Hepatitis C Community
High Fever

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

High Fever

Hello Everyone,

It's me again. My dad has high fever and he said he feels cold.Is this normal or I have to give him some medication. I tried to call to the hospital they said the nurse will call you back that was last night but no body call me. He had his 4th shot on friday night.

Thanks to everyone.
Liza
It seems pretty late to me for him to be getting a fever as a result of the shot which was on Friday.  It sounds like he has a regular fever or infection type thing. I'd take a few tylenol (2) and call the doctor asap.

I don't really think this sounds like an Interferon reaction, I mean it could be, but doesn't seem so likely.

Always better to err on the side of calling the doctor.

PS Although it's not good to take a lot of pain/fever relievers...taking 2 is alright when necessary.  :)

Keep calling over and over and over and over until somebody calls you back.  Eventually they will get sick of you or ask to speak directly to the doctor and tell him that they would not respond if necessary write a letter later on and tell him. He probably doesn't know his staff is horrible (mine call me back RIGHT AWAY all of the TIME!)
High Fever is not good now matter who waht when contact the local er room for advice and the fever can cause him to feel cold but PLEASE CALL THE ER ABOUT THE FEVER ASAP
Don't assume its the treatment. It could be some other type of infection. If he is on treatment some of the medicatioin manufacturers have 24 hour toll free access to nurses to help. I take Telynol Extra strenth for the shakes and joint ache but his doctor should be the one to decide what goes through his system. 3rd shot he could be pretty fragile right now so make sure you speak to a health care provider. I hope he gets to feeling better soon and PS you're a good child to watch over your pop like that. Best of luck. Dale
Thank you for the quick responde. I will do that right now.
When you say 'high fever', How hign is it? Its not uncommon to run some what of a fever. His being cold is just from him chilling.
PS It's no problem for us ... we enjoy being here for you.

PS Make sure you are keeping an eye on his hemoglobin level about now...the anemia can come in very quickly and make you feel HORRIBLE.  Just wanted to remind you to make sure he is having a weekly CBC blood test so you can stay on top of that since you are being so wonderful to him by caring for him.

He is a lucky, lucky man.
Hi Liza,,,,The tx at times can cause a low grade fever and chills.  I know a couple of times when I felt so awful after the shot and thinking I must be running 104 and need to be rushed to hospital lol  I would take it and it would be about 101 but still as an adult,,,,that can make you feel pretty miserable! As with anything,,,,if its high fever,,,,you need to call the dr. Hope he gets to feeling better soon!
It wasn't unusual for me to have sweats/chills/shakes during the treatment, but most did occur within 24-72 hours after shot.  If I recall correctly, from one of you prior posts, that your dad had other med. issues and meds. I could recall incorrectly. What's best for your dad at this moment? See a doc?
This is off topic but all the others were used up.

I had an annoying thing happen this morning with my mail order pharmacy.  The 'patient care representative' was very rude to me.  I was called to place my order for my next medication delivery.  They always ask me how many shots I have left.  Usually, I have to go and look and count them.  This time I was prepared (Remember, I'm on daily shots of Infergen)  Well, this so called patient care rep was the furthist thing from caring.  She raised her voice at me 'why do you need these shots delivered so early, YOU are on a schedule!'  I told her, "I KNOW that, but I only have 6 shots left and you don't deliver on a Mon., which means that I'll be out for my Tues. night shot".  She was trying to tell me that I could just wait and get it on Wed.  So, I explained again for like the 3rd time, that I cannot 'wait' because I am on DAILY shots and have been straight along, so WHY was this such a problem for her to set me up for a Tues. delivery??  She finally gives me this huge sigh and places my order.  

My being a female I can say that I believe that this woman was so unreasonable that I believe she must have been on the RAG!  

Susan
I agree, sounds like pms, I wonder though if she is the woman that gave me my EKG? Sure sounds like it. Did she tell you to take a number? lol
She was a misserable idiot regardless of her cycle. Mike
WEll they must have been tripletts and all settled into the medical field. One of the sisters is in Memphis TN and enjoys coming at you with sharp objects. Dale
I would call the pharmacy, and trying to muster all the possible cool and deameanor, ask and insist on speaking with a supervisor/mgr of the area.  Get the mgr's name and phone number for future use. Suggest to the mgr. that you are very concerned because the rep is giving med schedule instructions that are counter to your doc's orders.  Let them know that you are aware of the refill process and the criticality of having the meds at your disposal, according to your doctors wishes and direction. Susan, you of all people have the right to be irritated to the max.  Put it aside for a sec and use the cool determination that you have had through TX x 7.  Get a name and phone/email info.  Kick butt.
glad you reminded me of that one! your story made me think of that movie 'meet the parents' where Ben stiller is the only passenger to board, and the gate agent makes him wait to board, until she has called his row! I could not believe the similarities! I hope you can laugh about it now!

btw, it was cardiokickboxing, where I fake kicks and punches into the air, much like what I do here...
YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CAN DO, BEAMISH,LADY,****, I CANT REMEMBER ANYMORE NAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!BUT YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE. ALL THOSE SWEET POSTS HELPING ME WITH MY LIL FREAKIN HEAD-TRIPS. I AM MUCH BETTER, THANKS FOR NOT JUST TELLING ME "TO GET OVER IT" YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I HOPE YOU CATCH THIS POST SINCE I HAD TO PUT IT UNDER A DIFFERENT THREAD

LILMOMA
Yeah i've laugh about it, even more when i've dropped off a few of those postage paid comments cards in the mail. You call it cardiokickboxing i call it kickboxing, one thing for sure is whether its here or in the real world i sure don't want to be on the receiving end of it. "YIKES"
All geez thanks, and yes i know im one of those sweet ones, (blushing here), not to sure about some of thoses other ones though. A Few here don't have both oars in the water, but they know who they  are. Right goof, flguy, beam, Jim, strator, dale, bb, mike and some others i know i missed.

PS hows charley doing? still biting ya?
OMG! yes, biting at me is putting it nice. I have to be real careful how I use the muscle in my legs or they go into a cramp.
Today, my mouth is going completely raw, I drink till I nearly drown, so it is not from lack of fluids.
Tomorrow, I go see the vampires.
lilmoma
can do Wait, I thought I was told, 'Sink oars,
swim."

lilmoma- They are awesome. People here aren't about 'getting over it,' they're about 'getting through it.'

Tselere-Let us know how your Dad  makes out with the fever. Last week cause my Dad had a urinary tract infection, I made sure we take his temp first thing in the morning, before he takes any tylenol type stuff that may mask how high his temp really was. Your Dad is probably very proud to have such a sweetheart for a daughter.

Have sx, Will Travel,
Paladin
thanks for asking about me im doing shot 11 friday,..sides have been preety good just tired and brain fog and some stomach upset my white cells are low but holding thier own so far so good on the red...as you know my 2 youngest have had strep well it hit on twice in a row and my youngest is on his 3 round...it finally just hit me change tooth brushes and just yesterday i caought my 5 yr old downing a liter of pepsi staight from the bottle no telling how long he has been doing that...had to pick up my freshman daughter at corpus  on sunday seemed she thought it was one big tatoo party not a real place of learning well maybe will try next year... and my 20 yr olds girlfriend just informed me my son is coming down from the navy on spring break and thier going to get married because  my son feels he will earn more money that way  oh Lord..i really want to post more but at the end of the day  all i can seem to do   is just read the post and get some good info and some humor along with it..i was wondering where cougereyes has been havent seen him post in a while...and once again strator thanks for asking.
Hey dude, wouldn't want ya to sink or drown. You know we love and care about you man. (Just not in the same way big chuck does though).

Slow down and try to get some sleep tonight, ok?
I did not have a fever/chills until my third wk of tx. It went up to 102 and lasted for 5 days, on and off, with a slight decrease in temp every day. Afer that episode, I carried tylenol with me a all times due to cluster days of fever.
Please let us know how high your Dad's temp went and I hope everything goes good for you and him.

Dana
lilmoma-yu sound bettr already-are yu eating bananas??-meds seem to screw w/ potasium levels hence muscle spasms.....
Can Do:how come you'r
so friggin happy!?like we need a reason?

Rocker"thks for post on study- i sure like them #'s bettr than the initial odds;hey,i'm betting the farm...c'mon now;moma needs a new pair a shoes!!!
I do feel better today (tomorrow i stick myself again tho)
I am a very upbeat person, always have been. I dont have a Good reason for it tho,...........maybe cuz I'm drinking some of my favorite coffee,  or b/c I got my house kinda clean...........

Or maybe, it just feels real*****good to know I am gonna kick the livin **** out of a real live dragon. POWER  I have found a new kind of power,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

lilmoma
you said....Can Do:how come you'r
so friggin happy

Two reasons.

First, just ain't smart enough to realise how bad i really feel.

Second, me driving you all crazy = me not driving wifey crazy,= a whole lot less ******en going on. Know what i mean jelly beam?
Being a up-beat person helps a whole lot fighten this heppy thingy. Just remember one thing while your kicking the **** out of these dragons, I am NOT a DRAGON. Heck im not even a cross-dresser.

Sure wish you'd tie ole charlie up outside though so you can get some sleep.
<i>i'm betting the farm...</i>

No need to put the farm in the line O' Beaming One! With what goes on up in that barn you could sell hourly timeshares on ebay and make some real hay.

How about I take the <b>bridle</b> consession at the front door? We give Can-do the <b>bridal</b> consession at the rear door. And the rest of the <b>spoils</b> are left for you.

Good luck on the procrit, BTW. I hope it works itself out for you.
Hey ya know I don't think I got around to congratulatin you on finishin your active duty tour o this nasty war. Ya certainly been one caring helpful inspiration to me. May your days be filled with life and love. Perchance one day, going through stuff, you'll come across  something that stops ya..."Wow this is from when I HAD hep and battled the dragon."
May your memories be of the camaraderie here and the knowledge that each day though worn, tired and afraid you valiantly took your place in the dragon's path, your defiance and courage  speaking from your heart to the dragon ..."You're rein is over here beast. I've a life to live."
Live Well, Live Valiant,
Don
Hey where and more importantly HOW ARE YOU ALL? Hope your all doing well and life is just keeping you busy?
We are missing a few;more than i can remember-lol!!....how 'bout our friend in Costa Rica?....if yu guys are out there,drop us a note-inqiuiring minds are melting
Goofy: the very thot that you would want to turn a dollar out of my equine encounters-neigh sir!!! i would not sully the stable w pursuit of filthy lucre;unless,perhaps we could discuss %  going forward say 50/50 and we split production costs:hay doesn't grow on trees& keeping all that leather harness suitably supple(reduces chafin)takes elbow grease-one way or another the elbows always figure into the equation..So,having addressed our concerns,and assuming you are amendable to our needs,we will consider your offer,but ,let me assure you:there will be NO 'backdoor' concessions,we do have standards....
What's going on with your insurance?  You mentioned it ends on March 1.  Will you be able to continue tx?
there will be NO 'backdoor' concessions,

Seems I spent half my life chasing the elusive backdoor consession... typically fruitlessly (in all meanings of the word), of course.  

Maybe this is best handled by Big Chuck. Word is he can be pretty persuasive when it comes to acqiuring the backdoor consession. Time to oil the saddle beamie?
Thoughts on the Charley's

Someone asked if you were eating bananas.  Just want to say that if you want more potassium, eat potatoes and peanuts--both are at the top of the list to supply potassium.  Surprisingly, bananas are somewhere in the middle.

Also, water, water, and more water.  

missmiss

I have noticed your post twice now on a few people.  Thanks for asking.  I too, like you have had a situation with my father back home.  His doctors found a spot on his thyroid. (Keep in mind my father has been chocking for years, had a hernia removed and other things done) well when they went in to remove the thyroid, it had wrapped itself around his asophycus (? spelling), doctor said it was UUUGGly in there.  I looked at my mom and said no wonder the man has been chocking for years.  Best news, everything was benign. While I was home I also found out my dearest, most closest friend has been diagnosed with multiple sclorosis; already has brain lesions.  That was a blow to me.  We just cried and laughed and cried and laughed and hugged each other for about an hour; what are you going to do; I with hep c and now her.  She is not computer savy, so I brought her to the computer and showed her how to Google and get other info.; it did help her understand a little more and that they can give her quality of life through medications and thearpy.

For me, I go day for day.  That is all you can do for the most part.  I have reached more for my faith alot lately.  And, in turn it has helped me fine tune the character defects once again.  I am still on NO Rescue drugs.  Only tylenol; not that I do not have pain and discomfort and hard nights to get to sleep; because I do. I just choose to stay with tylenol until I can not anymore.

Thanks for being concerned.

Cajun
cajun- Thanks for the update. Hope all goes well with your Dad. Interesting about your friend. One of the first guys to help me out with this was guy I met in recovery who has MS. He is on and off interferon on a regular basis. Knew my concerns and talked to me about how he gets through. Funny combo too, him a policeman and well, then there's me. I wish you all well.

goldyn- thanks also for posting. Man you sure have your hands full. I know when I was a kid(6 of us( we passed strep back and forth so much every winter I eventually developed an allergy to penicillin. Hang in there, sounds like you got plenty of experience to help you het through.
Be Well,
Don
Flguy-meds for trx are being provided by commitmnt to care-Never give Up!!!!i will flouder thru to SVR with or without insurance,just gonna mess w/ my caviar consumption..Thanks for Asking...
Missmiss-good to know..Re :spuds&peanuts have such high potasium content,i am eating both plus a banana aday w/ yogurt= absolutely NO charley horses
Goofy-charleys pay will have to come outa your %....i gotta herd of investors at this end......and that is the bottomline.
Cajun-nice hearing from yu,sorry bout further difficultys...I am missing the Tony Cherere(sp?) seasoning for my Gumbo& i was thinking about you...Tell yur husband to keep his trowel sharp-GOODLUCK