Hepatitis C Community
I have high levels of B12

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I have high levels of B12

Just received blood tests back, which showed slightly elevated levels of my liver function  (have Hep.C) and a B12 reading of 1300. It was repeated 2 days later and the B12 reading went up to 2100. (normal high is 60)How can that change so much in 2 days?? Ultrasounds show slight scarring for
cirrhosis of the liver, for over 20 years.
Can medicines up the B12 count?? My last B12 check was in the year 2000 and it was normal.
Cloudie
Reading about all the trial of you dear people....I have to confess, I don't know much about my Test results at all.
Just look at my lab work  Here it what is says:
Band Pattern 5-1-1
C100-3      2+
C33C        3+
C22-3       4+
SOD          -

Band Pattern Interceoption:
Pos.   -1+ or greater reactivity to two or more HCV antigens corresponding to antigens encoded by different parts of HCV genome.

Indeterm.  Single 1+ or greater antigen activity or SOD reactivity in addition to any antigen reactivity or reactivity of 1+ or greater to HCV 5-1-1 and C100-3
Neg.  No bands of 1+ or greater antigen reactivity present or antigen reactivity to SOD band alone.

Note: A positive result is indicative of antibodies to HCV

This report is 10 years old, even so I was told I received the Virus in 1983 through blood transfusions.

Now I ask again.....My recent readings of liver functions were just slightly elevated...could that account for my high B12 reading??
Cloudie
Your B-12 is an unrelated issue to your liver disease.  We see elevated B-12's on blood work but usually this is no cause for concern (we are really looking for low B-12 suggestive of a deficiency).  

The report you are reading is a positive Hep C RIBA test (a series of antibodies for Hep C...we dont use this much anymore).  You should really have this officially checked out since it has been some time (10 years!).  Some more labs, perhaps an x-ray and even a biopsy should be considered.  Treatment which works about 50% of the time is available.  Get to your doctor!

It is the Hep C, not the B-12, which is elevating the liver numbers.

Gi.PA

HEY all, just to update you about my long overdue 12 week PCR test (Im on week 15 now), they drew blood last week and the week before, for PCR.  Nurse calls me AGAIN today saying they did the wrong test again, and to go get it redone.  I couldnt freaking believe it!  Then I called to be sure it was faxed in, oh yes got it.  So I go in, and its the fax from the 7th!  So she calls the Nurse and gets the correct lab faxed right away.
They call me back and draw one tube, for a CBC, I asked what about the PCR?  She said this is all he ordered!  I couldnt believe it!  I called her and she said he didnt want the PCR yet...omg. So on and on we go...whether Im 2 log drop or whatever nobody knows!  The nurse refused to give me any of the prior test results, stating they are wrong, it doesnt matter.
OH BS POOH etc.  IM so ANGRY!  Can you guys/gals give me your 2 cents worth??  THankee.  OHC
Hi, OHC,
It's time to go to your primary physician and ask him/her to prescribe the test, then go to a hospital lab to have it drawn.  The results will come back first to the hospital lab, and from them to your pcp, who does not have this stupid history with you.  Geez, this is frustrating and maddening!  
BTW, I would notify my insurance not to pay for the mess-ups, and neither would I.  
Good luck for a quick, good-outcome PCR.
Maj Neni
Do yourself and all of us a big favor and change Dr.s I live in a little bitty state(N.D.) and after a couple tries I found a great G.I.   Good luck & God Bless    Joni
Thanks for your responses, Ive cooled down a bit now, but as far as going back to my primary (as in primate!) doc, he wont go over the Hep Drs head and run any test that should be ordered by him.  But then again, it wont hurt to ask.  I can also put the bug in his ear that I am thinking of chg'ing docs since this one doesnt seem to give a rats patootie about me personally...for instance he gave me a prescription awhile back that had some other patients name on it.  He gave me the lab slip back in early Aug. with the PCR test written on it with instructions to have it drawn Oct 1.  When that one came back "wrong", they mailed a lab slip to me with same thing written on it.  I got that redrawn on the 7th. Today I called to see what the results are and thats when the most recent fiasco unfurled.  I use Sonora Quest Lab.  Other folks have problems much larger than mine, but it is nice to have friends here who understand the frustration associated with trying to heal ourselves in spite of the obstacles that often fall across our paths.   Hugs to you buds,  OHC
Omg for sure. They say this disease teaches us patience.Your living proof! Ohc they've been making mistakes every other time with my blood work and the last guy who took my blood was mean!-"I only get paid to draw blood sir", then he goes and botches it up!I'm disturbed at the incompetence and indifference I see at Quest. I'm planning on switching centers but it isn't so convenient to do so. Just my two cents.
Glad to see you on the board. I don't come on every day, but hadn't seen you in awhile so was concered!
GI PA is not a hep c patient, her name is Erin and she is a physicians assistant with a practice that specializes in HCV tx.  You can stop worrying ;-)
Holy Cow,
I don't believe this. Just when I thought everyone here was beginning to find the right DR's and TX this has to happen to you!!!  You certainly don't deserve this. I'm so sorry for you. I know that when they get it right it will turn out good. My prayers are that they get this right and you come out undetectable. I thought they needed like 6 tubes to do all the PCR and CBC tests? Anyway we are with you and sharing in the frustrations with you.

Love,Peace, and Happiness
Quest...what a joke

They took over (bought out UniLab) which gave perfectly good service...Came in ..fired all the competent staff...and hired trainees...nothing but a complete fiasco...on my last visit...i always ask for a small needle for the draw...and they say we only have one size (railroad spike size)...saving money ...cutting corners...went to different lab ...quick turn around on results

My advice...Find a new lab...without the word Quest in it...
Man are they ever going to ever get your bloodwork done? I am coming up on 12 weeks soon and don't want to do it cause I am on half doses and if it hasn't dropped enough, I'm afraid that I will be so depressed! But YOU! I would be camping on the Dr's doorstep to find out what the heck is going on. This ain't right.
keep me posted.
Howdy,
I noticed on OHC's site you are from OK?  YeHaaaa!! My first PCR went fine out of Tulsa. That was pre TX. I still got 6 more weeks to reach my 12 weeks. Make sure to let us know how yours goes.
I appreciate the answer to my problem. Am waiting for the other lab test, where they again tested my B12 and also my blood protein. If all is well with that, I'll request another test for the HCV. Have had ultrasounds on my liver just last year, and it was unchanged from previous years. Really don't feel bad, but I will follow up, as you suggested. I have been on a good diet, low fat, no salt, no alcohol for 20 years now.
I was told in 1983 I was lucky to have only contracted HCV, because in those days the blood supply was pretty much untested. I received an all night platelet transfusin.
Will keep you informed.
Thanks for listening,
Cloudie :)
Thanks for your two cents worth (worth more than that lol!)
I appreciate it.  The Quest lab is sooo close to us, its nice in that respect.  I just dont know if its the doc or them making the mistakes.  Ya, it does point to the lab, but that doesnt explain why the doc all of a sudden says no PCR needed at this time.     ho hummmmmmm.  hurry up and wait.   I am investigating changing docs.  Calling around and see how long the wait is etc.   Hugs to you sweet caring people!  Auggie/OHC