High Liver Enzymes - Possible Hepatitis
My husband's doctor has been watching him because of high liver enzymes.  He's already had an ultrasound on his thyroid.  He doesn't drink alcohol but is a heavy soda drinker which might have some effect. Also I saw on the movie Super Size Me that eating a lot of fast food can raise the enzymes also.  He used to eat fast food almost everyday but has also cut down on that.   After the first test he switched to Sprite and cut down the amount of soda he drinks.  It worked to reduce his liver count a bit but he just did the bloodwork again and the liver enzymes are still high.  Now he says the doctor wants to test him for Hepatitis and get an ultrasound of his liver.  He is on medication for high blood pressure already.  I have many questions.  What TYPE of hepatitis could he have?  What is the prognosis for this?  I am upset by the news and just not able to really sit down and read the info here thoroughly right now so I am asking you all for help.  Also does hepatitis have anything to do with TB? If so how?  I am sure I will have plenty of questions later but thank you all for your help and insight now.
High liver enzymes could be caused by any number of things, but Hepatitis C, which I am most familiar with is a virus strictly transmitted by blood to blood contact.  Examples could be tattoos, shared needles, early blood transfusions, etc.  It could possibly lay dormant in one's body for many years.  Your husband needs a blood test to determine if, in fact, he has the virus.  Hepatitis C is controllable, but I am told you never get rid of the virus from your body.  Please don't worry about anything until he has the blood test and possibly a liver biopsy.  This is what I know and I hope that someone will correct me if I have misstated anything.  Hope it helps
Thanks for your reply TexasGal.  I don't think it could be Hepatitis C as none of what you said would apply to my husband.  Can you tell me more about the other types?  I seem to be more concerned about this than he is but knowledge is power and if the doctor starts talking about something I want to be able to ask the right questions.  Thanks again.
sorry forgot the list...cut and paste....

http://cpmcnet.columbia.edu/dept/gi/disliv.html
make sure the dr also checks for NASH (non alchoholic steatosis or fatty liver), other things to check for are hemachromatosis,fuliment liver disease (caused by toxic effects of certain drugs), and of course the biggies, hepatitus A, B, AND C. what ever you do don't get side tracked and take it seriously cause liver disease has no symptoms except those blood test numbers to guide the dr and the very important liver biopsy to determin liver damage...it sounds like your dr is really wanting to find the problem just make sure he does'nt let it go...certain forms of liver disease are very serious and there arn't too many phisical symptoms until it's late in the liver damage...in some cases too late to intervien...it's important to get it as early as possible...

here is a nice list of possible liver diseases...i suggest you look up some of the possibilities and discuss them with his dr...you could bring the list with you and talk to him about testing for possibilities...

hope this helps, let us know,
sandi
I also have lots of questions regarding this issue -- but I have found some answers too.  Technically, I understand that  hepatitis is an inflammation of the liver which is one cause of high liver enzymes.  That can be due to many things.  The common ones that most people think of are Hepatitis A, B, C, & D.  Some of those have no cure, but treat symptoms, others are short term -- relatively speaking.  It can be due to mononucleisis or the Epstein-Barr virus.  Doesn't have to be serious long term, but can take a few weeks to get over.  Hope things turn out well for you and your husband.