Hepatitis C Community
I NEED AN URGENT ADVICE

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I NEED AN URGENT ADVICE

I am genotype 4 and started treatment with baseline of 2.7 million viral load after 4 weeks of SOC test result was 626,000. Then my GI added victrelis (which is not recommended for my genotype). My 8 week result after taking Victrelis for 4 weeks  is viral load 1020. Does it mean that the Victrelis is working for me?
I have a serious decision to make here because at week 12 if I don't have result less than 100, the whole treatment will be discontinued or I can stop Victrelis now and fall back on SOC and take my time and do longer treatment and hoping to clear. I am black and don't think I respond well to interferon.
Please folks your advise is highly needed here.
I am very grateful to this forum and I love and respect our common bond and friendship and ability to help each other. I don't write much because I don't know much about this virus.
I know black people seem to have a harder time clearing the virus.
We have a member here named beeblessed who is black, and doing treatment. She's genotype 1.
You could try sending her a private message. She might be able to help.

Best of luck~
OH
You VL test at week 4 which usually gives a fairly good  indication of response to INF.It was only a .64 log drop,which unfortunately is not very good.Without the guideline of at least a 1 log drop the rates of success  dropped in trial to approx. 30 to 35 % for Geno type 1"s with this response

You have already mentioned that VIc, is not approved for G4 and as I have linked below it had vey poor response to your Genotype. It seems given this study INCI. faired somewhat beter.

Should you continue VIC??  Well you have to treat for 48 weeks total if you are going to continue ,,as you were not UND. at week8,,therefore it would entail another 28 weeks of Vic,when it is shown not to be very efective for G 4,and yes you are correct if you are correct if the VL is still>100 at Wk.12 then tx. is to discontinue

Hard to advise  on the cont. of Vic as the drug is not even approved for your therapy.

It looks like according to this below they are working on other modalities for your geno type

.Good luck

Will

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1478-3231.2011.02704.x/full

The results of the concept study show that telaprevir is active against HCV-4 after 15 days of monotherapy or in combination with PEG-IFN and RBV compared with PEG-IFN, RBV and placebo [28]. Boceprevir the other drug with direct action, is also effective in HCV-1 patients [29], however, preliminary data suggest that boceprevir might not be effective in HCV-4 with the present regimen [30].

Conclusion
The development of new drugs and off-label use of other drugs is still of interest to improve the treatment of chronic HCV, especially in patients with genotype 4. Many promising molecules must still be evaluated to determine their potency, efficacy and safety.

Thanks for your response and insight. I am waiting to hear from more folks and also to talk to the GI doctor. I am also doing some readings on the link posted by willbb.
Hey Zako,

If I were you.....I'd give the folks at Merck a call today.  Here is a link to their Victrelis page, which has a button to click on for 24 hour nurse questions:

http://www.victrelis.com/boceprevir/victrelis/consumer/hep-c-treatment-path.jsp

I'm rushing but did not find any reference to geno 4 and Victrelis.  Keep me posted on what you find out.  I don't like the sound of you taking meds that may not be the right ones for your genotype.  It's like treating a stomachache with Nyquil.

Bee