High Iron, GGT, Ast and ALT
I am 35 years old. Just had a LFT and found the following problems. GGT@146, Iron@ 246, AST@192 and ALT@440. Other than the blood results I feel perfectly healthy. I have to admit that for the past 3 years I have drank an average of 6 to 8 beers a day along with taking over the counter pain meds. I am waiting to have the LFT's repeated and have stopped all alcohol.
My question is this: Could the alcohol be the cause of such high numbers and if so how long (if they will) do the enzymes take to return to normal? Thank You
those numbers all point to hepatitis, do you have any risk factors; prior iv drug use anytime in your past, even 20 or more years? Ever had a blood transfusion before 1992 or so? You should probably be tested, I don't think the alcohol could make those kinds of numbers, just my opinion, certainly not an expert.
just went back over your post, you should definitely not be taking tylenol w/ alcohol if that's the otc meds you are taking
Thanks for the info...I had my LFT results from the new blood test and unfortunatly they were all higher. Not sure if the increased iron is doing it or if I have Hepititis. will get hepititis results in 2-3 days. I just have a hard time believing I have this  because I have never used drugs or had a blood transfussion. I was in the military for 15 years with an anual physical which showed no signs of this. I have always had slightly high iron but never high SGOTs. Anyway, I guess I'll know something next week.
lots of vets have gotten hcv from airgun vaccinations, did you ever have one of those?
Did you have air gun shots?

Anyway....don't stress, yet.  Even if you do have hepC, at least now there is treatment (TX)...and you will have a Great Chance of Clearing!

Shebee

Oh...Welcome to the board.
I have high iron and ferritin levels also. My doctor did a test for hemachromtosis. I'm waiting for the results, it takes about a month to get them. I have Hep c 1a. I hope you'll post your results when you get them. Best wishes.
Oh I'm worried alright. Yes I did receive those air gun type vaccines in the military. I did not know HEP C was treatable. Thats a blessing in of itself. This site seems to be as well. Thank you guys for all the info and I will update everyone as soon as I get results.
I have very low anemia 7.3 and am told I should go get a blood transfussion.  Please explain this process to me.  Will this be in and out of the hospital or will that keep me days in.  Is there an alternative.  Please help.  Thanks.
Stop drinking until you find out if you have hep.  Alcohol and hep do NOT mix.  Like putting a fire out with gasoline.