Hepatitis C Community
How did you find out you had Hep C?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

How did you find out you had Hep C?

Rocker's thread about annual LFT testing got me wondering.  How did you learn that you had Hep C?

I was tested after my cancer surgeon noticed scarring on my liver when he reviewed my annual follow-up CT scans.  Later I learned that my PCP (former) had ignored elevated ALT and AST for more than 25 years.  By the time I was tested the liver damage was stage 2/3.  Good thing the surgeon ordered that test and asked questions or I would not have gotten tx!

jd

ugly liquid filled blisters on my hands which my PCP said was an allergy to dryer sheets.  Went to my derma and the rest is shall we say history............

Denise
I gave blood and received letter from Blood bank.  Stating i was positive for hep C. I had several physicals over the years and was never tested for hep C.  
PCT diagnosed by my Dermatologist.  Same symptoms as Denise and he told me one of the primary causes of PCT is HCV.  Bingo.  

I hadn’t participated in the medical system for many years, with the exception of trauma, etc. I began feeling extremely tired, and this exhaustion led to an appointment with my PCP. He diagnosed type 2 diabetes, which I managed to gain control of. A year later, the fatigue continued. He eventually found the HCV after I continued to complain about being tired.  
jdwithhcv:  

My story is a lot like yours in that my PCPs ignored my elevated LFTs since as far back as 1970 or earlier!  

I didn't find out about having Hep C until last year.  At my annual physical in April last year, my doc happened to finally mention to me that my LFTs were slightly elevated.  I never really thought I had Hep C but I had it lingering in the back of my mind since I had had a transfusion as an infant.  I reminded the doc about that but he scoffed at it and said, that if I never did drugs, I didn't have Hep C.  I had to argue with him to get him to test me for it. (And, no, he is no longer my doc).  After receiving my diagnosis, I traced my medical records back as far as I could find them and it turned out that my LFTs had been elevated beginning 40 years ago but none of my docs ever told me. And, to top it all off, I had had a yearly physical every single year of my life so there were a LOT of elevated lab reports.

The year prior to finding out about my Hep C, I had complained of right side pain to my doc, as well as unable to eat, etc.  He sent me to a surgeon to have my gallbladder removed.  The surgeon said he didn't think it was my gallbladder "but I'll take it out if you want me to."  I went back to my PCP (crying this time) asking him what I was supposed to do since the surgeon didn't think it needed to be removed.  My PCP said...it will make you feel better so just get it taken out.  So, I did.  Symptoms never went away.  Fast forward to finding out about Hep C and DUH! that was the cause of my symptoms...not the gallbladder.
Tired, right.  Fatigue was my only symptom also.  I thought it was cancer related.  It probably was to some degree.  I often wonder if the chemo and radiation are related to the accelerated liver damage I sustained between surgery and the third-year follow-up.  Not that it matters, really.
Body and eyes turned yellow. Urine dark brown. Stools White. Fever. Could not get out of bed. Even though I was only 20 I figured something was up :) Of course  in those days they didn't call it Hep C, since it hadn't yet been discovered thereforethe dx ended up being "chronic persistent hepatitis". Obviously, I was one of those in the minority who had a symptomatic acute stage.

-- Jim
I cant find that latest post i made...anyway,,i got ripped Off i think...i went for the aids testing back in 1995 and came back UN...i tested again in 2005 and found out by high LFT...this is when i found out i had C...what pisses me off is they didnt test for the C at the HIV test in 1995....looks like grounds for a law suit....this to me is an out right crime against humanity
i see my lost post....im blind in one eye and crossed eyed in the other
After years of elevated enzymes, one day they decided to find out why.
I ruptured an esophageal varicy.  I woke up in the middle of the night nausious and soon passing black tarry stools.  I was in the hospital a week and recieved 3 units of blood.
I always knew my x had it and I insisted that they test me - which they would not. Although it wasn't communicable that way I really didn't want to tell her I had had other ways I could have gotten it in the past so I just waited when they did my blood test and she said she'd do a liver panel but not the hep test....Then my enzymes came up in the 200s on my physical and then she ok'd it and there it was.

At a regular STD test, I tested positive on chlamydia. It later turned out to be a LGV type chlamydia. Here, the protocal is to test also on Hep C when people have LGV. It then turned out I had Hep C...
One night in January  I awakened and vomited 4 units of blood. The next day I went to the hospital. A gastro treated my varices and they stopped bleeding. When I responded to my PCP's question about alcohol use and said that I drank beer most days he diagnosed my disease as alcoholism. In 3 days I was released.
3 months later I bled out and again I lost 4 units of blood. My varices were treated again but by a different gastroenterologist. I asked him what was wrong with me. He told me that I had HCV. I asked him when I got it. He said the he didn't know. I asked him how he knew I had HCV. He said from your blood. I said I must have just gotten it and he said "I looked at your lab results from January". That was my diagnosis. I was much more careful about doctors after that - much much more careful.
True story.
Mike
I went to the doctor not long after my mother passed away in 2007. I had really bad fatigue, rash and joint pain. He sent me to a rheumatologist and she did a full workup. Ta-da!

I spent a week in Methodist Hospital in Houston in 2001 because it felt like someone stuck an ice-pick below my ribcage on the right side. I had every test in the book except an HCV screen apparently because on the sixth day they took out my gall bladder for schitznandgiggles.
Isnt somebody going to stop the carnage of death...and suffering...looks like something right out of a Slayer song..its time for the health system to tell the truth
they took out my gall bladder for schitznandgiggles.

Sorry I'm laughin' but when I went to the hospital in pain and about passed out from infection they showed my mom & hubby a pic of my VERY infected only tube & ovary but took my appendix out.  I was back 2 months later for the hysterectomy.  When they took the appendix they left me in bed (didn't MAKE me get up) and I ended up with double pneumonia...........................
I posted about an hr. ago,   said it went.  don't know where but it went... I'll try again
Gert2
Went to pcp for an anuual check.  During review he asked how I was doing with the HCV.  I said, "I don't have HCV."  He said, "Yes, you do."  "No I don't!  I had Hep-B years ago but got over that."  He said, "well, let me look again."  He looked and said, "yes you tested positive for HCV."  I was pissed and asked how long they'd known.  Well long story short, that is how I found out.
Although I could have gotten it from "sharing" in many years past, I was tatooing with a friend who had something they were referring to as non-a, non b and wasn't a big deal.  We used a homemade rig and he ran it across his leg to get the ink flowing smoothly before he went to my arm.  That is the only instance where I know I got infected.  It was 1984 or 1985.
Joey

ok it worked.
went with my hubby to the oncologist (check up)  the dr. said his liver was high and was going to test him for hep c   so I thought I might as well get tested.  As it goes  my hubby has geno 2    I have geno 1     he is treating for 24 wks   I have 48wks.  It can be like a circus at my house,  we do support each other during treatment (once we remove our hands from around each other's neck :)
Gert2
Like many of us I developed high ALT.  My PCP said to retest in three months, which I did.  The ALT was still high so he ordered tests for HCV and voila! it was positive.

The freaky thing is that over the years I've had several exams for less expensive life insurance than I presently had and was always turned down.  I just assumed it was for my diabetes.  I later learned that insurance exams nearly always include testing for hcv, but they never told me anything.

BTW, I had none of the usual risk factors other than doing non-needle type drugs in the sixties and seventies, including snorting a few powders two or three times.  My hunch is it came from either the dentist, surgery (I've had quite a lot) or sharing sharp tools at work.
During physical exam for  my 1st job as a chemist.
wow, sounds almost exactly like my story!!!!!!!!!! what geno are u?
Pantera-"Walk"
I found out at the dermatologist! I kept getting these bumps, everything came back negative,  it was most likely tylenol bumps, BUT I test positive  for HCV,  I never injected or even did a lot of drugs, except smoke pot, and a couple of  hallucinagetics. I always had kids lol!  We were in the UK I had a surgery and a blood transfusion.  My best guess is that.
Gave blood in 1989. Got a letter stating my blood was rejected due to high ALT it was 42 with a cut off of 40. Letter stated that the elavation could be due to NON-A NON-B hep
and had HCV in parenthasis ( I think it had just been named that year). Went to PCP who ran a hep panel. Came back negative (I don't think the test was widely available at that point in time).

Fast forward to 2004. Got a routine annual physical. ALT was 56 cutoff was 55. Doctor shrugged it off and said he was not worried about it.

2005 found out several folks in the crowd I used to run with were infected. So I bought a home HCV test and surprise surprise I came up positive.

Went into denial about it until I found out a long time friend had cirrhosis from it. Decided to get evaluated and found out I'm lucky and don't have much damage

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
Found out thanks to my younger son's phobia about needles (caused by a ruthless nurse in his infancy).

He wouldn't go for his HCB or HCA vaccination (I forget which), which the school was encouraging at the time. So I suggested we go as a family and get tested and vaccinated together. He agreed and his phobia led to my diagnosis.

I doubt I would have found out for years, since my LFT's were normal.
HBV, HAV?
I should have found out back in the late 80's when my obgyn nurse prac. noticed on blood test low plat.but all else was fine...she sent me to another pcp and he sent me for blood work must have taken 12 viles of blood( I was sure i had cancer) it was thanksgiving weekend and of course the test that had to be timed did not make it to the lab so that test never got run all other blood work came back fine so pcp said not to worry. over the year obgyn ran blood work ever year sometime plat. were ok sometimes not. Liver enzymes always ok. So over the next 20 years continued to drink.
Then in 2005 I got the flu pcp put me on antibotics my enzymes went nuts... tested positve.
I know back in the 80's it would have been non a or non b. and that treatment was not what it is today and probley would not have quit drinking not knowing just what all that ment( drugs are something I quit back in the 60's always liked bourbon more I am my fathers daughter)
So there ya go life's a **** shoot
Thinkin' bout ya all
Hopeful51
I was told back in 91 or 92 I carried the antibody for Hep C but it was dormant and could remain that way for years and for me not to worry.  I didn't, never thought about it again, until a few years ago I mentioned it to another doctor and he did the Hep C test and vl.  
Wow.  It's disturbing how many people went through the past decade or more without being tested.  Kudos to the medical staff who were proactive!

Doc #1 tested me for Hep A&B before the C test was out in the 80's.  I had elevated liver enzymes back then.  

Insurance changes & conflicts w/Doc #1's misguided attempts to act as a psychoanalyst led to Doc #2 about 5 years ago.  His nurse actually asked about my past high-risk behaviors (IV-drug use in the 80's) and apparently he did not connect the dots.  (I wonder why they bother to ask?)  He did order a liver ultrasound several years ago, but never tested me for Hep C.  He started me on a beta blocker for high blood pressure, but ignored my complaints of fatigue.  He wanted to insist that I had anxiety disorder, (per doc #1's notes) despite my insistence that I had no symptoms of anxiety.  (Turns out Doc #1 & Doc #2 were friends who lived on the same block.)  I ran with those red flags and found doctor #3 when I moved from Wisconsin to Illinois.

Doc #3 decided to serve as my doctor and not a pseudo-Freudian analyst.  (I have nothing against psychiatry and psychology - In fact, I'm in the final year of training for my doctorate in clinical psychology.  I do, however, have a huge beef with doctors who act like psychologists when they lack the appropriate training.)  Anyhow, Doc #3 actually listens to his patients.s  (Is it a wonder why I like Doc #3?)  I went to see him for a second opinion for a lap-band procedure.  He noted my fatigue, muscle/joint pains, and history of elevated enzymes and told me he wanted to run a hep panel.  He did not know anything about my past drug history.  I thank God that he took his job seriously and knew enough to test.  I never had a chance to ask about what spurred him to test (and why other doctors may miss this).  I will when I see him next.    

Great thread topic!
kept going to the doc.. here is my actual quote:

"It feels like I have the flu".... muscle aches, joint pain, you get the picture
Must have said this 10 times in 2 years.

then I noticed that my liver enzymes were high and pointed this out.
Doc ran another blood test but this time included hcv test.  bummer.

Try this...
go to webmd and type in all of the symtoms (symptoms) you can think of that hcv produces...
guess what ... hcv never comes up as a possiblity.  sad.

j
We received a registered letter in 1992 from a well known clinic/hospital that one of their (our) blood donors tested positive for hep c.  Unfortunately our infant son received this donors blood in 1987.  We were told they had "the safest blood in the world" when we wanted family to donate blood for him before surgery.  We worried about HIV and didn't know much about Hep.

After he tested positive, our family Dr. at the time made it sound like it was nothing to worry about.  As a mother I did worry, and here we are today, 23 weeks into this horrible treatment.  It is such a long year...
Looks like the best way to find out you have a sickness is to just give blood....forget the GP
I had routine blood tests prior to a surgical procedure and it showed raised white cells in my blood and the doctor involved said he wouldn't operate until we had found out what was causing this.  He said my body appeared to be fighting off an infection.  This was around 1987.

A battery of tests followed that showed raised LFTs as well and I was finally diagnosed with alcoholic hepatitis.  The doctor who was treating me became very angry with me when I told her that I did not drink!  She then accused me of being an IVD addict and searched my body for track marks, which did not exist.  I got so sick of being called a liar and an addict that I stopped seeing that Doctor and any others.

Then in 1991 I once again was having preliminary tests for another surgery and had all my files sent over to a new doctor who was much more savvy and humanitarian.  She took one look at my files and immediately had me tested for HCV.

After that I was told that I had a very 'mild' case of Hep C, there was no treatment for me as I was Geno 3 which was 'harmless' and it was projected I would die with it rather than from it.  

I then got 'lost' in the medical system and no one really payed any further attention until I started causing waves and demanding that I be re-evaluated and treated.  I had to really push heaven and earth to get any one to pay attention to me and finally had to pay for all my first treatment which was unsuccessful  Once again I was told I would never be cured of this disease as I was now in the 'hard to treat' category.  I put pressure on the medical system for 5 years until such time as the R7128 trial came up and I got a place on it.  

Needless to say I carried a large resentment toward the medical profession for several years!!
You were told it was "harmless"?  Unbelievable.  As was the tx you received from the other doc.  It goes to show that there are ignorant idiots in every field.  
Another case of "sweep under the rug".....waht a bunch of liars they are...makes me mad...we wrere born into this world with drugs all around us ...like in the sixties for example when it was "normal" to do them...scoiety and govts are to blame i say
Your doc insisting that you were an alcoholic or a drug addict brings out all sorts of emotions in me.  This is one of those things that makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck about Hep C -- that a great number of medical professionals still think that everyone with Hep C must have a drug life that they aren't admitting to.  No, it really doesn't matter how we got it so then why is that one of the first questions that comes with the diagnosis?

When I found out I last year that have Hep C, I got a call from the County Health Department (the doc evidently had to report me to the health dept) and the county nurse quizzed me about very personal stuff.  She asked if I ever used drugs and I told her NO. She paused for a long time as if waiting for me to fess up and then she finally said: Are you sure you didn't use drugs even ONE time? And I said "NO NOT EVER", and this was even after I had already told her that I had had a transfusion prior to 1992 - which seemed to go in one ear and out the other. I felt violated by the entire conversation.

I protest about not having using drugs because I didn't use drugs (not because I think I'm more innocent in my Hep C or something) and I don't like the fact that some medical people seem to want to believe that all Hep C positive people did drugs - as if it's easier for them to accept that it's "just a disease amongst drug users" - like it makes it easier for them to accept. It's like being accused of stealing when you didn't steal or being accused of lying when you didn't lie...it's the principle of the matter.  And, it's about getting our medical people to realize that Hep C is much bigger than drug use so that more people can be tested before it's too late.

There's a young woman on another Hep C site that is 17 years old and both she and her Mom just found out that they both have Hep C.  Unfortunately, the 17 yo has a stage 3 (yes 3) liver.  Another case that, if they had caught Mom's Hep C many, many, many years ago (this Mom has a story like many of ours), the daughter might have been saved from getting to stage 3 at such a young age.  Sad.
I am now realizing how lucky i really am to be in this boceprevir trial...i have to beat it this time...now im without insurance but i do believe here in Canada if your on welfare they will pay for TX...if i fail this trial i may as well hang up my hat...either that of do 72 weeks of SOC...fighting  to stay alive....its almost an oxymoron statement...im suppose to enjoy life and live...not fight and live...all i know is....if i beat this thing...i dont care about my s.hit job...ill be happy just to have this beast off my back
and that doc is proberly a pill popper...i would have fixed his wagon
Tippyclubb wrote:
"I was told back in 91 or 92 I carried the antibody for Hep C but it was dormant and could remain that way for years and for me not to worry. "

That's exactly what happened to me! I talked to my ob, my pcp and even went to a gastro and everyone told me not to worry, I had no active infection.

Fast forward to 2005. I wanted to know if I could donate a kidney to my father who was on dialysis. My pcp ran a lot of blood test including hepc and I found out that the virus was alive and well......

before it's too late????????????

the clock is long past struck the hour....this why is all hush and stigma.....the cost to fix would break the worlds health system,...i do think if the HEPC was let outa the bag.....this econonomic  crash would look like childs play...do the math...200 million hep c patients times ,on average,$50,000
i had blood transfusion when i was a baby, parents were always suspicious i had it, so when i was about 15yo, finally got a pcr from family doc.
Trinity once posted a great history of the identification of and evolving treatment approach to HCV. Wish I could find it.

Things have changed so face, considering HCV may have been around for thousands of years but medicine has only come to grips with it very recently.
I think Granitekonig posted a letter quite some time ago from a liver specialist that gave some history on Hep C and how it spread from ancient wars (blood to blood contact from fighting) that I found interesting too.

Lalapple:  I knew there was another reason we clicked -- we're both survivors of infant transfusions.  :)
If those numbers are correct...making no wonder the hep c problem is swept under the rug....there is no way on earth to pay for it all
If that rent thing works out be sure and let me know!
The circumstances whereby I found out I had hep c must rank amongst the strangest.

My wife and I were embarking on a programme of IVF treatment here in the UK.  It was a requirement that prior to commencing treatment that both parties had blood tests - which we duly did.  The day before the first IVF consultation my wife received a letter saying all was well.  My letter did not arrive, which we assumed was due to postal delay.  
I met my wife at the IVF clinic and she had a letter for me which simply said I had to contact the hospital doctor.  I phoned him and he told me I had hep c.  I then had to tell my wife.

Obviously I was shocked.  I had a rough idea what hep c was and knew it could potentially have serious consequences such as cirrhosis and cancer.

Then, literally 5 minutes after being told about the hep,  I was shown into a little room with some porno magazines to produce a sperm sample.

Actually, I am quite proud to say that I delivered the goods in normal time despite being in a state of shock.

I reckon I am probably the only person ever, who on being told he had hep c, was jerking himself off five minutes later.

A very bizarre experience I can assure you.  File under strange but true.
"Actually, I am quite proud to say that I delivered the goods in normal time despite being in a state of shock.'

OMGosh...that just cracked me up!

LOL...im lucky to find a park bench or a bridge to crawl under
I quit drinking in 1994, went to tx where I was tested due to it being residential they made a point of checking us for anything that was cosidered "contagious" All negative. I am at present a drug/alcohol casemgr. During one of my internships in 2003 I was bit by a teenage boy who was a cutter who did have HCV. He was on a mission to make others suffer. I knew. and sure enough.
I got Hep B when I was in my late teens.  Spent many years of not really understanding much about it and thinking it was active and only in my blood.  Was never treated for it, docs never did anything about it, was simply diagnosed and sent on my way.  Found out years later that it was NOT active and if it WAS active, it would have been more contagious than my blood only, so was grateful to find out I was immune and non-contagious.  

I was involved with someone and explained this to him and he asked if I was SURE I was non-contagious because he was really sick after having had "relations" with me that his symptoms lined up with Hep B.  I got scared sh!tless that perhaps I was wrong about it all and went to see my GP about it.  He checked my test results but the information wasn't 100% clearly definitive and he agreed to send me for testing to make absolutely sure.  He threw in a Hep C test for good measure, he's a thorough kind of guy and he just didn't say anything about it, just doing his job.

Test results for the Hep B came back, confirmed I was immune non-contagious 100%.  Then my doc added "..and you're positive for Hep C".  I did a double-take because he said that so calmly and I looked at the paperwork in front of him that he was referencing and there it was "Hep C - positive" with the added comment "Reported to Health Unit".  I told him that I'd never had Hep C and what did reported to Health Unit mean?  and he was a little taken aback because he thought I knew I had Hep C for some unfathomable reason.  After he and I both got over the shock, he said I had nothing to worry about because my liver enzymes were normal but since Hep C wasn't his area of expertise, he would send me off to a specialist.  He didn't know enough to tell me that an antibody test doesn't mean I have active Hep C and I spent the next 10 months waiting to get into the gastro thinking I was Hep C active and I might not have been that whole time.  I was .. but just think if I wasn't and was living for 10 months as if I was.  Not THAT big of a deal .. but still, I'd prefer that people get accurate info from their GP's especially when it takes so frigging long to see the gastro here in Canada after a diagnosis!

Don't know how long it would have taken for me to get diagnosed with Hep C otherwise.  I have been incredibly healthy my whole life.  Nothing much to complain about ever.  I may have caught Hep B and Hep C at the same time in my late teens or maybe I got Hep C from a blood transfusion in 1984 when my daughter was born or perhaps some other time I would be clueless about.  
Meant to note...I was diagnosed for Hep B in late 70's but not for Hep C until 2006.  That's a long time of ignorance about both my Hep B and Hep C.
If a person tests for hep B antibodies and gets checked for the hep B virus and is UD...does this mean he had the virus and it was killed off by his own body?
aren't you in canada??

to all - why are they always so interested in if you did iv drugs??
it makes no diffence in the tx.

and even if you did iv drugs, you still can't be sure how you got the virus...

what are they so interested.

I advise anyone reading this just to say, "I don't know"  or, if you r feeling really angry 'its none of your fcuking business!"

bandman
I was in the middle of a relapse after 13 yrs. sober, and after about a year I started feeling like I had hepatitis. (I had B in 1985, didn't get that one diagnosed until my pee turned brown, so I had first hand experience what active acute hepatitis feels like). Anyway, to make a long story short, I asked to be tested, and the rest is history. It's sad, but you do have to ask. My step daughter is going to a neurologist to try to find out why she gets headaches and numbness.  They said they were going to test her for Hiv, just to rule it out.  I told her to ask them to check for Hcv because my ex, her father has it, and I've had it since before she was born. I told her just have it ruled out, it's not very likely that she could have got it from us, but it's a simple test. They won't run it on their own, she needs to be proactive and ask. I think they should include it anytime they want to run the Hiv test.
I had gotten really sick after a trip to Arizona.  I thought I had Valley Fever.  After about a year....with lingering joint stiffness and a slightly elevated Rh factor, I was sent to a rheumatologist.  She ran the tests and bingo......announced to me-and the entire waiting room-that I had Hep C and my husband needed to be tested immediately.

Um....thanks.  So much for being subtle.

I had been told once 10 years ago that my ALT was elevated..."just a little bump, nothing to worry about"

How did I get it.....I believe I got it when I was a kid.  My friend and I ran into each other and she bit me in the forehead.  I had to get stitches and she lost her tooth.  It would be ironic, because of the scar, my eyebrow doesn't grow properly on the right side....and being on tx....my eyebrows are CRAZY!!!

And then of course, there's my daughter.  She was born with it.  (da*n unlucky 6%ers)

and still today it goes on...doctors saying....oh...its ok...you just yellow because eat too much curry...just go home and get sick as we can make money off treating you later
Why is there no standard hep test done at the yearly checkup?...can you lift up the rug?..i got the broom
"If a person tests for hep B antibodies and gets checked for the hep B virus and is UD...does this mean he had the virus and it was killed off by his own body?"

No..it means you never had Hep B.  Same as with Hep C, the antibodies remain.  The reason I thought it was only blood that was a problem is because I went to donate blood at 18 and was told I couldn't and my doctors had never told me that my Hep B was an issue for anyone including me.  I still have antibodies but I'm immune and non-contagious.  The majority of people with Hep B manage to clear it on their own with no treatment, is what I'm told.  Opposite of Hep C.

So your saying, if i have the hep B antibodies as i speak...i had  the virus at one time and i cleared it on my own?
No, not saying that at all.  There are different kinds of Hep B antibodies/antigens and there is a certain one that needs to be positive to indicate you cleared it on your own and I think it's the surface antigen that needs to be positive to indicate you cleared it on your own. I misunderstood by what you meant by UD.  I don't know enough about Hep B to speak knowledgeably to your question because, once I found out I was immune and non-contagious I never had to think about it anymore.  I'd have to refresh my memory. I'd post in the Hep B forum to get really good answers.
That Hep B stuff can be confusing.  My daughter's father made me get tested when I was thinking of getting pregnant and it came back negative. Wasn't ever clear what was "negative", until after I had gotten the positive for C diagnosis. I wondered if I was mis-diagnosed in 1985.  My primary said we were going to have that question answered once and for all with more tests. They came back positive for Hep B antibodies, negative for whatever anybody would worry about.  He said "you did have Hepatitis B in 1985, got sick, got over it, and you can't give it to anybody".  Probably a good idea to post in the Hep B forum if you want more informed info.  That doctor told me all I needed to hear.
I think my GP said the same about me...i had heb B and i killed it off years ago...i still have the papers....now im curious
That's how it usually goes with B. Most people clear it on their own.  I know exactly when I got that one, too, because a couple other people got it.  
tippyclub and ladybug...that is also exactly what happened to me...mid 90's even at a tx facility...

i left there and continued using and years later ended up  in prison (texas) they couldn't get blood from me...and about a year or so later i was in prison in oregon ...they ran tests and dun dun duh...
i guess it is safe to say i have had it a long while...my levels are extremely low...and according to the doc they are not elevated at all...
but i am exhausted!
actually the doctor called it non A non B Hepatitis...and didn't bother to explain anything about it at all....
so i went for years not really thinking i had anything at all...
wow, interesting posts.  Like some of you I had elevated AST/ALT after routine annual labs at work.  I was told to take to my PCP and she also said ..."just a little bump, nothing to worry about"  This went on for 3 years changed doctors, he had me come back every few months before he decided to test me.

Thinking back, I've been complaining of fatigue for years, at one time low platelets and WBCs, they tested me for HIV but never HCV.
In 1992 I had a really good doctor, and he tested me for HepC.  I remember seeing an arsehole of a doctor and I was telling him about my really good doctor that I had in 1992 who tested me for HepC.  This arrogant doctor said.  Well if you were a patient of mine I would have tested you as well.  I felt like telling him off as he's the idiot who told me that I have cirrhosis, which I don't.  He was such an idiot, I said look if I have cirrhosis then I must be dying and if that's the case I want to be kept comfortable, so I need a prescription for the double strength vicodin.  He thought about it but, I felt like saying yeah
I got the news when doing tests for something else don´t even remember what is was.

That was 17 years ago it was called non A non B at the time, they also saw I had antibodys for Heb B which I  was sick in 1972.

The heb B healed by it self and I´m now immune to that my doc said that I most likely got the hepC at the same time!!

My alt has been about the same for them 17 years between 70and 80.

1986 drank alcohol and took speed  at 4  occasions hasn´t  taken any drugs at all since 1987 maybe thats why the alt has been so steady and low.

ca

Another funny thing,all tru my years ,even as a teenager ive heard of hepatitis mentioned..i always was under the assumption it turned you yellow for a few weeks ,that was it, and it went away on its own,i thought this right up until 2005...the day my GP told me different,,,and get this...he still didnt explain to me it was a deadly disease ...i only found that out when i went to the Hep Doc....pretty sad eh?
i even drank after march 2005,the day my GP told me,right up to sept 2005,the day i seen my Hep Doc....no one told me it was deadly
1992 family doc noted ALT/AST were always between 60-80 when I had my yearly physical. Also knew I'd not only had hep A and B but also later had a third bout of acute jaundice (1973). Sent me to a gastro who bxd and confirmed resolved A, resolved B, and active nonA/nonB. Told me "I think they're starting to call it "Hepatitis C". Don't drink, don't take Tylenol, and Good Luck."
I donated blood and got a letter in the mail stating I tested positive for antibodies to A, B and C ! Jackpot!!! I'm still not clear if I cleared HBV on my own or that they were antibodies from the vaccine we had to get as health care workers. Anyway, here I am....

I think you are referring to me...not all my posts are unrelated to the topic...ill admit alot are...but i guess im just speaking my mind...sorry to have upset you...no need to do name calling tho....all you had to do was inform me in a civil manner...i never posted anything bad or offence..if you want you can ask med help to remove them..i dont mind..

enjoy the day
i got sick by typhoid fever and some local doctor in Pakistan used a dirty needle on me to test for salmonella. 3 years later i started feeling tired, with diarrhea, nausea etc. it would come and go. i read symptoms of fatigue off the internet and got myself tested for HCV. had tx, led to SVR.
yes, 60 percent of Hep B cases are cured by the patient's own body. It also responds well to herbal treatment.
if i have hep B antibodies....does this mean i did have the hep B virus at one time?....what im asking is.....where the hell do the antibodies come from...are we born with them?
I'm pretty sure it means you had it. It would be pretty farfetched to be born with them. I believe the body produces them in response to the virus, so the virus would have to be in your body.  I'm not sure if Hep B can be asymptomatic, like C, but I sure knew I had it. I was really sick.
WOW...sorry for posting on the thread so much...but im learning  so this means ive had the hep B cleared it on my own...im lucky i dd as it tough to TX with both viruses...so i guess this means i dont need to vaccinated for hep B
This is from CDC site, at this address: http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/B/bFAQ.htm#prevention
What is the hepatitis B vaccine series?

The hepatitis B vaccine series is a sequence of shots that stimulate a person’s natural immune system to protect against HBV. After the vaccine is given, the body makes antibodies that protect a person against the virus. An antibody is a substance found in the blood that is produced in response to a virus invading the body. These antibodies are then stored in the body and will fight off the infection if a person is exposed to the hepatitis B virus in the future.

I think the vaccine is useless for those of us who had it.  The CDC site should be able to clarify any questions you have. I found it very helpful with my Hep C questions, too.
what is a person is co-ifected with both B na C.,is there a forum for that?...what do you di then?
A few people have heard my story - a bit different than most. After being held hostage in my house / involved in knife attack (random situation where police chased a guy who crashed outside my house), where I came into contact with my assailants blood, in the hospital, I asked about the possibility of Hep C or HIV. I was based line tested negative that very day.

One month later I started falling asleep at work. The doctor rang (I was on combivar in case of HIV, and my blood had just been tracked). My Alt was elevated. Within a week, my Alt was over 900, I was bedridden, and in a horrible condition. I tested positive on PCR for Hep C, and had got acute symptoms.

I know the exact date, and exactly who gave me, Hep C. Not many people like that I guess, just a few who got from needle stick injuries or similar. I am SVR - I'm a lucky one, I could be treated early thanks to early diagnosis, and all gone now.
What a story...sounds like a movie script...they say life is stranger than fiction...your ordeal confirms it....waht were the odds of this happening to anyone?
Guess I fell asleep at the wheel.lol  I have traced my HepC back to 1973, but I wasn't diagnosed until 1992, at that time my doctor said that it was inactive.  He did advise me to stop using, and in retrospect I wish I would have, but I didn't clean up until 2003.  Oh and I did have the prior tests done with the non-A non-B reading, but I was in a messed up head space and I don't have those dates.  latr
I went to my PCP for a simple sore throat and fever that wasn't going away. Upon examination he palpated my liver and told me it was enlarged so he ordered a hep panel and here I am. I also had elevated liver enzymes on a few previous blood tests but was always told it was nothing to worry about. That was in the late 60's early 70's.
I'm geno 3.  You had similar situation?
I known I had been exposed to "Non-A, Non-B" and B hepatitis since at 80s at least. I did understand what that meant. No doctor ever said anything about it. Just that I had been exposed to Hep B and "Non A Non B" hepatitis. Like it was something like small pox I had been exposed to when a child. Something in the past. All my blood tests including AST & ALT over the decades were always normal.

Then in May of 2007 I went to pre-op to talk to an anesthesiologist before having a procedure to remove a kidney stone. In less that 2 minutes...he says "What's wrong with you?" "What do you mean?" I said. He says "The only time I see someone with these blood levels is with someone who had cancer or HIV"...

Needless to say, I was in shock. It was a Friday and I was having the procedure early Tuesday morning. I didn't know what to do. This was the first time I ever had experienced a serious medical issue. After coming partially back to my senses, I decided to worry about the kidney procedure first, then follow up with my primary doc to find out what was going on with my health.

Found out later that the anesthesiologist was looking at my platelet count. Why he drew his "catastrophic" conclusions I don't know.

When I saw my primary doctor he looked at the same blood tests. This was the first time my blood level were out of range. AST and ALT as well as platelet count were out of range. As we all know, low platelet count can be an indication of cirrhosis for someone who has had HCV and HBV for 35 years plus like I had. A biopsy confirmed this unfortunately. Stage 4, cirrhosis.

And so my ongoing saga began...
Cheers.
Hectorsf
I found out by reading my medical file while waiting in the examination room.  My doctor of 15 years had run several tests earlier to try and determine the cause of chronic diarrhea.  At one point, he discussed my elevated liver enzymes and said they may just be normal for me.  He then did a sonogram and drew more blood.  I never heard anything for about 3 months on those tests and figured he had nothing to report.  

Then went to see his colleague for bad cold because he was out of town.  His colleague left me alone for a long time in the examination room with my file.  Finally, I picked it up and looked through it out of boredom.  Last blood test showed positive for HCV.  My doctor ordered the test but failed to tell me the results.  I called the next day and asked for results and nurse told me over the phone that I had it.  Promptly received an official letter informing me after that and suggesting I see a gastro.
Found out during my yearly physical exam in Oct '07. My ALT was 66. . . . 'normal' range was up to 65. The doc called me back and suggested antigen tests. Was positive for hep B antigen (had cleared) and hep C virus positive.

Only remarkable items: my GP was right on top of things. . . he followed through immediately.

I had hep B in 1967 and hep C probably at the same time although certainly no later than early 1971.

Preliminary results: geno 3a; vl 330k; bx grade 1 stage 2 (Metavir)
I found out in Dec 08 after a breakup my bf, I went to get checked for all STDs and hepc bc I found out after our relationship had started that he had the desease, he told me it was not a STD when we broke up I found out differently and went to the Dr for a full workup ...that is when I found out I had it.  I am new to this site as of today there is no support gruops in my community and I stumbled here on accident..I am geno 1 and I go for my biopsy this coming friday, ironically I did go with my ex to his so I do know what to expect and I am still scared beyond belief about the biopsy and the whole hep c thing.  It is hard when you are so alone in a situation as I am sure most of you can relate to, family tries but they never treat you the same after and they always just seem to look at you so different,and not to mention your worries are exagerated.
My office was having a blood drive in 1998.  They offered raffle-style prizes, including a day off with pay.  I didn't win a prize.
A few weeks after I donated my pint, I got a big thick letter from the Red Cross, saying I had tested + for Hep B and C, they were throwing my blood away, putting my name on a 'Do not donate' list and warned me not to try to donate again.  
I ran to my PCP, who did some more tests and determined that I had had Hep B at one point in my life - and I don't know when, as I never turned yellow, never got sick - but only had the antibody, not an active infection.
I did have Hep C, tho, and ended up taking more than 1 day off work for that when I was on treatment!
MYS
I was just dx this past summer FINALLY as when I first was dx was in 1963 with Hepatitis but C didn't exist then  In May of last year I was very ill and was in bed for days getting weaker and weaker I thought I had broncitis and finally was hositalized for a week I was told I needed me gallbladder removed and not by laproscopy new proceedure but the old way as I had blockage in my bilary ducts?  

I went for a second opinon with a GI  after an hour of consultation and examination telling him my complete history of relapses of the HEP in my 20's and 30's he ordered the tests and my results came back positive for HEP C with a viral load of 47,300,000  Never too late (didn't have my gall bladder out
Since then I have had many tests the latest being a CAT scan  first was a ultra sound twice  fibrotest, Fibroscan  and lab work which proved I am
IR  Living with HEP C with IR and doing all I can to learn so when it is time for me to treat to have the best success possible
baja

=============================================

Well, I have had my good laugh for the day and my eyes are tearing up from laughing.  The way you worded it, is just too funny. I started to visualize it but then decided not to go there.
  Your my hero.
I bet it went something like this as you went into the room.
Oh man, Hepatitis C, what am I going to do, HEY PORN!!!!!!!!!!
In  the early 80's I had VERY HIGH liver enzymes. I had a biopsy then at it showed inflammation. I was diagnosed as chronic hepatitis. I remember the doc saying he hoped it wasnt Non A-Non B hepatitis? I had not a clue neither did they as to what was going on.

In 1992 I was told I had Hep C.
I did you drugs at the age of 16 and 17 after that point I didnt do any drugs except for marijuana occasionally.

Thats was it. Thats my story unforrtunately.

This thread has been the greatest!
Dawn,  the biopsy is not that big of a deal...really.  I've had 2 and was freaked out both times but it was just my imagination terriblizing about the procedure.  In reality, it really wasn't that big of a deal, not bad at all.  About the Hep-C, damnit! The good news is that Hep-C can be cured.  Think those positive thought no matter how sick the treatment may cause you to feel.
I am so glad that the Hep-B issue came up here.  I am amazed that so many of us Hep-C'rs have/had Hep-B.  B was a nasty little thing that a lot of needle junkies got from drawing their water out of the toilet for a fix because we sat there waiting to puke and empty out our bowels directly after our fix.  This is repulsive to read and think of but so true.  I had Hep-B in 1977/78.
Love to all
Joey
I posted way early in this thread that I was aware of one contact with the infection through tatooing.  Since then I've remembered going to the plasma lab in the late 70's and being rejected because of something with my blood that they didn't know enough about (according to them) to explain.  I just forgot about it until now.
Joey
For the record, I never drew any water out of any toilet and didn't know anyone who did.  
I was on chemotherapy for treatment of Leukemia when I was 25 years old (1985).  At that time I was receiving 2 units of whole blood and a unit of platelets every day.  I'm one of the few that went into a seriously acute phase and was in a coma for 11 days.  So I pretty much knew right away.

Mouse
My story is very confusing. On 21.01.03 i drank and smoke Hashish. After 10 minutes i got very confused and my heart rate went to 120. BP was also high and i was feeling my self powerfull. i went to emergency and they give some sleeping pills. Next morning when i woke up, i felt tiredness in both legs. Day by day,  i started getting much tired and only after one week i was in the bed completely. The most affected part of my body by this infection was my legs. I lost appetite gradully. i was too weak to walk. After examination the HCV was detected. SGPT was at 142. But i could not get PCR. After 6 years of every time tiredness in legs, i got pcr in aug 2008 and started tx. Now im post 3 week. Feeling better gradualy.

Im confused whether i was infected priorly and drink+smoking boasted it up. Or i got infections through drink or smoke (which is not possible).

"For the record, I never drew any water out of any toilet and didn't know anyone who did."

Same here  
Many thanks to all for your responses.  I note that many of us just stumbled upon the diagnosis by accident.  The random nature of Hep C detection underscores the need for some type of standard screening.

jd
Supposed to have regular liver panels done because I have polycystic ovarian syndrome - hadn't had one done fro over a year - went to Dr about migraines - he did a liver panel and found out my enzymes were elevated - tested me for hep a, b, and c and hiv - positive for hep c.  At least I know I didn't have it very long before they detected it.

I always tell family and friends that if you are not going to get yourself tested for STD's, the Heps, or HIV then at least get a liver panel done with your yearly examination -cuz you just never know.
Had an acute case in 1971 as a teenager.  Looked like a jackolantern, itched and sat on the couch for a month.  They did not differentiate the types way back then.
Fast forward to last summer....Had a racing heart rate, went to Doc and he was looking for heart attack evidence and turned up high AST/ALT. More bloodwork for liver diseases and turned up HCV.   Shocked to know I'd had it 38 years!

Lots more tests, scans, MRI's etc. and found cirrhosis.  I realize now that I was close to decompensating: itchy, bruising, slow clotting.  What was so terrifying was how close I came but it seems so mild now that I am reading about folks who did not find it until bleeding varices occurred

20 weeks in with SOC & boceprevir, miserable, crashing HGB, platelets & WBC but still incredibly grateful and happy to have started tx before I decompensated.
Did you have the itching clotting brusing before you found out about the cirrhosis? My husband just found out he has it from a routine physical.But no symtoms (symptoms). Although his liver enzymes ave been high off an on and they never did the hep c test. Unbelievable.he has had ultra sound and a specalist ordered full liver panel. So worried. He drinks beer not since he found out but all these years.
Welcome to the forum.

This is a very old thread. You will get more responses if you go to the top of the page and click on the orange rectangle "Post a Question" and then post your question. Be clear about what you are asking. The more information you give us, the better we can respond to you.

Did your husband have a Hepatitis C antibody test or did he have the Hepatitis C RNA test. Does he have a viral load. The antibody test tells you only if he has been exposed to Hepatitis C. The Hep C RNA test will tell you if he has chronic Hepatitis C. However, if his liver enzymes have been elevated for a while, then it sounds like he may have chronic Hep C.

If he has chronic Hepatitis C, his doctor will probably order a liver biopsy and the biopsy will tell you what stage of liver fibrosis he has. There are 5 stages of fibrosis. 0 means no damage, 1 is mild damage, 2 is moderate damage, 3  is more advanced than 2 but not as advanced as 4, and 4 means advanced liver fibrosis (Cirrhosis). Many people have no symptoms that they are aware of. However, Hepatitis C has many extrahepatic manifestations and it is only later that people realize that they do, in fact have some symptoms of Hep C. Fatigue is one of the most common symptoms of Hep C.

This is a good forum. There are many knowledgeable people on it and people will respond to your questions.

Again, it is best to start a new thread if you wish to get the most responses.