Hepatitis C Community
High Ferritin Levels

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

High Ferritin Levels

I have just received my blood test results back.  The only abnormal result that I got was a ferritin level of 520 NG/ML.  This is extremely high from what I can tell.  My iron level is 153, and my TIBC is 308.  My transferrin saturation is 50%.  I am a 40 yr/old male, 6', 190 lbs, good cholesterol and other indicators, and excellent health. I do take a number of supplements, but none of them have any extra iron.  I follow the DASH diet on advice of my physician.  Not on meds for hypertension.  BP 130/80. Any ideas on what might be causing this?
hi have you have a genetic test done for the gene c282y. i am above 1000ml high on ferritin level and my doctor say it was due to thalasemia minor ..i am 140lb and no problem in any other condition except high in ferritin. my dad and brother have it as well and i am pretty sure it is cause by genetic but the doctor that tested on my gene say i do not have hemachromostis since i am asian and my blood show negative for both genetic testing. in my country people used to say that thalasemia minor are caused by over consumption of sea food and this is due to our ancestor that lived in the sea for over 1000 years and passed to us. i have switch my doctor every few year just to see if there are a doctor today can help me to figure out my high ferritin. have u have any thalasemia problem because doctor belief that this is one of the cause for high ferritin. if you search online there are many reason why people have high ferritin. oh yeah i don't drink and smoke either and that is one of the leading cause as well... good luck to you rocky.

-jason