out if I did (but I'd try and get the insurance first LOL I tell you we learn lots of protective things having this disease.  My company issued my life insurance day one starting there...I was NOT diagnosed until a year later so I got through ;-)
I found out today that I was negative for all hepatitis (a,b,c)  I am going tomorrow for a ultrasoound of the liver.  Any ideas of what could be going on.  Thanks for the help
So many things could of accounted for elevated liver enzymes, hard exercise, a medication you took, even something in some bad food or something that you don't even know about. I'd just continue the testing and rule things out as your doc suggests, then test later on again...prob clear up on it's own and you'll never know why, ha! Hope that's the case, but last I heard I couldn't tell the future, just think I can! ha ha! Good for you, if youve been reading here at all, you prob don't want this disease. Good luck to you!
I was told on an other post to ask you about Thalassemia.  Do you have Thalassemia? If so how is you HGB and are you on procrit?  Any info would be of great help.

Thanks,

Bob
My nurse also told me that elevated liver enzymes can result from an infection or a cold.  There's a lot of things that can do it.  Also, have you been exposed to any sort of fumes recently, paint a room?  Also, steatosis, or fatty liver can result in elevated enzymes.

I agree with foreseegood, however, and would recommend you get tested for Hep A, B, and C, just to be on the safe side.  Also recommend you get vaccinated for Hep A/B, if you've never been exposed...just so you never have to worry about it. <g>

If everything comes back A-Okay, I'd retest in a couple of months.  If it's normal then, I'd chalk it up to the liver kicking butt on a cold or something more mundane.  :)
All my Hep test came back non-reactive.  I went for a abdominal ultrasound today.  

To answer a recent question that was posed about recently painting a room. I have not painted a room but just moved into a new house.

I guess my question is can your ALT and AST levels be elevated and it really be nothing (virus or cold) or do these increase of levels always mean disease,ect?

Also if my abdominal ultasound comes back normal do you think I will have to have a needle biopsy of the liver?

thanks for the help
Hi everyone. Just found your site. I am beside myself with worry and am looking for a positive response! I had breast cancer in 1988, no probs since. However routine blood tests showed my liver enzyme levels are up. I had the test repeated yesterday but my GP is already talking of a scan. He asked if I consumed a lot of alcohol which I dont -perhaps 1 -2 glasses a week, if that. Any comments from you guys out there would really help this scared witless person who feels very alone here in the UK
Hi there, glad you found the forum! try to post your comment a little above this one, a more recent thread so that more folks get to see you. Many things can elevate liver enzymes from herbs to foods. You can't worry too much until they do more tests to rule out things like viral hepatitis or autoimmune hepatitis. It is nerve wracking to wait. But high liver enzymes can be a symptom of many conditions. they will have to rule them out one by one. Try and get a hepatitis panel to rule out a virus.'
good luck

I am having similar issues.  Here is my history:

10/05 - Went to doctor for swollen lymph node in back of neck.  He gave prescribed an antibiotic that I opted to pass on and ordered blood tests.  The lymph node receeded.  The only abnormality was ALT of 85.

11/05 Second blood test to look for Hepatitis, HIV, etc.  Everything came back clear.  ALT of 111.

12/05.  
I went to the dentist with a gum inflammtion and he said I had an infection.
I have surgery to level the gum in my mouth where a wisdom tooth was pulled (3 years ago).  The surgery was performed because a flap of gum was trapping food inside the gum.  (I had read that dental issues could cause high liver enzymes).  Other than that, my dental health is solid.

1/05.  More blood tests, CT of liver, Chest X-Ray.  ALT @ 103.  CT and X-Rays show everything normal.  My doctor now tells me that he wants me to see a specialist who deals with liver issues.  

I am 27, male, 5'11, 200 lbs.  I drink once or twice a month.  Don't smoke.  I work in an office.  I have never had any health problems.

I would appreciate it if anyone could provide any beneficial information.

Thanks.
No one will see you down here-best to post up top. Good Luck to you.