Hepatitis C Community
Husband has Hep B

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Husband has Hep B

My husband has HepB along with C. My question is how easy is it for me to contract B from him. I was tested about five yrs ago when I found out I had C. I didn't have B then.
Try:

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/viralhepatitis/index.htm#hepb

or

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/hepb_ez/index.htm

looks like both have good information which may answer the questions you have.
How long has he had B? Have you been tested again recently? If not I would test for this and if you don't have it, why don't you get the vaccine for B? This would greatly reduce your chances of getting it. My ex had Hep B. That was in the late 70's. I was told I was a carrier. In the "96 I was told I didn't have it, but I did have Hep C. He ended up dying of AIDS, thankfully I had divorced him and never got it. His new wife did and she died too. Two smaill children they left behind.

I know that Hep B is easier to catch through sex, but I am not sure of all they ways of transmission. Check out the links above. Is your husband being treated for Hep B or Hep C? If you don't mind my asking, how do you think you got Hep C? From him?

I think the way to go would be vaccines for B. It takes a while, as you need 3 shots, but this possibly would protect you.

Good luck!
Linda
I just thought I'd mention that the series of 3 vaccination shots sfbaygirl mentions are given as the first then 3 months later the second and finally six months after the second the third and final shot. Which is why she mentioned that it does take some time to get the entire vaccionation series for HBV.
Hey there girl, thanks for getting back to me. I't has been about four years ago when I was tested for B. I did take to of the B vacines. I stopped the tx and so I never finihed the hepb shots. And no I don't mind you asking how I got C. My ex-husband showed me the wonderful way of getting high by skin popping. Of course he didn't twist my arm. I made that chose on my own. He had done that for years before I meant him. I used after him. How stupid! After the second time of me trying it with him, about 6weeks later, I turned jaundice. Went to the doctor's and of course in 1983 they did not know of Hepc, as you already know. So they thought I had A. Then about five years ago a clinic was offering free Hepc tests, I took it for the hell of it. Now I'm where I am today. And no my current husband has never been on treatment, he's never even had a viral load done. That is all changing next month. He has a appointment with my PC doctor.
That's good your husband is getting checked out. Two shots of the Hep B vacine is not enough. You will have to do it all over again. I have had to start over twice already! The last time was when I started tx and was to sick with anemia to make the appt. for the second shot. Oh well, another time, but you need to do this girl! Get tested and get the vacine.

My ex was a junkie. Luckily, I divorced him before he gave me AIDS and died. Boy do we make some big mistakes when we are young!

Hope all is well otherwise. When do you go back to the dr?
I go back to the doctor's on Sept. 19. I'm gonna talk to him about taking the hepb shots, again. And I guess about having a biospy, which I'm not looking forward to at all. You said your ex died of aids. We are really lucky not to have gotten that! This is bad enough in it's self. I have been so busy this week, with my Mom having surgery on her hand. I haven't been on the threads much at all. I need to send Kalio1 a message. The same as you a really nice person. I was thinking last night (uh oh), how I have made friends already on these threads. Thanks for being here for me.
It's great you are helping your mother. It is my pleasure to be there for you. You seem like a genuinely nice person, who like me as a dreaded scary disease. Thank goodness for this place that we can meet, share stories and comfort each other. I am glad you are here!