Hepatitis C Community
How to lower ALT levels

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

How to lower ALT levels

My ALT levels were high, 325.  The doctor suggested a liver biopsy.  The results showed everything was healthy.  Since the biopsy, I have taken two more blood test, and it shows the alt levels are still high, 430 and 285.  The doctor wants me to get the levels below 250.

How can I do this?  I am in excellent shape, I eat healthy and exercise 3-4 times a week.

All the hep tests are negative too.  What can be the cause for the elevated ALT level?  The AST and GGT are slightly high and was not a concern for the doctor.

That is puzzling to why they would be running high since you don't have hepatits.  What about alcohol? That can cause the enzymes to also go up.
Strenuous exercise can affect alanine aminotransferase (ALT) test results. For this reason, avoid strenuous exercise before having this test done.

I have encoutered a lot of medical literature stating that coffee reduces ALT & AST levels. You may want to further research this subject using Gooogle or by other search engines.
ALT values can be raised by certain drugs as well as by alcohol.

Good luck all,
Ben
certain things can be wrong with the liver and yet it might not have any damage yet...like the beginning stages of certain diseases or causes...actually i think i read that if you get an accute hepatitus (hepatitis) c or other it may take a while before viral levels and antibodies show up...make sure the dr rules out other possible causes and kinds of liver disease...last thing you would want is a few years from now having the fibrosis/cirhosis to go with the high liver numbers...best to find it now and get rid of the cause...

sandi

~check this site for an extensive list of liver diseases...

http://cpmcnet.columbia.edu/dept/gi/disliv.html

~check this site for common lab results in liver disease

http://cpmcnet.columbia.edu/dept/gi/labtests.html
Thanks for the feedback.

I think I have the doctors perplexed.  The biopsy was clear of any liver dieses or signs of fatty liver.

Yet my result were...
Blood Test 1: ALT/AST/GGT 430/105/79

Blodd Test 2: ALT/AST/GGT 285/99/59

I don't drink.  I eat a lot of vegtables.  I know Vitimain A elevates levels, but I cannot find any numbers on how much exercise and vitimin A increase levels.
i would stop all added vit A with those numbers until you find out...

what other suppliments and meds do you take? do a search on "vitamin A toxic liver" and you should be able to find info on A...i was just reading about it yesterday. i was looking up liver toxic medicines...

hope ya find out soon.