Hepatitis C Community
High Ferritin levels
About This Community:

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

High Ferritin levels

Hi everyone,

I am on 9/24 and have a question about bloodwork.  Seems the nurse practitioner didn't have an answer but seemed very unconcerned.  I had some tests for iron and iron binding capacity.  Here are the results:
                              Reference Ranges
Iron          149             40-180   MCG/DL
TIBC          354             250-390  MCG/DL
Saturation    42              15-50    %
Ferritin      242 H           10-144   NG/ML

So the iron levels are all within normal except for the ferritin which is extremely high according to the reference ranges.  Another nurse practitioner told me this is normal on tx but I'm not so sure.  Unfortunately, I learned about this late yesterday so I don't have any doctors to check in with. BTW, my ferritin before treatment was 183.8 and that lab's reference range was 10.0-291.0 so it was within normal.

Anyone have any knowledge about this?  What I've found on the web is a little scary.

Thanks

-cbee
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank

My iron, ferritin & transferritin levels prior to Tx were above normal & my doc wasn't too concerned about it. I also treated for 26 weeks & at the end, all the levels returned to normal & I SVR'ed.
No one knows why in ~50% of HCV patients Fe levels are elevated. However, there's a good correlation of Fe levels returning to normal after attaining SVR. If your initial liver biopsy looked decent (no extensive cirrhosis) don't stress yourself mentally. Concentrate on finishing Tx first & I'm sure the rest will resolve itself.

Good luck all,
Ben
Blank
Have you been tested for Hemochromitosis? It is a genetic disorder that 1 in 12 have that can cause the body to store too much iron. 240 ferritin isn
Blank
Thank you so much.  My biopsy 4 years ago showed Grade 1/Stage 2 so it wasn't too bad.  Thank you for relieving my anxiety for the weekend.  Now to find something else to obsess about!  Can you believe my boss said my attitude has changed!  He knowns about the tx.  Gee . . .

Thank you so much for the quick response.

-cbee
Blank
i normally have iron deficient anameia due to crohns disease and need cosmofer infusions every 3-4 months to keep levels up. Bloods last week were HB10.7 not too bad but to my amazement my ferritin was 569! is this too high and why after 4-5 years of needinf infusions of cosmofer iron hasd my ferritin gone high? I expected to need an infusion as not feeling too good.thanx wendy
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hepatitis C Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...