Hepatitis C Community
I am a school bus driver-- question about meds

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I took a treatment in 1991 which was with interferon for 6mths... I have been in remission.... just now ( 2010) started to have problems again and viral count is 13 million 622 thousand something..... I need to know if they have drugs I can take and still drive professionally....??????????????  does anyone know about this type of thing?
They again are treating with Interferon and Ribavirin, I do not know if you will still be able to drive it is so individual, some people have significant side effects and some do not, for instance my husbans is taking the treatment and he is quite alright so far, I think he would be able to drive bus if he were a bus driver, you should take shot on Friday evening and there is no school on the weekend so on Monday you will be alright already
  I don't think it would be a good idea. People trust you with the lives of their children and expect you to be on top of your game. You will loose your edge with the slightest Brain Fog. I would be surprised if they would allow you drive, if they knew you were taking medication that would jeopardize the safety of the children. I am sure they have a legal obligation, not to allow you to drive.
I must agree with R Glass. My brain fog has really gotten bad at times and I stopped at a green light and drove through a red light. There have even been times when I arrived at my destination and couldn't remember how I got there. Needless to say, I only drive when necessary now and really try to keep in mind my tendencies, but like stated above, doing it every day could put the children in danger.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but it is the truth,,, for me anyhow.

Diane
I disagree to the extent that we all react differently; I never got overly ill from the drugs, and other than feeling tired and fatigued, I’m quite sure I could have driven for a living.

Unfortunately, there’s no way to predict ahead of time how you might feel. We have had a number of long haul truck drivers in here that have successfully treated and maintained their jobs though.

Good luck-

Bill

As Bill has said,everyone seems to react differently,personally being now into the 3rd month of tx. ,fortunately I haven"t missed a beat as far as my career. That doesn"t entail driving,however I drive a lot and have not been affected that way in the least.

All the best

WILL
There is no law that specifically prohibits someone from driving while on the treatment drugs. Everyone reacts differently to the drugs so it would have to be a choice you have to make. You could start the drugs and see how you feel. Since driving a school bus is typically a few hours in the morning and few in the afternoon you could go home rest then do your run in the afternoon. I would not tell your employer as you will open a can of worms that you wish you hadn't.

Best of luck
You may do just fine. See how it goes on a week to week basis. A couple good things going for you, if your bus driveing schedule is similar to ours out here in the boonies, is that you drive for a couple hours, have a couple hours down time, then a couple more hours of drive time in late afternoon. This would allow you some rest midday if needed. With weekends, holidays and summers off, it may bode well for you, especially if you are a G2 which I'm guessing at from your prior 6 months tx.

As with most of us, you kinda have to jump in there feet first and hope for the best - then make adjustments as needed down the line. I would see more issues with stress from the meds and dealing with a bus load of kids, but you're an experienced driver and I am very much out of the 'kid' loop these days. Good luck to you!   Pam
Haha, SNAP, copyman!
The only way I would agree with the others would be if you were one of the few that has little to no side effects and would step down at the first sign of them.

I don’t think we are matching apples for apples here. We are not talking about a commute to work or driving a Semi down the interstate. We are talking about a bus full of children whom their safety has been placed in your hands.  

My opinion is, a bus full of screaming children, Traffic, Weather Conditions, a must meet schedule, and Treatment is a mixture for disaster.

I also believe that if an accident did happen and they found out you were driving while doing a treatment that could affect your ability to make safe decisions and reactions, would more than likely cause legal ramifications.
To date there is nothing on the law books that prevents any person from driving any vehicle in any capacity while undergoing antiviral therapy.   The severity of cognitive issues varies greatly and common sense should dictate whether a person feels in control enough to do their designated job safely and effectively.

Trinity

What you say makes a lot of sense except in my case... I didn't realize that I wasn't seeing the lights right until my son pointed it out to me. I try to be careful when I HAVE to drive but I still find my mind wandering and on riba rage days (I know Mike... it's really caused by interferon) when my 2 kids are talking and fussing a lot my concentration just goes out the window... much less my patience. I couldn't imagine what I'd be like with a whole bus full of loud, rude kids in my ears.

Diane
Not everyone experiences debilitating brain fog or suffers impaired cognitive issues so I must say it should not be made to look like it's a given for everyone.  I've sure I've driven with a hangover or maladies from other illnesses that made me an endangerment to myself or someone else than anytime I was on treatment.   It really depends on the person and how they react to the drugs.  Anemia, fatigue or other medications a person may be taking all play a role.  We should be guarded but not paranoid about driving while on treatment.  Again, common sense should prevail and I must say in my case it didn't take anyone else to tell me when I was lacking it.

Trinity
I called a friend of mine whose wife has driven a School Bus for years. He said the policy here is they are not allowed to drive taking any medication that could impair their driving. He said one was written up for Nyquil. Another was fired for 1st offence DUI that she received on her own time. I know they are strict here and I don’t know what the policies are there but, it would surprise me if they allowed you to drive under the influence of any medication that could jeopardize the safety of the children.
Being a school bus driver also(for 15 yrs now)I know too well what my responsibilities are as far as my job.I will be treating this summer hopefully and plan on continuing to drive as long as the sides dont mess with me.There is NO law here in the states that says I cant while on antiviral therapy.Nyquil? I thnk I would have fought that one and as far as getting a DUI-in your personal vehicle or not that driver should have been fired-Peroid!!!!!We as drivers take an oath to the safety of our children and if I dont think I can do it I wont.As far as my employer goes-they dont know and wont know-I dont have to tell anybody.If you worked with 350 gossipy women-I dont think you would either.

I know several truck drivers that are driving and doing tx.It all depends on the person and how the sides are gonna affect them.Again this is a common sense for the person doung the tx.

Your idea of a shool bus full of screaming children is way out of line..COME  and RIDE mine .I have control of my children-something alot of drivers dont have.
Back up a little bit. I never said anything about Law. I said Policy. Example, there is no law that says I can’t wear Tennis Shoes and Shorts to work at my jobsite. Company Policy says I will be terminated. The Policy here is (School Board not Judicial System) you cannot drive a school bus under the influence of any medication they could impair…… Your policy may vary.

"Your idea of a shool bus full of screaming children is way out of line..COME  and RIDE mine .I have control of my children-something alot of drivers dont have."

I don’t think so. Maybe in your neck of the woods but not here. Here either the PD or Sheriff Department is stationed at most transfers (this is not for their safety) Some busses have security riding with them. I can't blame the drivers because lack of Parenting.
RIDE and COME ....  put in one sentence....  

kind of reminds of something more enjoyable than being on a school bus...

Sorry, couldn't help myself...
Hahaha :o)!
Gotta think of something when Goofball isn't around...
I'll just come along for the ride :)
Look at Miss Marcia. I am impressed.

Speaking of Policy, If I don’t quit spending so much time goofing off on this computer and get some work done, I’m  gonna get terminated.
Please - don't denigrate Goofy's humor because, frankly, that "joke" was rather weak compared to Goofy's material.
My bad..policy instead of law.We dont have a policy like that where I workWe have regular drug screenings and they only look for illegal drugs in your system.which Nyquil is NOT).God forbid we are not immune to colds and any other disease,most of the time acquired from the students we transport.If they wrote everybody up for taking a medicine that may make them drowsy, wed have nobody to drive our PRECIOUS cargo!!!!!And a DUI?Your fired-personal vehicle or not !!!!
Yes I love my job.Bus drivers have always been given a bad rap.Its the ones that only drive for the money that give the good ones a bad name.My children are VERY well behaved abd treat me with respect.If I have a headache that day I tell them and they talk at a whisper.They respect me.
We also have security cameras_ive only had an instance once where I had to use it(14 yrs ago)Bottom line is my kids know if they dont behave-they dont ride!!!!!PERIOD
And yes safety is my first concern for my students-If I dont think I can drive-I will not.....
I know Mike, Goofy is too good. I don't think anyone here can match up with him.

But you can't blame a lady for trying.... :-)

Funny I never thought of it that way  !!!!!LOL!!!!!!!!! cindy
I thought once you tx and were svr you were done w hep c ,????? What do you mean after 20 yrs you have it back?? What do you mean remission , cancer patients that go 5 yrs are considered clear. This bothers me as Im in TX wk 10. started tx @ stage 0. Tx has not been bad. But why do it if its just gonna come back?
In 1991 they only treated with interferon... it wasn't till 1992 that they finally had fool proof screening for the virus in blood samples... so they probably didn't even do viral loads at the end of tx back then, much less the 6 month follow up that we now do in order to see if we SVR'd. There is no remission of HCV... either you have it or you don't. The OP didn't say anything about being screened any time since 1991 besides this last time, so we can assume that she was infected all this time and just didn't know it.

Unfortunately, one of the bad things about tx is that we don't know if it is going to work or not until that 6 months post tx VL. I'm on week 38, and I know how you feel... I don't want to have gone through all of this just to have it come back either... but there are people that has happened to... sad to say.

Diane
Dear little miss Cindywindy. Im in week 10. I do not get brain fog,(true I forgot what week I was in, but not from fog, I think it was wishfull thinking and the 1 wk, 2wk visits that confused me) everything else I must do I remember and think clearly. My driving is fine durring the day and all my life! yes I backed into a culvert at 4 am on a dirt road that was not lit up and the same color as the field. But it was dark and our roads are not lit, reflected or asphalt with white or yellow lines! And yes I did run over the off duty police mans black nissan. But again it was dark, so was the car and my right passenger wing window was not adjusted properly. So I did not see it. lots of folks our age have trouble driving at dark ( Im under 50). But I do fine when driving in big lit up well maintained roads. Like Boston, Ny, Chicago, La, Dallas and all major interstates.  You obviously have no problem seeing where ever you are @ as the busses here leave when its still dark in the morning. I think you will not have a problem if your sx are like mine. There are so many meds in the world. So is no one going to drive? So is a person on TX not going to be allowed to drive @ all? My girlfriend drove herself to chemo and radation. She did fine (I was a passenger)Id like to point out that if it does not effect you you should be able to do it. And if your not allowed, then no one on tx should be allowed to drive the roads at all. because they could crash into a school bus, a semi, a family or the pope!
Oh Thank You Diane, I was really bothered. Your probally right! good info and insight. Im glad I did'nt through my pills out. LMAO. Whew. I have since been thinking I would be near seventy by then. So I found myself wondering. Does my family even live that long? A few, maybe Ill get lucky. Thanks for educating and saving my mind!! Your brain fog is not that bad you see.  I hope you are still doing well. ginger
yikes
Well said p-nut(oops)I mean blondie.You couldny have said it better!!!The roads here ARE paved and ARE lit up.My neck of the woods is pretty well lit up.I also dont drive but an hour in the morning with students on board  total of 20 minutes, and 2 hrs in the afternoon with my babieson board 30 min with 1 hr break in between.Most of my route as you can see is dead-head time.....Not bad for a part time job.And my students LOVE my cookies !!!! cindy-windy  LOL !!!
I just wanted to say that I didn't mean to make it sound like nobody on tx should drive a school bus. There were already people saying that they didn't think there'd be any problems and I thought it would be best if the OP knew BOTH sides of that coin since she is in the deciding phase right now.

My brain fog comes and goes. Stress seems to make it worse and the kids on the buses here in SC are pretty tough... actually, they have so little control over the kids at the middle school my kids go to that my kids often complain that they couldn't hear their teacher in class, so you know they are bad on the bus.

As has been stated above... nobody has any idea how they are going to react to the drugs beforehand... actually I have no idea how I'm going to react to the drugs tomorrow. The past couple of weeks have been pretty easy on me... but this week has been the pits so far... you just never know.

Diane
Personally, I wouldn't have been able to drive at all on tx. I was weak, brain fogged and debilitated. In bed for all of my treatment.

I actually sold my car, 'cause it would have been throwing money out the window to pay road taxes and insurance for a car standing in the street for a year.

"yes I backed into a culvert at 4 am on a dirt road that was not lit up and the same color as the field. But it was dark and our roads are not lit, reflected or asphalt with white or yellow lines! And yes I did run over the off duty police mans black nissan. But again it was dark, so was the car and my right passenger wing window was not adjusted properly. So I did not see it"

If that off-duty policeman was black, good thing he wasn't standing beside his Nissan. I'm thinking he woulda been a goner.  Then again, he'd be a visible minority so maybe he would have been okay after all.