Hepatitis C Community
How long have you all had hep C?????

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

How long have you all had hep C?????

How long have you all had hep C?? I was told I had it about 3 years ago but I probley got it in the mid ninetys
Many, many people here have had this for 20, 30, or 40+ years. I myself figure it's about 35 for me.

You're a relative newb as far as length of infection goes :-)

I have no clue how long ago I was exposed. I wish I knew. I think most people don't know.
Thanks Robert, how are you feeling these days????
Thanks for the reply. I hope your doing well?
I've had it about 30 years. I am hoping I won't have it much longer! Take Care-Dave
Thanks!!! for the reply spectda, are you starting treatment?? and who's Dave??
Dave? Dave's not here.
Sorry, ask your old hippie uncle about the reference.

I've had it around 35 years.
Spectda is Dave; because we eSpectda him to be someone else, I guess :).

Have you considered treatment yet? Do you know what genotype you are? Have you discussed having a biopsy with your doctor yet? Welcome to the discussion group, by the way.

Feel free to ask questions, and get familiar with the disease and its treatment. If you have any questions, someone will try to answer them for you.

Take care,

--Bill
Thanks Bill  I had a biopsy 2 years ago and my liver looked pretty good then, I thought I would wait a while for treatment and pray something comes in the way of another treatment.. P.S. IM 1954 too!!!
many many years ago at the beginning of email when the choices of sign in names were few, a computer turned my last name "Spector" into the infamous spectda. Being the amazingly uncreative and lazy person I have been with regards to this, I have used it on many forums. LOL-Just call me dave
Sunday will be the end of my seventh week in a boceprevir trial. -
I am impressed, you were able to start your own thread without tagging on to one that was 5 years old. That's a good sign! LOL
I had it for about 30-40 years.  Sneaky little virus.  My daughter has had it for 20.  I was 1/1 pre-tx and assume it's the same now.  She was 1/1 last year.
Ah; fine vintage indeed :o). It sounds like you’ve come up with a pretty good plan. Does your doctor check you now and then just to make sure you’re still kicking around and living well? Are you watching the press releases or internet chatter regarding protease inhibitors? Telaprevir may be approved as early as next year; has your doctor discussed this or others like it with you?

Bill
Hi there,
I am also new to this site.  It is a huge kick in the mouth to find out such harsh news.  But do remember, that you can live a full and happy life being Hep C positive.  The most important thing to do is to remain healthy, and don't binge drink.  I wish you all the best of luck.

By the way what country, or city do you live in?

I contracted from a tattoo 22 years ago.  I have just finished treatment three months ago, and my viral load is currently negative, so just hoping it stays that way.  I am feeling quite okay, and try to remain healthy, but still eat chocolate every day.  I don't drink, smoke or do drugs. So hoping to live to see my grandchildren.

take care

When I began treatment, I'd it for probably almost 50 years. BTW--I'm 1954 as well. :)  
Hi there!!  Well I don't drink at all, but I smoke weed to much and I hear now it speeds up the liver wear process. but it helps when your on treatment.So I don;t know it sure helps me for now. I get depressed when I dont smoke it. I live in San Diego
infected in May 1981.  - a little over 29years.
blessings,
eric
BLESS YOU ERIC.. 29 YRS + THATS GREAT,  AND THATS WITH NO TREATMENT??
20 to 25 years for me.
I started TX 5/21
maybe as early as 68 or as late as 94, who knows.  my best guess is 71, when I went into the service.
I am 33 y/o now, was infected through blood transfusion as a newborn. Diagnosed with "nonA/nonB" in 1977. Never had any symptoms or health problems dut to this though. Almost done with my tx, I optimistic I will achieve SVR this year :)
I am 61 and had a blood transfusion as baby. Had my first biopsy in 1970 and was diag with non a non b.have no idea other than that. Biopsy was because of elevated liver enzymes.
Barb
Best guess is that amazing year of 1970 and doc is on board with this as most probable.

Diagnosed by fluke in 1995 and treated in 2008-2009. Went on to 'SVR', which is what we call a clinical cure around here.

Yup, glad it's gone but I'm one of those who didn't think about it much and was symptom-free. Decided to treat for strange reasons, one being that my older son kept bugging me to take the plunge. There were times during treatment that I wished I hadn't but now I'm so glad I did.

Susan
Contracted 2b in 1965 via blood transfusion. Finally decided to do tx and gastro said "You want to add more poison to your body?" Then, he prescribed Nexium for digestive problems. Which gave me IBS that I hadn't experienced for 30 years. Threw them in the toilet. Gastro says I'm basically very healthy. Doesn't matter that I sleep way too much and have a swollen ab every evening. I gave up. I drink and eat any damned thing I want now and wear loose clothing and expect to live until I'm 82.
Oldhepper, How are you sir? read your post, thanks, So you have hep c since 65 and you have no treatment? Your sleepy all the time, and your stomach is swoolen in the evening? You sound like your going to live utill your 92 , how old are you now??
I tried drugs in 1972. One time deal. Got it then, most of the people who were at that party are very sick or dead now. I consider myself lucky in that I quit drinking and doing any drugs back then and have not touched a drop since. So I have had Hep C for 38 years and dx 7 years ago.
i have not attempted treatment.  perhaps when the PIs show up in a year or two i will have a go at it.  i was in an accident in 1981 that resulted in a fractured liver among other injuries.   i was transfused with about 70 units of whole blood and additional units of platelets.   since that time i have experienced elevated transaminases.  three years ago the docs said that the disease had progressed to cirrhosis.   i seem to recall reading that after about 30 years with this disease about 40 percent develop cirrhosis.  a more recent article states "Most HCV patients, if untreated, are expected to develop cirrhosis at about 65 years, irrespective of the age at infection. Thus, age itself seems even more important than age at infection for predicting the occurrence of liver cirrhosis."  from http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/554637
40 yrs. Stopped tx 2 weeks ago after 12 weeks. Now in the telaprevir waiting room. No smoking or drugs for 17 yrs. Playing rigorous handball 2-3 times a week for last 25 years.
In my case, it was discovered during a routine blood test pre-surgery in 1994. However, I also had multiple surgeries prior to 1992 when there was no Hepatitis C test available for donated blood, so who knows how many years, since my first hip surgeries were in 1977. My doctor and I are convinced it was from a blood transfusion since I've never done any drugs except pot in college in 1967... Oh, am I dating myself?

Magnum
I'll be 68 in October and I'm a woman. Thanks for your email.
No idea for sure. Possible infections were in 1967 and 1972. I guess that makes my virons around 49 years old.
I  can actually pinpoint exactly  when I got  Hep C by my relatively rare genotype which I shared with my sister whom I shared works with a few times in 1972.

Intersting sidenote: Though her liver damage was slightly more significant, she SVR'd easily with just  six months of treatment! Me, not so lucky. As are BMI's are strikingly similar, I'm convinced women generally have better chances of clearance. Who said it's a man's world?

Like brainmo, I sometimes think of the talented trailblazers we hung out with and I know many of them didn't make it. I consider both my sister and I so fortunate that we did and I'm real grateful for that.
It's "Dave's not here, mannnn" circa 1971 for me, most likely drugs but possible military vacs, you know, the basic training air gun gauntlets.
Hey, I lost a star!! Didn't know they took 'em away if you've been away! jerry
most likely contacted HepC in 1974. my own fault. IV Drugs a few times

Biopsy 2/2 in 2004. treated unsucessfully 2004.

Waiting for Teleprevir.Going to do some of the other things I learned from this site: predose riba,take riba with fat, take peg shots every 4 to 5 days for the first few weeks, add Vit D
Oops! virons about 40 years (damn fat fingers!)
I was infected about 39 years ago.  I am currently in week 30 of a 48-week treatment with Pegasys/Ribavirin/TMC435.
Probably picked up Hep C during the 70's-punk rock/drug era. Oh we were young and stupid.................
Too long for my liking!  27 yrs here...   Susan400