Hepatitis C Community
High Ammonia Levels

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

High Ammonia Levels

I've had HepC for many years now. I just recently found out about my high levels. The doctor wanted me to take lactulose, but to be honest I can't stand the taste of it. I've had to take so many meds in my lifetime that it's very hard for me to take any medicines. Is there anyone out there that can give me some advice?
Yes, take the lactulose! I'm sorry but I stopped taking it and landed up in the ER, completely delirious. I could have died. I only have small snippets of memory from that episode.
You also should have a low protein diet, no red meat, just chicken, fish and tofu.

I didn't like the taste of lactulose either but you can drink lots of water or juice immediately after.
A good doctor told me how to regulate it.  
You want 2-3 soft stools daily. If you have more, use less.

Good luck
OH
the brain damage caused by high ammonia levels not to mention accelerated liver damage are not what you want either right?

I think the better part of valor is to tolerate the taste so that you can keep your wits about you...unless dymentia, brain fog and liver failure sound good to you.
mb
I used it as a prebiotic. The first script was unflavored and a teaspoon hid very well in a cup of coffee, the next was flavored with some citrus something YUK!
Take the Lactulose - that is the least of things that you might not want to do.  I take it straight.  But mix it in a glass of juice if you want.   It doesn't matter how it gets into you!

Sonni
Hi I am a little late to help however I thought better late than never.
I take the lactulose as a preventative.  I have researched what can happen if your ammonia gets to a level that affects your brain.  I did not know the other things and will research further.  Out of all the stuff I have taken in an attempt to kill this virus, two tablespoons a day is not much.  I would eat dirt if it would make me well.
I wish you luck
Dee
I take mine mixed with 8 ozs. of Orange Juice.  Covers the nasty flavor well.  Having had a bout of Hepatic Encephalopathy I can tell you the Lactulose is the better alternative.  Good luck.
If the lactulose is an issue for you there is an alternative.

If you stay well hydrated, and on a decent diet, and add fiber tablets to your regime you may be able to reduce your ammonia without the lactulose.

This is the method I used because my ammonia was not terribly high, and because I know the sucralose adds a chlorine molecule in its breakdown process, which is not good.

Since my ammonia was around 120 I decided to go the natural route only...smaller protein portions, and more fiber, and it worked for me...down to 22 now.

However, if levels were very high then I think the lactulose would be the only alternative...it prevents the absorption in the first place. Yes it has issues, gas, etc etc, but sometimes we have to make adjustments.

for me, it was just easier to curb comsumption since I'm not a big meat eater anyway, but I understand for some folks this is a hard sell. None the less, the goal of regular soft movements is what allows for less ammonia build up, and that goal must be reached. I eat 3 servings of fruit and or veggies a day, and take half a costco fiber tablet, twice a day. This works with no gastro disturbances, unlike the lactulose which had major issues that way.