Hepatitis C Community
Honey and Hepatitis C

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Honey and Hepatitis C

Hi, does honey help your liver fight the virus? my doctor keeps telling me to take a spoonful of honey everyday (which I really deteste), and ever since my mom keeps forcing it down my throat.  She adds like this korean ginseng extract(which helps fight fatigue and helps the brain energy-wise) and like this othis combination of bee nutrients to it and mixes it then gives me a spoonful everyday.  Does this really help or am I just taking a wasteful bunch of extra calories?
What kind of doctor is he? What country do you live in? This sounds strange to me but I am stranger in a strange land when it comes to homeopathic medicine. I have seen honey advertised to help with all kinds of ailments, who knows? There's never any data to back it up. Just exercise more if you're worried about the calories in honey. Good luck with your treatment, hope it helps.
In Chinatown, Royal Bees Jelly mixed with Ginseng is basic homeopath and does fight fatigue, definetly do it. However, I have not tried other Chinese remdies like ground up tiger penis; can't deal with the thoght of emasculating Tony the Tiger!
Headsrtails
you know a spoonful of honeys helps the medicen go oh no thats sugar i meant
Question? are you a Latin american descendant? 'cause I'am and when I was first diagnosed with HCV, my mother whom is a retired nurse, also told me to take honey, the pure one, and she still does it, calls me and reminds me of not neglecting the whatever is in honey, she tells me that there is something in it that helps the liver to regenerate. You know... I take it with some herbal tea, I try to get the real honey (expensive), Do I believe? Mmmmmm... don't know, but it does not hurt, at this point, me after treatment, I was told that my virus went undetected, Honey! if it helps my liver, hey God bless honey! if it does not, it won't kill me either.
So is up to you, I kept hearing during my treatment to be positive so, Why not Ehhhhhhhhh!.
Good Luck!
Ginseng is good for your liver, somehow. But not sure about honey, I know for sure its good as subsutition of sugar, but ... other than that I'm not sure. (pardon my english)
Hi, no I am not latin american, I am kuwaiti (middle eastern), and I see a doctor in egypt as they have the greatest doctors there.  Its something about egyptians, they all believe honey is good for you and yes that it somewhats help the liver to regenerate, and I do buy that pure expensive honey too.. hehe your mom does the exact same thing my mom does. My mom is egyptian too! I kinda believe it does help, everyone in egypt that has hepatitis C does take honey during tx and post tx and no one really has complained about it, I hear stories that people have been cured because of it.

Who knows, maybe some honey extract will be used in future medicine for hepatitis. But the ginseng really helps! Everytime I take it I feel so energetic!

God bless ginseng, god bless you all !

xoxo
Honey in pioneer times was used as an anti-biotic and can be taken internally or used as a salve on a wound to aid in the cleaning - so who knows - maybe it will help - my hubby eats a lot of toast and honey at bed-time so maybe his body is just naturally craving what it needs
or carabonita,  if you detest honey that much, the stress of ingesting it might counteract the benefits.  it is supposed to be good for you, but you have to like it, at least. Maybe the strength is too high, they sell honey of different origins and some are milder in taste than others. Red clover honey is mild in taste.
Thanks cuteus, I will try red clover honey
We were in Mandalay Burma when my husband got food poisoning. He knew it would last a day and be over. The head monk at a nearby monastery insisited he take honey and it would cure him. I guess honey has a good reputation in many places as a cureall.
hello carabonita,
my name is jose.. i was diagnosed w/ hep. c and thought while frightened
that that was the end..well, to maybe ur own surprise honey is one of the nutrients i have never neglected; i take it every single day without failing
on my daily tea which consists of different herbals and blends of them: green tea decaf from "yogi teas", tulsi from "pride of India", reishi liver guard from "health king brand", organic golden ginger from "traditional medicinals",detox from "yogi teas", and always w/ a little lemon, "yellow", and always my local state( NYS honey)...is always better to have ur local polinated honey for it helps w/ allergies too and that is closely related to ur immune system...if u live in texas for instance, try to get it from ur local area: county, or town, etc., don't worry about drinking the tea bags all together in one mug, but let it sit covered, for at least 15 min...in addition u could get milk thistle capsules, i recommend, super thysilin from "nature's way", liver 52, from "hymalaya", reishi capsules, from "new chapter",reseveratrol synergy,from "jarrow" and glutathione 500, from "jarrow also. After the conventional interferon, rivabirin treatment failed to
remove my viral load in its totallity, i've been on my own doing research on this and doctors have been surprised w/ a little curiousity of my good healthy condition...now i'm also about to do research on ginseng, that's how i got in touch w/ you..i also do chinese martial arts pretty intensely but don't do overwork on it unnecesarily..just enough..bless you..
Honey will not cure Hep C.  It might give you an energy boost...it might make you feel better.  I too am in to herbs.  Went to a Chinese herbalist in NY when I live there.  Lord knows what I was taking....very cute old man who would hold my hands and look in my eyes and then tell me what was wrong with me....  Lived in India for two years and the mamason made a marvelous smoothie every night.  When I was getting ready to come back to US I said I needed to get one of those tins of smoothie powder so I could make this smoothie I had become addicted to....couldn't....it was opid powder...hello...no wonder I slept so well.  Good God.

Point being...every culture has it's remedies.  When I was in Jamacia the matre de' and his wife drank a shot glass of their urine every day to ward off illness.  I too have done research on herbs and remedies and was even thinking about going to school to become an herbologist.... I agree with what  bodhitachild said about local honey...it has been shown in studies that it best to use honey grown within your locale.... and what she said about teas.  You have to be careful on your sources...and when I asked my doctor about herbs he emphatically said do not take milk thistle.

I do love the properties of ginger and ginseng...I wonder if bodhitachild was doing all of these herbs while on tx or waited until after.  I will not recommend drugs or herbs to anyone but will tell you to research, read and talk to your doctor. I use honey or agvae in my coffee or tea.  I make ginger tea with a strong black green Indian tea in an Indian method.  Use a lot of lemons which you're not suppose to use while on tx but I use lemons on everything.  Ginger too.  

Good luck....if you don't like it...don't drink it.  Take a spoonful of hone and mix with a tablespoon of peanut butter, chop up half a apple and mix together...    
I don't know if you are aware, but this chain of posts is nearly 7 years old.
And yes, some of these recommended foods etc are not able to be taken whilst on Incivo.