Hepatitis C Community
High liverer enzymes

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

High liverer enzymes

My son was diagnosed with hepatitis C and one of his liver enzymes was over 900. He also is HIV positive, and has
Been since April of 1984. The HIV test came out in San Francisco in April of 1984 and he was one of the first to be tested. He has got Hep C in the past year and either is denial or trying to protect me from the realities of his illness.
He is not jaundiced and doesn't want me to go in the doctors offices with him  Any suggestions for a worried 74 year
Old mother. Fourteen years ago we lost his only brother, 27 years old in a car accident. I think I need some kind of a support. Thank you any information would be appreciated.  Marilyn

This discussion is related to Blood Test - Liver Enzymes .
Hi Marilyn,
I am sorry that your son is ill and that you are worried about him.  If you could tell us some more information about your son, perhaps someone on this forum could answer your question.  How old is your son, does he know what genotype of Hep C he has, has he had a liver biopsy to determine what stage of liver damage he may have?  Has he had other vaccines to protect his liver (e.g. Hep A and Hep B)?  Does he have another support system in place, since he doesn't want to worry you?
Since he is co-infected with both HIV and Hep C there are two viruses that his liver is trying to fight against right now.  Hopefully he has a very good doctor, preferably a hepatologist.
Advocate1955
I am so sorry, your son needs to see a hepatologist soon, 900 is high, perhaps he can work with your sons present doctor to come up with a treatment plan.  There is treatment, has he had a biopsy?
I am a Mom as well, I can feel your pain, I am so very sorry.  It is hard to be a Mom.
I am sure others will be here soon to help.  As Advocate said, more information would help.

My best to you
Dee