Hepatitis C Community
How much does treatment cost?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

How much does treatment cost?

How much does treatment cost?
A year of HCV therapy here in the U.S. can cost more than $USD 40.000 (PHP 1.737.600). The drugs and care may be less expensive in Cebu though.

FlGuy makes a good point; have you gotten a genotype yet? A genotype test would be the next logical step, and it requires sufficient virus present to process. If the test can’t be run, it’s very likely you don’t have active infection.

--Bill
It depends on a few factors.  If you do not have medical insurance, many many thousands of dollars.  On the other hand, if you do not have hepatitis C it's fairly inexpensive.  Did you have that viral load test?
My treatment with all meds and tests cost about $200,000.
But my insurance paid most of it my monthly SOC cost was $40, then the Procrit was about the same, ambien, etc etc etc.......

But if you dont have it then FLGuy is right it's pretty inexpensive!
Also, right now I'm in a study and everything is free  wheeeee,
I have no insurance and certainly no money ( paycheck to paycheck)  so this study came just in time.  Of course you are part of research for study drugs, but so far so good.

--Bill
my doctor scheduled me for a viral load test tomorrow..
does that include the test?...yes i will be having my genotype tested as soon as my viral load test are done maybe two weeks from now...
i'm hoping that i have cleared the virus on my own...my hopes are up *Fingers Crossed*
Good luck,

Mike
Your doctor can apply to a pharmaceutical company for a "compassionate use" for those with low income or no insurance. You may have to fill out a stack of papers, but Dr. Gish of Sacramento University has said that a friend of mine with Hep C could apply for that. Don't take my word verbatim, but look into that possibility with your doctor. Best of luck...

Magnum
sorry for being a verbatim...i'm not so fluent with English
I'm so #(*& screwed.  What if my spouse or kids got it from me?   What the hell is there in the medication that costs more than my house cost?  
yup I'm officially freaked out now.
Greendesert—

All is not lost; the manufacturers of HCV treatment drugs provide patient assistance programs for those that are unable to afford the drugs; assuming they reside in the U.S. and their income levels meet their requirements.

“What the hell is there in the medication that costs more than my house cost? “

It’s not so much what these drugs cost to directly manufacture as it is to recoup research and development expenses. The drugs can take ten years to get from concept to shelf, and there can be 10’s of millions of dollars invested by pharma.

It’s unlikely your kids or spouse contracted this from you; it only transmits via blood-to-blood contact. Many of us have been married for decades and have not passed this to our spouses.

Welcome to the discussion group-

--Bill

Don't freak out over that $200,000 figure.  First of all, nygirl is speaking only to her own situation and she did treatment for 72 weeks - that applies to a much smaller minority of people doing treatment.  Second of all, most people aren't paying every single bit of cost for their treatment, they're getting some kind of help somewhere, either insurance, or compassionate care via the drug company, some go on a clinical trial....and I suppose some pay out of pocket if they can but I wouldn't know how that works in the U.S.  - I don't know what medicare covers.  (I'm in Canada and that's a whole other ballgame - the medical appointments and tests are covered, drugs aren't but work insurance will cover a fair bit and government funding MIGHT cover some with various caveats.)

Lots of people in all sorts of situations have done treatment so you'd figure there are various ways to manage it and I imagine you'll find your own way also.  Good luck with that.  

Trish

Just....don't think your only option is to sell your first-born.
I am living & treating HCV in Indonesia ... Treatment for SOC (Inf + RBV) here is about US $1100 for the Inf per month , the RBV they give for free  .... + .... whatever the cost of blood testing ...

If your living in Cebu , the cost will probably be much less than the states ... probably half or less than the cost of the "average" US cost ..... the $200,000 quoted by nygirl is not even close to the average cost .... It will be much less then the U.S. like all medical treatments in the Philippines....

I think the "help" of the "patient assistance programs" by Roche ... is not likely to happen in a developing nation ... but maybe you should try to ask first ..... if they won't give you the drugs for free then :

If you do decide to treat with Roche Inf make sure you contact Roche Philippines & ask them who their local distributer is in Cebu & ask their contact number ... contact the local distributor directly and ask their price .... the cost of buying from a pharmacy will be at least 10 to 20 % more expensive than buying from the distributer ... do the same if you decide to treat with the Shearing-Plough Inf ....

I did this here , saved 15% & use the savings to help pay for the blood tests ....

Good luck & I hope this helps , Aaron
so what was the cost of your whole treatment including the tests?
Still in treatment , G1a ,  16 wk shot tmrw ....  PCR RNA (viral load) tests are the expensive ones ... here per test US $230 , I have done 1 per month for the first 3 months & will probably control with a new test every 6 - 8 wks .... Blood test for ALT , AST , HGB , WBC , RBC etc ... around US $ 20.00 , I try to do these every 2 to 3 weeks now ... when i started every week for 2 months to monitor HGB for anemia & TSHs for Thyroid ....

$ 1100 x 11 months = US $12,100 ++

It's up to you  , how you want to control ... I do more tests than many folks , but not as much as others ...

You should ask there for complete info ....
so what is you total cost of everything including test?
My treatment cost also includes about $80,000 of Procrit I had to take.  Of course I did not pay that for it ($40 copay a box of 10, two a week)........

If you have insurance then you are set if not then it's much more expensive when you add on rescue meds and other medications needed.

You should get local price in your country , if you are G1 = 11 months minimum treatment , G2-3 = 6 months minimum treatment ... + blood tests , rescue drugs if needed ..

I've sent you several times what my cost here in Indonesia ...

What is important to you is the cost in the Philippines ... NOT the price in the U.S. or different country ,

It will be different cost in different country's ... and different cost for different genotype & different cost for individual reaction to the drugs ..

There is no 1 set price for everybody ...

Understand ?
Hepatitis C:Treatment Guidelines "With The GOOD gene", The Cost Of Treatment Telaprevir/Boceprevir

http://hepatitiscnewdrugs.blogspot.com/2011/01/hepatitis-ctreatment-guidelineswith.html
I discover my HCV when i donated blood to my cousin last May of 1988. but i did not bother at all until now. What should i do guys? pls help me.