How did you find out you had Hep C?
Rocker's thread about annual LFT testing got me wondering.  How did you learn that you had Hep C?

I was tested after my cancer surgeon noticed scarring on my liver when he reviewed my annual follow-up CT scans.  Later I learned that my PCP (former) had ignored elevated ALT and AST for more than 25 years.  By the time I was tested the liver damage was stage 2/3.  Good thing the surgeon ordered that test and asked questions or I would not have gotten tx!

jd

and still today it goes on...doctors saying....oh...its ok...you just yellow because eat too much curry...just go home and get sick as we can make money off treating you later
Why is there no standard hep test done at the yearly checkup?...can you lift up the rug?..i got the broom
"If a person tests for hep B antibodies and gets checked for the hep B virus and is UD...does this mean he had the virus and it was killed off by his own body?"

No..it means you never had Hep B.  Same as with Hep C, the antibodies remain.  The reason I thought it was only blood that was a problem is because I went to donate blood at 18 and was told I couldn't and my doctors had never told me that my Hep B was an issue for anyone including me.  I still have antibodies but I'm immune and non-contagious.  The majority of people with Hep B manage to clear it on their own with no treatment, is what I'm told.  Opposite of Hep C.

So your saying, if i have the hep B antibodies as i speak...i had  the virus at one time and i cleared it on my own?
No, not saying that at all.  There are different kinds of Hep B antibodies/antigens and there is a certain one that needs to be positive to indicate you cleared it on your own and I think it's the surface antigen that needs to be positive to indicate you cleared it on your own. I misunderstood by what you meant by UD.  I don't know enough about Hep B to speak knowledgeably to your question because, once I found out I was immune and non-contagious I never had to think about it anymore.  I'd have to refresh my memory. I'd post in the Hep B forum to get really good answers.
That Hep B stuff can be confusing.  My daughter's father made me get tested when I was thinking of getting pregnant and it came back negative. Wasn't ever clear what was "negative", until after I had gotten the positive for C diagnosis. I wondered if I was mis-diagnosed in 1985.  My primary said we were going to have that question answered once and for all with more tests. They came back positive for Hep B antibodies, negative for whatever anybody would worry about.  He said "you did have Hepatitis B in 1985, got sick, got over it, and you can't give it to anybody".  Probably a good idea to post in the Hep B forum if you want more informed info.  That doctor told me all I needed to hear.
I think my GP said the same about me...i had heb B and i killed it off years ago...i still have the papers....now im curious
That's how it usually goes with B. Most people clear it on their own.  I know exactly when I got that one, too, because a couple other people got it.  
"I was told back in 91 or 92 I carried the antibody for Hep C but it was dormant and could remain that way for years and for me not to worry. "
tippyclub and ladybug...that is also exactly what happened to me...mid 90's even at a tx facility...

i left there and continued using and years later ended up  in prison (texas) they couldn't get blood from me...and about a year or so later i was in prison in oregon ...they ran tests and dun dun duh...
i guess it is safe to say i have had it a long while...my levels are extremely low...and according to the doc they are not elevated at all...
but i am exhausted!
actually the doctor called it non A non B Hepatitis...and didn't bother to explain anything about it at all....
so i went for years not really thinking i had anything at all...
wow, interesting posts.  Like some of you I had elevated AST/ALT after routine annual labs at work.  I was told to take to my PCP and she also said ..."just a little bump, nothing to worry about"  This went on for 3 years changed doctors, he had me come back every few months before he decided to test me.

Thinking back, I've been complaining of fatigue for years, at one time low platelets and WBCs, they tested me for HIV but never HCV.
In 1992 I had a really good doctor, and he tested me for HepC.  I remember seeing an arsehole of a doctor and I was telling him about my really good doctor that I had in 1992 who tested me for HepC.  This arrogant doctor said.  Well if you were a patient of mine I would have tested you as well.  I felt like telling him off as he's the idiot who told me that I have cirrhosis, which I don't.  He was such an idiot, I said look if I have cirrhosis then I must be dying and if that's the case I want to be kept comfortable, so I need a prescription for the double strength vicodin.  He thought about it but, I felt like saying yeah
I got the news when doing tests for something else don´t even remember what is was.

That was 17 years ago it was called non A non B at the time, they also saw I had antibodys for Heb B which I  was sick in 1972.

The heb B healed by it self and I´m now immune to that my doc said that I most likely got the hepC at the same time!!

My alt has been about the same for them 17 years between 70and 80.

1986 drank alcohol and took speed  at 4  occasions hasn´t  taken any drugs at all since 1987 maybe thats why the alt has been so steady and low.

ca

Another funny thing,all tru my years ,even as a teenager ive heard of hepatitis mentioned..i always was under the assumption it turned you yellow for a few weeks ,that was it, and it went away on its own,i thought this right up until 2005...the day my GP told me different,,,and get this...he still didnt explain to me it was a deadly disease ...i only found that out when i went to the Hep Doc....pretty sad eh?
i even drank after march 2005,the day my GP told me,right up to sept 2005,the day i seen my Hep Doc....no one told me it was deadly
1992 family doc noted ALT/AST were always between 60-80 when I had my yearly physical. Also knew I'd not only had hep A and B but also later had a third bout of acute jaundice (1973). Sent me to a gastro who bxd and confirmed resolved A, resolved B, and active nonA/nonB. Told me "I think they're starting to call it "Hepatitis C". Don't drink, don't take Tylenol, and Good Luck."
I donated blood and got a letter in the mail stating I tested positive for antibodies to A, B and C ! Jackpot!!! I'm still not clear if I cleared HBV on my own or that they were antibodies from the vaccine we had to get as health care workers. Anyway, here I am....

I think you are referring to me...not all my posts are unrelated to the topic...ill admit alot are...but i guess im just speaking my mind...sorry to have upset you...no need to do name calling tho....all you had to do was inform me in a civil manner...i never posted anything bad or offence..if you want you can ask med help to remove them..i dont mind..

enjoy the day
i got sick by typhoid fever and some local doctor in Pakistan used a dirty needle on me to test for salmonella. 3 years later i started feeling tired, with diarrhea, nausea etc. it would come and go. i read symptoms of fatigue off the internet and got myself tested for HCV. had tx, led to SVR.
yes, 60 percent of Hep B cases are cured by the patient's own body. It also responds well to herbal treatment.
if i have hep B antibodies....does this mean i did have the hep B virus at one time?....what im asking is.....where the hell do the antibodies come from...are we born with them?
I'm pretty sure it means you had it. It would be pretty farfetched to be born with them. I believe the body produces them in response to the virus, so the virus would have to be in your body.  I'm not sure if Hep B can be asymptomatic, like C, but I sure knew I had it. I was really sick.
WOW...sorry for posting on the thread so much...but im learning  so this means ive had the hep B cleared it on my own...im lucky i dd as it tough to TX with both viruses...so i guess this means i dont need to vaccinated for hep B
This is from CDC site, at this address: http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/B/bFAQ.htm#prevention
What is the hepatitis B vaccine series?

The hepatitis B vaccine series is a sequence of shots that stimulate a person’s natural immune system to protect against HBV. After the vaccine is given, the body makes antibodies that protect a person against the virus. An antibody is a substance found in the blood that is produced in response to a virus invading the body. These antibodies are then stored in the body and will fight off the infection if a person is exposed to the hepatitis B virus in the future.

I think the vaccine is useless for those of us who had it.  The CDC site should be able to clarify any questions you have. I found it very helpful with my Hep C questions, too.
what is a person is co-ifected with both B na C.,is there a forum for that?...what do you di then?
A few people have heard my story - a bit different than most. After being held hostage in my house / involved in knife attack (random situation where police chased a guy who crashed outside my house), where I came into contact with my assailants blood, in the hospital, I asked about the possibility of Hep C or HIV. I was based line tested negative that very day.

One month later I started falling asleep at work. The doctor rang (I was on combivar in case of HIV, and my blood had just been tracked). My Alt was elevated. Within a week, my Alt was over 900, I was bedridden, and in a horrible condition. I tested positive on PCR for Hep C, and had got acute symptoms.

I know the exact date, and exactly who gave me, Hep C. Not many people like that I guess, just a few who got from needle stick injuries or similar. I am SVR - I'm a lucky one, I could be treated early thanks to early diagnosis, and all gone now.
What a story...sounds like a movie script...they say life is stranger than fiction...your ordeal confirms it....waht were the odds of this happening to anyone?
Guess I fell asleep at the wheel.lol  I have traced my HepC back to 1973, but I wasn't diagnosed until 1992, at that time my doctor said that it was inactive.  He did advise me to stop using, and in retrospect I wish I would have, but I didn't clean up until 2003.  Oh and I did have the prior tests done with the non-A non-B reading, but I was in a messed up head space and I don't have those dates.  latr
I went to my PCP for a simple sore throat and fever that wasn't going away. Upon examination he palpated my liver and told me it was enlarged so he ordered a hep panel and here I am. I also had elevated liver enzymes on a few previous blood tests but was always told it was nothing to worry about. That was in the late 60's early 70's.
I'm geno 3.  You had similar situation?
I known I had been exposed to "Non-A, Non-B" and B hepatitis since at 80s at least. I did understand what that meant. No doctor ever said anything about it. Just that I had been exposed to Hep B and "Non A Non B" hepatitis. Like it was something like small pox I had been exposed to when a child. Something in the past. All my blood tests including AST & ALT over the decades were always normal.

Then in May of 2007 I went to pre-op to talk to an anesthesiologist before having a procedure to remove a kidney stone. In less that 2 minutes...he says "What's wrong with you?" "What do you mean?" I said. He says "The only time I see someone with these blood levels is with someone who had cancer or HIV"...

Needless to say, I was in shock. It was a Friday and I was having the procedure early Tuesday morning. I didn't know what to do. This was the first time I ever had experienced a serious medical issue. After coming partially back to my senses, I decided to worry about the kidney procedure first, then follow up with my primary doc to find out what was going on with my health.

Found out later that the anesthesiologist was looking at my platelet count. Why he drew his "catastrophic" conclusions I don't know.

When I saw my primary doctor he looked at the same blood tests. This was the first time my blood level were out of range. AST and ALT as well as platelet count were out of range. As we all know, low platelet count can be an indication of cirrhosis for someone who has had HCV and HBV for 35 years plus like I had. A biopsy confirmed this unfortunately. Stage 4, cirrhosis.

And so my ongoing saga began...
Cheers.
Hectorsf
I found out by reading my medical file while waiting in the examination room.  My doctor of 15 years had run several tests earlier to try and determine the cause of chronic diarrhea.  At one point, he discussed my elevated liver enzymes and said they may just be normal for me.  He then did a sonogram and drew more blood.  I never heard anything for about 3 months on those tests and figured he had nothing to report.  

Then went to see his colleague for bad cold because he was out of town.  His colleague left me alone for a long time in the examination room with my file.  Finally, I picked it up and looked through it out of boredom.  Last blood test showed positive for HCV.  My doctor ordered the test but failed to tell me the results.  I called the next day and asked for results and nurse told me over the phone that I had it.  Promptly received an official letter informing me after that and suggesting I see a gastro.
Found out during my yearly physical exam in Oct '07. My ALT was 66. . . . 'normal' range was up to 65. The doc called me back and suggested antigen tests. Was positive for hep B antigen (had cleared) and hep C virus positive.

Only remarkable items: my GP was right on top of things. . . he followed through immediately.

I had hep B in 1967 and hep C probably at the same time although certainly no later than early 1971.

Preliminary results: geno 3a; vl 330k; bx grade 1 stage 2 (Metavir)
I found out in Dec 08 after a breakup my bf, I went to get checked for all STDs and hepc bc I found out after our relationship had started that he had the desease, he told me it was not a STD when we broke up I found out differently and went to the Dr for a full workup ...that is when I found out I had it.  I am new to this site as of today there is no support gruops in my community and I stumbled here on accident..I am geno 1 and I go for my biopsy this coming friday, ironically I did go with my ex to his so I do know what to expect and I am still scared beyond belief about the biopsy and the whole hep c thing.  It is hard when you are so alone in a situation as I am sure most of you can relate to, family tries but they never treat you the same after and they always just seem to look at you so different,and not to mention your worries are exagerated.
My office was having a blood drive in 1998.  They offered raffle-style prizes, including a day off with pay.  I didn't win a prize.
A few weeks after I donated my pint, I got a big thick letter from the Red Cross, saying I had tested + for Hep B and C, they were throwing my blood away, putting my name on a 'Do not donate' list and warned me not to try to donate again.  
I ran to my PCP, who did some more tests and determined that I had had Hep B at one point in my life - and I don't know when, as I never turned yellow, never got sick - but only had the antibody, not an active infection.
I did have Hep C, tho, and ended up taking more than 1 day off work for that when I was on treatment!
MYS
I was just dx this past summer FINALLY as when I first was dx was in 1963 with Hepatitis but C didn't exist then  In May of last year I was very ill and was in bed for days getting weaker and weaker I thought I had broncitis and finally was hositalized for a week I was told I needed me gallbladder removed and not by laproscopy new proceedure but the old way as I had blockage in my bilary ducts?  

I went for a second opinon with a GI  after an hour of consultation and examination telling him my complete history of relapses of the HEP in my 20's and 30's he ordered the tests and my results came back positive for HEP C with a viral load of 47,300,000  Never too late (didn't have my gall bladder out
Since then I have had many tests the latest being a CAT scan  first was a ultra sound twice  fibrotest, Fibroscan  and lab work which proved I am
IR  Living with HEP C with IR and doing all I can to learn so when it is time for me to treat to have the best success possible
baja
Then, literally 5 minutes after being told about the hep,  I was shown into a little room with some porno magazines to produce a sperm sample.

Actually, I am quite proud to say that I delivered the goods in normal time despite being in a state of shock.

I reckon I am probably the only person ever, who on being told he had hep c, was jerking himself off five minutes later.
=============================================

Well, I have had my good laugh for the day and my eyes are tearing up from laughing.  The way you worded it, is just too funny. I started to visualize it but then decided not to go there.
  Your my hero.
I bet it went something like this as you went into the room.
Oh man, Hepatitis C, what am I going to do, HEY PORN!!!!!!!!!!
In  the early 80's I had VERY HIGH liver enzymes. I had a biopsy then at it showed inflammation. I was diagnosed as chronic hepatitis. I remember the doc saying he hoped it wasnt Non A-Non B hepatitis? I had not a clue neither did they as to what was going on.

In 1992 I was told I had Hep C.
I did you drugs at the age of 16 and 17 after that point I didnt do any drugs except for marijuana occasionally.

Thats was it. Thats my story unforrtunately.

This thread has been the greatest!
Dawn,  the biopsy is not that big of a deal...really.  I've had 2 and was freaked out both times but it was just my imagination terriblizing about the procedure.  In reality, it really wasn't that big of a deal, not bad at all.  About the Hep-C, damnit! The good news is that Hep-C can be cured.  Think those positive thought no matter how sick the treatment may cause you to feel.
I am so glad that the Hep-B issue came up here.  I am amazed that so many of us Hep-C'rs have/had Hep-B.  B was a nasty little thing that a lot of needle junkies got from drawing their water out of the toilet for a fix because we sat there waiting to puke and empty out our bowels directly after our fix.  This is repulsive to read and think of but so true.  I had Hep-B in 1977/78.
Love to all
Joey
I posted way early in this thread that I was aware of one contact with the infection through tatooing.  Since then I've remembered going to the plasma lab in the late 70's and being rejected because of something with my blood that they didn't know enough about (according to them) to explain.  I just forgot about it until now.
Joey
For the record, I never drew any water out of any toilet and didn't know anyone who did.  
I was on chemotherapy for treatment of Leukemia when I was 25 years old (1985).  At that time I was receiving 2 units of whole blood and a unit of platelets every day.  I'm one of the few that went into a seriously acute phase and was in a coma for 11 days.  So I pretty much knew right away.

Mouse
My story is very confusing. On 21.01.03 i drank and smoke Hashish. After 10 minutes i got very confused and my heart rate went to 120. BP was also high and i was feeling my self powerfull. i went to emergency and they give some sleeping pills. Next morning when i woke up, i felt tiredness in both legs. Day by day,  i started getting much tired and only after one week i was in the bed completely. The most affected part of my body by this infection was my legs. I lost appetite gradully. i was too weak to walk. After examination the HCV was detected. SGPT was at 142. But i could not get PCR. After 6 years of every time tiredness in legs, i got pcr in aug 2008 and started tx. Now im post 3 week. Feeling better gradualy.

Im confused whether i was infected priorly and drink+smoking boasted it up. Or i got infections through drink or smoke (which is not possible).

"For the record, I never drew any water out of any toilet and didn't know anyone who did."

Same here  
Many thanks to all for your responses.  I note that many of us just stumbled upon the diagnosis by accident.  The random nature of Hep C detection underscores the need for some type of standard screening.

jd
Supposed to have regular liver panels done because I have polycystic ovarian syndrome - hadn't had one done fro over a year - went to Dr about migraines - he did a liver panel and found out my enzymes were elevated - tested me for hep a, b, and c and hiv - positive for hep c.  At least I know I didn't have it very long before they detected it.

I always tell family and friends that if you are not going to get yourself tested for STD's, the Heps, or HIV then at least get a liver panel done with your yearly examination -cuz you just never know.
Had an acute case in 1971 as a teenager.  Looked like a jackolantern, itched and sat on the couch for a month.  They did not differentiate the types way back then.
Fast forward to last summer....Had a racing heart rate, went to Doc and he was looking for heart attack evidence and turned up high AST/ALT. More bloodwork for liver diseases and turned up HCV.   Shocked to know I'd had it 38 years!

Lots more tests, scans, MRI's etc. and found cirrhosis.  I realize now that I was close to decompensating: itchy, bruising, slow clotting.  What was so terrifying was how close I came but it seems so mild now that I am reading about folks who did not find it until bleeding varices occurred

20 weeks in with SOC & boceprevir, miserable, crashing HGB, platelets & WBC but still incredibly grateful and happy to have started tx before I decompensated.
Did you have the itching clotting brusing before you found out about the cirrhosis? My husband just found out he has it from a routine physical.But no symtoms. Although his liver enzymes ave been high off an on and they never did the hep c test. Unbelievable.he has had ultra sound and a specalist ordered full liver panel. So worried. He drinks beer not since he found out but all these years.
Welcome to the forum.

This is a very old thread. You will get more responses if you go to the top of the page and click on the orange rectangle "Post a Question" and then post your question. Be clear about what you are asking. The more information you give us, the better we can respond to you.

Did your husband have a Hepatitis C antibody test or did he have the Hepatitis C RNA test. Does he have a viral load. The antibody test tells you only if he has been exposed to Hepatitis C. The Hep C RNA test will tell you if he has chronic Hepatitis C. However, if his liver enzymes have been elevated for a while, then it sounds like he may have chronic Hep C.

If he has chronic Hepatitis C, his doctor will probably order a liver biopsy and the biopsy will tell you what stage of liver fibrosis he has. There are 5 stages of fibrosis. 0 means no damage, 1 is mild damage, 2 is moderate damage, 3  is more advanced than 2 but not as advanced as 4, and 4 means advanced liver fibrosis (Cirrhosis). Many people have no symptoms that they are aware of. However, Hepatitis C has many extrahepatic manifestations and it is only later that people realize that they do, in fact have some symptoms of Hep C. Fatigue is one of the most common symptoms of Hep C.

This is a good forum. There are many knowledgeable people on it and people will respond to your questions.

Again, it is best to start a new thread if you wish to get the most responses.