Hepatitis C Community
Husband's results after 12 weeks of treatment...

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hello there everyone!

It has been a little while since I have been on here however we, hubby is going through the treatment and I am supporting him 110%!  

As you all know week 12 of treatment is the week the viral load is checked and is hoped to come back NEGATIVE.

At start he had a viral load of 6,000,000 (the 6th)

After the 4th week decreased to 430,000 (the 4th) which we all thought was great!

And now the 12th week decreased to the thousands (the 3rd)

His chance is now 20% cure rate. He has cirrhosis so the hep c needs to be gone so his liver can start to heal itself.

If he clears at week 24 then he is to be on treatment another 48 weeks to ensure it is gone!

MY QUESTION TO EVERYONE IS WHAT WOULD YOU DO? CONTINUE WITH THE TREATMENT UP UNTIL WEEK 24 AND SEE HOW THAT GOES OR STOP NOW?

Thanks!
Cwar
your support for your mate will be what brings success
I was diagnosed at 65 with a vl of 28,000,000 and stage 4 cirrosis (cirrhosis).
a second vl test just before treatment was greater then 200 million.
at 12 weeks vl = 280
undet at 24 weeks
undet at 4 weeks post
at 12 weeks post vl >1 million
irregardless of failing I feel as my doc said - "it will give your liver a break til the newer drugs come online"
the treatment is awful.
against your success is the cirrosis (cirrhosis) ; there is a report from one of the two major protease inhibitors in trials that their high success rate was irregardless of cirrosis (cirrhosis).
lower bmi = greater success - dont be overweight
during treatment I discovered one of mans greatest inventions; the hot water bottle - the worse for me was around week 40 when the PFM kicked in strong with the feeling that this was how I'd feel the rest of my life - wasn't true  - after tx I certainly feel better then I did before, and with losing weight and consequently getting my blood sugar under control I feel better then i have in 10 years
of course no alcohol, no red meat....
blessings on us all
I think important to mention that your hubby is on the Eltrombopag trial, hope you don't mind me mentioning that. I think that's a real bonus that he's got the benefit of that while he does his treatment.  You already know what I think, cwar.  I say hang in there til it's absolutely clear that he needs to stop - either because the results say call it quits or his physical health is threatened more by being on treatment than off of it.  

He won't be the first person to go 72 weeks and he won't be the last.  He's got good company here - there is a 72 week thread somewhere.

I agree with Joseph - you will be a big part of his success.  Make sure you take care of you though, as you go.  My thoughts are with you.

Trish
The 2009 AASLD treatment of HCV guidelines are looking for UD by 24 weeks.  To be UD by 12 weeks is a great indicator, but it's not the 'official' goal, clear at 24 weeks is.  Personally, I'd continue, and I'm not a big fan of interferon.  An experienced doctor's opinion is the most important opinion on your husband's case.
I'd stick it out until 24 weeks also. I also have cirrhosis and though I cleared by 12, I still have to do 72 (now at week 50). It's gotten to the point that tx is kind of security system for me....I may relapse after all is said and done, but I feel like I'm buying myself time until the new drugs come out should I need to re-treat. .Of course, how he's tolerating treatment would figure in here too.

Bottom line, IMHO, at Stage 4, go the distance.......20% is still better than zero.

Good luck! Pam
I'm assuming your quoted 20% success rate is well documented and that this figure is because he has cirrhosis, right?
O.K., so  I'd still continue to 24 weeks and then go from there. As a cirrhotic patient, your husband should be treating NOW and not waiting. Further, if he does clear by 24 weeks, he should treat for 72 weeks, and not 48.
Hang in there, you can do this! Wishing you lots of luck going forward....
Thank you to all for your positive responses!  Does anyone know the name of the new drugs coming in to effect soon?  

Thanks!
CWar