Hepatitis C Community
How its it possible that I have it and he doesn't?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

He was shocked to find out about my dignosas.  Then I was surprised at his reaction that he doesn't have it and told me he was recently tested .  I was like really??? How can that be???  Considering that he was an I.V. drug user, and we had plenty of unprotected "adult relations"  while knowing that I wasn't the only "girl"  he was having sex with.  
  It is really rare to catch Hep C, via sexual contact.
Not all I.V. drug users have Hep C.  Even if they are exposed to it, they have a 25% chance of throwingit off,  with their immune systems, within the first 6 months of exposure, called the "acute" phase.
   Theoretically, some people may have immune systems that have foughtoff Hep C more than once.
    In order for you to give your friend Hep, via sexual intercourse, he would have to have an open cut come into contact with your blood~
off-topic but I goofed up when filling out my profile.  I'm a woman, not a guy.  How embarrassing for me.   Now its fixed.  

Ok.  Its possible that he has a mega-strong immune system knowing how he lives his life.  

I read recently much to my surprise that snorting drugs can pass the Hep C virus.
Lol, ya know what? Almost everybody on this Forum makes that same mistake at first..hehheh
    Yeah, well...like is full of irony, aint it? You prob got your Hep C
when you had that surgery, way back when.  Quite a few people onhere dont know how they got it either.
   Have you had labs done yet, to see if your liver enzymes are elevated,
or any other irregularities?  Generally, people start with labs, and an UltraSound, to rule out the possibility of masses, within the liver.
   If the labs are off, your Doctor may reccomend you get a biopsy, to see at what stage your liver is in. here are 4 stages;  stage 0 is no damage, stage 1 is a bit damaged, stage 2 is moderate damage, like scarring/fibrosis. Stage 3 is quite a bit of scar tissue, reerred to as bridging fibrosis, and stage 4 is the final stage, aka known as cirrhosis.
    A very safe Treatment is expected to be made available, in 2~5 yrs.
Right now Interferon is still being used, which is harsh on the body. But if you are at Stage 3 or 4, I feel like it is a good idea to treat it anyway.

As Bo pointed out not every one who used IV drugs had hep C. They would have to share a needle with someone who had the virus, to contract it.

It can be transmitted intranasaly, meaning from snorting drugs, especially when people use plastic straws.

You could have contracted the virus any number of ways that have nothing to do with this guy at all.

How you got it isn't important.
Good luck,
OH
Immune system or not if he's sharing his needles he is playing with fire and my bet is he will sooner or later get burned.
  Yeah, I would try to get your friend to read some excerpts from this Forum. Many people have quit I.V. drugs, and they have new meds out, to help with that~
Considering that he was an I.V. drug user
_______________-
Much of what you say in reference to this guy is in the past tense - like he is is no longer using IV drugs. And having unprotected relations.

It is very possible this person had nothing to do with your contracting the virus. For so many years I had no doubt in my mind whatsoever how I contracted Hepatitis C. Since then certain things have come to light that made me realize there could have been other ways.

I guess the point is some of us will never 100% how we contracted HCV.
10356 commented on msdelight's status
Nighthawk61 commented on mishymoshymarcy's status
Nighthawk61 I DO NOT KNOW THE WORD FEAR... Comment
May 05
Track your weight over time