Hepatitis C Community
I really found a person who is UND with homeopathy.

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hi guys, I just found a person today who is UND now. I didnt believed him but he went home and bring his reports with him. In the reports, he doesn't have Hepatitis C virus. He was patient of Hepatitis C 2 years ago. He went here and there to find the cure and every one told him that there is no cure except interferon and riba. He advised me that i should not take injection of interferon because they have many lifelong side effects etc. He gave me the address of the homeopathic doctor from which he got treatment. According to him, the homeopathic treatment was of six months and during this time perious his antibody level went higher and higher. and then he became UND.
He says that he knows many other persons who became UND with homeopathy treatment of that doctor.
In his reports, i have seen enzime and eliza method in which he was positive for hcv. and then after two years he was UND. He even done PCR RNA and he is UND.
Should i also go for Homeopathic treatment from the same doctor or i should go along with Interferon and Riba.
I am confused, however the information i am giving you is true because i am the witness of his reports.
Please advice,
Thanks,
Naeem
Remember, about 20% of people clear the virus on their OWN. It means he is one of the lucky people who was able to clear the virus with his own immune system, it isn't proof that the homeopathic remedy worked. I'd have to see the DNA test that showed he is clear a year after to believe it was true because viral load can fluctuate also. If people DID permanently clear the virus due to some homeopathic treatment, I am sure it would be big news. Lots of people claim it is true that certain natural remedies clear the virus, but the scientific evidence or proof is never provided. It is true that a percentage of people do clear the virus on their own.
but i thought there was a time perioud of 6 months in which they can clear the virus. after six months, hepatitis c becomes chronic and cannot be cleared itself. In this case he was a patient of hepatitis c since 2 years and then started the treatment and became UND.
Also i have another question,
When  a person becomes undetetectable through Interferon and riba. will he be negative in Elisa and enzime test too? and will his sgpt and sgot will become normal for the remaining life? And finally can he donate blood after becoming negative through Interferon and Riba?
Thanks,
Naeem
Not 100% sure on this, but isn't Elisa an antibody test? If so, he may have been undetectible all along, just exposed to the virus, as antibodies remain even after the virus is gone.

What you would want to see is a before homeopathic treatment positive PCR and an after treatment negative PCR. From what you report, it just seems you've just seen an after treatment negative PCR. Maybe he would give you copies of his tests and you can post results.

That said, I believe a small minority of folks have spontaneous clearing of the virus, however, your friend's statment that "he knows many other persons who became UND with homeopathy treatment of that doctor", makes me think that either the homeopath isn't really curing his patients or that indeed he has a cure no one else seems to be aware of.

Homeopathy aside, you do realize that if you have little or no liver damage that a reasonable option is to wait for newer, kinder drugs.

All the best.

-- Jim
When a person becomes undetetectable through Interferon and riba. will he be negative in Elisa and enzime test too?

He will most probably remain positive on the Elisa for the rest of his life. Are you talking about "enzymes"? Liver enzymes generally normalize after a successful treatment.

And finally can he donate blood after becoming negative through Interferon and Riba?

I don't believe so in the United States.
I was wondering that too. When you complete treatment and achieve SVR are you cured or just undectable for the rest of your life, unless relapse.
I though I read there is no cure for HCV.
But if some one doesnt have virus, what will the antibodies be doing in his blood? doesnt that mean, interferon donot cures the disease 100%. if it is curing 100% then one should be und in antibodies test too. The person i am reffereing is now negative in all tests including PCR, and antibodies.
And Yes i have very low level of liver damage according to my doctor. should i wait for better medicines.
Kindly please give me links to the new medicines which are likely to come in the next year.
Thank you very much,
Naeem
Antibodies just reflect the fact that you were exposed to Hep C at some time in the past. They do not mean you have the virus.

As stated before, you would need a PCR test BEFORE and after the homeopathic treatment in order to make a case that the treatment worked. You only stated your friend had a PCR test AFTER the treatment. The antibody tests do not count.

There are several new drugs in the pipeline. The most promising are a class called Protease Inhibitors. One promising Protease Inhibitor is called Vertex. Vertex is still in trial and no one has been cured with it yet, however preliminary SVR (cure) data hopefully will be available in 2007.

As far as waiting, that'ss a very personal decision with advocates on both sides of the issue. Talk to your doctor -- try and learn as much about the pro's and con's of waiting -- and then come to a decision that seems best for you.

-- Jim
If the case can be made and proven that this doctor has a "cure" for Hep C then you can be sure he would take advantage of that fact since the Hep C market for a solution to this disease is several BILLION dollars a year. I would imagine if he had something that truly worked he would be spreading the word for other sufferers and be a VERY wealthy, famous man.Beware of people making claims without scientific proof. Claiming it doesn't make it true.
That being said, if you have little or no damage and are fearful or not sold on the Interferon/riba treatment, why not try this doctors' remedy and see? You could follow the doctors regimen and if you clear the virus, great! If you don't, you can try the Interferon/riba.
There are risks with ANY form of medications, be it homeopathic or be it not, you should do your own research to know the facts.
If science doesn't exist to prove the claim, be leery. There is Scientific PROOF that Interferon/Riba can clear the virus in at least half of the people that take the treatment.

If anyone has followed my story, I was diagnosed back in 95'. At that time, I was young, and could care less about a Dr telling me I had HCV. In one ear, out the other. All I was told, is that the TREATMENT, was WORSE than the disease. Years later, I had complications with a nose surgery, and landed myself in the ICU with uncontrollable bleeding. It took two corrective surgeries, and an embolism to get it at bay. During this time, I was probed by damn near EVERY DR in the hospital. I was even sent specifically to a hemotologist, and tested for just about every known blood disorder know to man. I told them that I was diagnosed with HCV back in 95', and I was told by my treating Dr's at the time, that I DID NOT HAVE HCV.. I asked if they where positive, and again, I was told that according to my labs, I did not have the virus. I thought I got off easy, and that all the stories of people clearing on their own was true. I thought I was free and clear.
A few years later, just after being married, I was retested during a routine Dr visit. ALT's where only slightly elevated, and when tested for HCV, report stated REACTIVE.. This is when I got serious, as wife is a nurse, and she wanted me treated. Told me I was an investment, and needed me to stick around for awhile!!
At that time, my viral load was 5462 or something.. Dr told me it was a mistake, and that it must be an error. Meanwhile, I started taking supplements again, and eating healthy. I had numerous other labs drawn, in expectation of starting my first tx. Dr still advised at EVERY visit that my initial viral load tests was wrong, and that I should expect a MUCH higher number.
Well, pretx lab work revealed a VL of only 4000, which barely registers. As of yet, no one I have met on the web over the past few years has registered a VL test as low as mine..As Schiff stated, he would have questioned me even being infected, and waited to see if I would clear again on my own. His theory to my level of fibrosis is that my own immune response was so great, that it contributed to the progression of the disease. My body was fighting it, and at one time, may have won. What brought it back, who knows? Possibly the stress, or heavy drinking for years.
Point of my story, is that the immune system is the key to clearing the virus. All tx does is supercharge it, with mega doses of a substance the body produces naturally(interferon).. There is research EVERYWHERE stating the effectiveness of certain substances to stimulate, or supercharge the immune system naturally.  
If anyone has done research on the net, they would know that China and Japan have been combatting HCV with mushrooms and herbs for years. Stating cure rates of about 20-30%..A study out of Sweden, stated cure rates, (SVR), just about 30% with a natural treatment consisting of MistleToe Extract and  a substance found in Green Tomatoes. And right in front of EVERYONES noses, is people all over the web that are taking herbs and keeping the virus at bay. Halting or stopping disease progression, and living healthy active lifestyles. Yet it is soo easily or ignorantly passed by with comments like, "the jury is still out".. Hell, I'm still waiting for the jury to deliberate on whether or not after 48 weeks I obtained a "cure", or just another remission!!

Webprince: Take the herbs man, and monitor your progress closely. If you can avoid taking these meds, do just that!! There is an old saying, "misery loves comapny".. And as you can see, it is EVER so true!! Best of luck to you with WHATEVER you may decide.
You cleared the virus with Interferon and Riba not with homeopathic remedies.
There is nothing wrong with using thsse things, I think it is a good idea to give them a try and see if they work for you but there is no evidence that you can obtain SVR with them. In some people it does seem to keep the virus suppressed but others that take the same things have their viral load go up.
I am not sure what your "misery loves company" comment is suppossed to mean, don't forget MANY of us here are TREATING, the misery comes along with tx. You cleared the virus with tx and now feel fine, don't forget a lot of us are still trying to do just that and we use this support forum during tx to support each other,no one treating needs to be told we are a bunch of people who enjoy being miserable.
Hi Naaem;
           I am not sure I understand your post. You say that during the homeopathic tx your friend's antibodies just kept going higher & higher.

I thought the antibody test was just proof of exposure ( not active virus ) I test positive for Hep B as well as the C, but do not have a viral load with Hep B, just show that I've been exposed.

The PCR Viral load would show active virus >>> like actual numbers, not just positive or negative test. Did he ever show a viral load " prior " to this natural tx??

My guess is that he could have cleared the virus on his own, of course, possibly with the help of these herbal things. I was told that 15-20% of all infected are able clear on their own.

As for the 6 month window of becoming chronically infected for life, not sure about that either. I've heard of others clearing after their so called 6 month period.

Could you possibly post more information on this person >>>> did he actually show an active viral level prior to his tx and what exactly did he do to become undy? Thanks, Sue
My logic is this...If tx is avoidable, do just that.. AVOID IT!! Only 15-20% of people with HCV will progress to ESLD or cirrhosis.. For those that are high stages of fibrosis, the option of whether or not to treat is not always present. Some of us do not have the luxury of waiting, we have to attempt to rid ourselves RIGHT now. Thats why I tx'ed. I was 26, and had stage 3 fibrosis, treatment niave, and told that it was in my BEST interest to give the meds a go round. Dr's still advised me of the ever present risks, and possibility of meds not working. But I had to explore EVERY option. It would be foolish not to. When I questioned about extending my tx, Schiff stated that the risks OUTWEIGH the benefits. That gave me a different perspective and respect for the meds to say the least.
What I suggest, is that members here do a bit more research into supplements before misdirecting and misleading other members as to wheteher or not they work. Help educate them and point them in the proper directions, and allow them the RESPECT of making a personal choice.
The way I undersad what you are saying is you think people should avoid tx and use herbs instead unless they have damaged their livers already and not try to clear the virus with interferon/riba with a healthy liver. There is proof you do have a better shot at clearing the virus with less damage to your liver but you don't think that matters.  What I hear you saying is people with low damage should not tx prior to damage progressing because maybe it won't progress so they should bank on it not happening to them because "many" dont have rapid progression. They have no way of knowing if it will or will not progress and they should depend on herbs or supplements that have no science to assist them in their research on their effects (other than antecdotal evidence) and use them with the goal to be to maintain a low viral load. Viral laod has nothing to do with their level of liver damage. You can have a high viral load and low damage and vica versa, so what good is it doing to keep it low? How does that affect your liver damage level? Do you have some info that shows a correlation between higher viral load and higher liver damage? How about one showing that a low viral load means low liver damage? You said you had a very low viral load yet you had stage 3 damage before the age of thirty, so I don't see the logic.
Until their damage progresses to a critical level, you believe they should figure they will be one of the ones that doesn't develop other extra hepatic problems and that the herbs will keep the viral load low therefore they won't have increased liver damage. Is that what you mean? Will it protect them against getting extra hepatic manifestations? Wi it reduce their increased risk of illness because they have HCV?
There is no info showing that a low viral load keeps your liver damage low. There is lots of info linking Hep C to other diseases including diabetes, thyroid problems, gallbladder problems,and on and on. Just having Hep C, even without ANY symptoms or existing damage, regardless of viral load, puts you at a much higher risk for many illnesses and diseases than someone who does not have this virus, that is a fact. You can heal better with an undamaged liver, therefore your chances of clearing it are better, that is a fact.
I am all for people trying to use whatever remedy that tickles their fancy I just don't want them to take having HCV lightly adn think takig an herba regimen is protecting them because "so far" they don't have severe liver damage or symptoms. There are risks to just being HCV positive.

I am a firm believer in trying to get rid of it no matter what.  If you need to wait a year to get things in order then do treatment so be it.  As soon as my doctor told me the usual options the first thing I replied with is I have to at least try to rid myself of it now verse later.  I know a lot of people in here will have a different view but I can't see why someone would not want to get rid of these nasty vermon asap.  Just knowing I have this floating around in me is enough to make me try my most proven option first and if it doesn't work then see what the next step is.  And as a lot of people in here have said sometimes even if you don't get rid of the virus you can allow some healing to occur with your liver to carry you on to the next treatment.  My view is the sooner the better.  If money is the problem there is help and if I had to I would have taken a loan for the total cost of the meds then declared bankruptcy.
Whatever I have to do to rid myself of this is my only option.  I respect the other opinions too so don't get me wrong.  This is just my opinion.

Take care,

Steve
a simple message to all.........
  If there was a homeopathic cure for hep c every person in this forum would be cured of hep c and may have never had it because it would never had  progressed in the several hundred or thousands of years of its exsistens. People all over the world have tried many homeopathic treatments but none have been anything more than a possible health booster. None have had the ablity to kill the virus. Only Interferon/riba have show the ablity to kill it. People take advantage of the sick and nieve  every day with promises of cures of one thing or another especially in 3rd world countries. Most people with hep c will die of something other hep c. The only reason most even treat is because of a small chance hep c will lead to liver disease.
Wow, is just about all I can say. How you so falseley misinterpretted my post, amazes me. Please, please refrain from putting words or misconceptions im my mouth. Not once did I mention low viral load in correlation with liver damage, or vice versa.. Your response still just amazes me, and confirms that continuation of this topic is unnecessary. As with all the evidence presented about the ill effects of smoking, as well as the topic at hand, you will just so ignorantly turn the cheek and continue on in your false analogies.

What I have stated from the begining, is that tx is NOT for everyone. Members here should not advocate a tx "only" policy, when it does not apply to all. Some have the luxury of waiting, and under the supervision of a Dr and with all the appropriate lab work etc, this is a very "responsible" game plan. Studies, biopsy reports, labwork, and Dr's around the world have confirmed the benefits of herbal supplementation. A healthy lifestyle and diet will prolong the inevitable.
With HCV, yes we would all like to rid ourselves of the virus.. Hell, that was my intentions all along. But recent findings suggest that the virus is still present, still lingering in liver tissue just under the radar....So in fact, none of us are truely, "cured".. Again, I'm just going by recent medical findings and the theories of most of the medical community. But then again, all that is just "ancedotal" as you say..
What all of us can agree on, is that we want to live.. We want to REACT to the virus, and not sit around and allow it to cause harm. We want to halt and stop progression of liver disease, and complications brought on by HCV. I've been on these forums for a few years now, and can tell you that there are ALOT of people that have paid very high prices(health wise) for their SVR.. Many members have severe lasting health concerns and problems directly related to the use of the present combo tx. Thee recent findings of the virus still remaining present even after obtaining SVR, is disturbing to say the least.
Like I said before, as a basic natural instinct, humans want to survive. With HCV present, the goal would be to halt, or slow the progression of the disease. People don't die soley based on the fact of being HCV infectd, but die because of years of inflamation (inflammation) in their livers, resulting in liver disease, cirrhosis, and ESLD. We can live with HCV.. It's the underlying means of destruction that is the problem, thus being the "inflamation (inflammation)"..
So if we want to live, we need to suppress the attacker. Well, for 50% of those infected RIGHT now, that is not an option. Even the current tx protocol does not offer that to those unfortunate 50%.. What option do you recommend for them? Oh yeah, just sit on your butt and wait for the medical community to hand them a "magic" bullet.. The magic injection or pill to rid themselves of this disease forever. Well, this is where that natural survival instinct falls back into place, and people explore other options. This is another great example of where supplemnets come into the picture. For these HCV sufferers that have failed conventioanl tx, and have no other options but to follow that natural instinct of survival, supplements might be the tool to make it the distance.
I guess the article I posted about Liv.52 and cirrhosis patients went in one ear and out the other? These patients had remarkable improvements in liver functions. Also, if your interested, run a google search on Dr. Robert Gish. He is a pioneer in the current combo tx, as well as clinical trials into experimental therapies in developmant right now.. He has done trials on the effectiveness of "alternative" medicine, and recommends a high dose supplemenation regimen for his patients. He has also posted DRASTIC liver function improvements, resulting in the lowering of MELD scores in patients on transplant lists.
But back to my original statement, tx is not for everyone. It is not fair, or respectful, to advise it to every person that posts, when in fact there are alternative options.. For those with early stages of the disease, minimal fibrosis, etc....Supplements are a very REAL option. Why subject your body to uneccessary harm from the convention tx, when supplements can offer you a feesible means of lower ALT's, improving liver functions, and slowing progression of the disease?
Better meds are on the way.. This is fact, not "ancedotal" as you state.. If members are at early stages of the disease, supplements can buy them that time till the new meds are available, and at the same time give them the peace of mind that they are being "proactive", and not just sitting around waiting..
Again, like myself and other members that have used herbal regimens and programs, you have to monitor your progress. As with everything, everyone reacts and responds differebtly. What works for one, might not work for another. But usually the key to that, is finding the correct dosage.. Just as you find with conventional medications.
Please, refrain from directing your false and misleading misconceptions at me.. We all have opinions, and to so disrespectfully undermind anothers with lies and accusations, is not worthy of debate. It would be wise to research before attempting to debate on subjects you are unfamiliar with.

What's all this about homeopathy and HCV? Wake up and smell the coffee enemas folks. This disease is constrained by neither gender nor sexual preference.
http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/article.asp?Feed=PR&Date=20060521&ID=5735830&Symbol=US:VRTXages/40940.html

here is an artical on vx 950. it is a little old maybe as vx950 is now in stage 3 trials. it is hoped it will be on the market in 2-3 years per my dr. and things i read.

if i was stage 1 i would take all the herbs i could and wait and monitor for several tears. some of us have lingering sides which are better than dying but it is not an either / or question.
antibodies are signs the body has fought hepc not that is still there. i have antibodies for hep a,b,and c?

as kalio said if these herbs work let the world know and become a billionaire as well as save thousands of lives.
bobby
if anyone is interested i have a graph used to determine rate of progression. time infected vs liver stage.

http://www.hepnet.com/hepc/uldh99/poynard.html
your statement:
"If anyone has done research on the net, they would know that China and Japan have been combatting HCV with mushrooms and herbs for years. Stating cure rates of about 20-30%..A study out of Sweden, stated cure rates, (SVR), just about 30% with a natural treatment consisting of MistleToe Extract and a substance found in Green Tomatoes. And right in front of EVERYONES noses, is people all over the web that are taking herbs and keeping the virus at bay. Halting or stopping disease progression, and living healthy active lifestyles."

I do't think I misinterpreted your comments.
If you weren't referring to viral load when you said  "keeping the virus at bay" which I took to mean keeping the viral load low,which is what you said these supplements can do,then what were you referring to?
I'm in the treat if you can group.  Kalio's point is correct.  We don't know if or when our liver's will get bad.  There have been studies that show treatment is easier the younger you are and it is best to stop liver damage early.  

There are some people that can't take the standard treatment for other health reasons or if they are a nonresponder.  I can see how they would seek out homeopathic remedies.  Anyone taking herbs/mushrooms/whatever should be monitored by a doctor just like someone on interferon.

I am in a study with a new drug called Valopicitibine (NM283) and interferon.  You should be able to find information with a Google search.  People in this round of the study are starting to finish up their treatments and there will be more information about SVR published in the next few months.
goofydad, do you even know what homeopathy means? It has nothing to do with gender preference.

It's a medical treatment.

Please look it up in a dictionary or on http://www.m-w.com

Again, just completely misinterpretted my post..

"keeping Virus at bay"..   How might I ask does this refer to lowering viral load? As stated before, viral load has NOTHING to do with damage. AS I for one had a barely registerable viral load from the start, yet moderate liver damage.
Keeping the virus at bay, is by lowering ALT's, which in turn will slow the progression of the disease.. I had a drop from 83, to mid 40's on herbs. All liver functions improved, as well overall health. Many other memebers here and on other forums have stated and recorded the same findings. One member in particular, "califia", was able to "keep the virus at bay", for 14 years with supplementation alone. She tried the standard interferon years ago, which left her with a blown thyroid, and ultimately relapsing.. She then went under the medical guidance of a Dr Misha Cohen, and began an extensive herbal regimen. She had routine bioposies, bloodwork, and check ups to monitor progress during this 14 year period. Atfer the first tx, she was a stage 3, bridging fibrosis. Biopsy reports during that 14 year period, suggested that her liver was maintaining a stage 2/3 fibroisis level, slightly improving, not progressing.. This my dear, is responsibly "keeping the virus at bay"..
Other members have taken herbal regimens and gone years without progression of liver disease. Like I stated several times, yet you fail to comprehend, viral load is meaningless. Viral load does not signify disease progression, ALT's do.. ALT's signify ongoing liver damage, and specifically the destruction of healthy liver cells. Now if one can lower these numbers naturally by taking supplements and changing their diet, then in fact, they are "keeping the virus at bay"..
Oh yeah. Forgot. Just show cdm's blood pressure doesn't rise, I did have a slice of pizza tonight. BTW did you catch Goof's homo
pathic post? He sounds a bit confused these days :)

-- Jim
Normal AST/ALT readings are NOT a good measure of liver damage either. People with cirrhoisis can have NORMAL ALT/AST readings! They are cirrhotic yet have normal enzyme readings, so by what measure can you know you are "keeping the virus at bay"? Not by AST/ALT or by viral low counts or by how "good" you feel or by a lack of symptoms.

You can't measure "keeping the virus at bay" by indicators like ALT/AST or by having a low viral load. People who use these alternative things in lieu of "real" treatment should be aware of those facts. The only  measure to know if you are "keeping the virus at bay" is a liver biopsy.

Again, it amazes me how you absorb from my posts ONLY what is relevant to your argument, not the complete picture.
Of course biopsy is the only standard, or more recent tests such as Fibroscan and Fibrosure. I have advocated this since the beginning.
There is a a complete program with using supplements, just as with conventional tx. This being labwork, biopsies, Dr visits, etc.. Just as I have stated NUMEROUS times, yet you FAIL to comprehend..This is how you monitor progress. ALT readings signify whether or not inflamation (inflammation) is present, and whether or not the supplementation regimen is in fact working.
I recommend you go back and reread a few of my posts, as well as the web, before attempting to debate a subject you are greatly lacking knowledge in..  
Snook cleared the virus using Interferon/Riba and remains SVR.
Hey there, I too waited to treat, from 94 until 06, because the old tx REALLY sucked, and I needed my ducks in a row, and like snook pointed out I felt like I had time to wait..Wanted to start in 03, but life happened.  Haven't had a biopsy since 99, BUT both docs felt like my alt and ast were consistently normal, and with the two previous biopsys, felt like I was still at minimal risk for disease progression..
Hi there! youre posts are usually so amusing, I like reading you...anyway, yeah, the point I was trying to make is we all end up making our decisions based on a lot of factors, hopefully, we all come out ahead in this process...
Please spare some time to see the question bellow as i think my previous message is being over sight :).
What are the common life long side effects of the INF treatment?
I already know about the side effects but i want to know about the side effects which were encountered to forum members. like hyperthyroid etc. because I want to compare the chances of more health damages with the treatment and the damages of HCV.
what is hyperthyroid and what happend when some one got it?
Many Many Thanks,
Naeem
As previously discussed, very little or no studies on post treatment side effects, so most of what you will get is anecdotal.

Thyroid problems happen to some and at least one member here blew out her thyroid gland requiring thyroid meds for life. Another member reports lupus-like skin problems along with joint pain. Forseegood, above reports that someone in another discussion group reports " a bad case of fibro and chronic fatigue, intense neuropathy, insomnia". Others have reported cognitive problems including short-term memory and feeling years older. Personally, I've also had the cognitive issues including short-term memory problems but most troublesome are lingering skin issues such as sun sensitivity, rosacea, psoriasis and seb dermatitis which flared on treatment and still remain 4 months after. Another member, close to six months post treatment reports similar skin issues. My nurse practioner, as I mentioned earlier, told me that interferon can damage the kidneys as well. It should also be mentioned that some members report no post treatment issues. The problem is you don't know where you will fall until after you treat. Will you have post treatment problems or won't you. That's why it's important to weigh the risks of treatment with the rewards. It's difficult, especially with few if any studies and only anecdotal data like this go go by.

-- Jim
how does anyone truly know that the herbs and supplements kept the damage from progressing? If the nature of the disease is to progress slowly, then that alone can account for the low damage experienced for 10 or so yrs. There is no way to prove otherwise.
as for the mushroom and tomato treatment curing 20 to 30% of hcv infected...isn't that the same rate as those who spontaneously cleared the virus, without tomato or mushrooms?  
No one can state that supplementation and healthy eating will prevent further damage just like no one can state it won't.
Hi Frinds,
Thanks for giving me valuable information. I can understand that every one has different opinion which is usually based on his own personal experience. However here I got two more questions from the posts here.
I already know about the side effects but i want to know about the side effects which were encountered to forum members. like hyperthyroid etc. because I want to compare the chances of more health damages with the treatment  and the damages of HCV.
BTW what is hyperthyroid and what happend when some one got it?
my english is poor, i hope you people dont mind=).
Thanks,
Naeem
There will always be back and forth about this issue until some better treatments arrive for everybody, and I hope that's sooner than later, now that they are at least in mid-trials and have stirred up a lot of enthusiasm, I hope sooner...

In an earlier post I made to Jim regarding Alinia, it might of gotten buried, I spoke about a guy on another board named Dennis. His own doctor told him maybe to wait for new drugs, (this was a few years ago) because he was in perfect health, very physical and active, good labs and had biopsied out as a 0. Fast forward to a few years off treatment, and the guy unfortunately didn't SVR, and he has a variety of post tx problems including a bad case of fibro and chronic fatigue, intense neuropathy, insomnia, etc etc...this isn't the only case I've ever heard like this...I bet Dennis is re-thinking his original decision...

Now I don't point him out to scare anybody, only to make the point that current treatment does have risks, if you read the drug lit on the flaps of the meds you find that out, I'm not making any big revelatory remark here...

And we all have to weigh those risks/rewards IF WE ARE IN THE LOW BIOPSY GRADES, 0 OR 1.....even if I treated tomorrow (and this might happen) I, personally, am glad I waited till now, cause as crude as they are, they know more about treatment now, (rescue drugs, treatment times, etc) then when I was diagnosed in 01, there are trials happening now for potentially new and better drugs, etc, the whole atmosphere is better now, my opinion....could be a lot better, but it's better then it was...

And yeah, I took a risk waiting, others don't want THAT risk, but youre taking a risk too treating (FOR THE LOW GRADES) (for higher grades I completely understand that you have no other options)...all depends on what risk you wanna take and for what reasons, I respect ALL people on these issues cause it's going to be down to us as individuals - what we want to do under these circumstances....

I trusted the fact that I'm a really healthy liver, not organ liver, but I live healthy...there's no way of knowing just what keeps me in a pretty good place regarding this disease (not the best cause I do have some symptoms) I think it's synergistic, the supplements and a few herbs, the exercising, the eating healthy with lots of veggies and fruits...who knows what's more responsible or if they all work together, whatever, the scientists don't know for sure and I certainly don't...

I do disagree with something I've heard on this thread, that labs don't really count...they count if youre a 1 biopsy...if youre a 1 or 0 biopsy and continue to have good labs, you COULD make a pretty good case that youre hepatitis C isn't completely taking over...of course, this isn't COMPLETELY definitive, but put it this way, having good labs under these circumstances is a whole lot better then having bad labs - under these circumstances...

If you don't know the state of your liver, low alts COULD mean that you have cirrhosis, but that's a different deal and that's by no means definitive either...as we all know, this disease is often all over the place...

To me, everything depends on perspective regarding these issues... if you've done your treatment, and youre SVR and going on with your life and don't have a care regarding this disease, then, perhaps you made the better choice then I did...

If youre not SVR, with a lot of post side effects, maybe you could say I made the better choice, once again, it's all a cr**p shoot whichever way you look at it...

Even if youre argument is that even having done treatment, your liver is healthier because of it, well, my liver isn't that bad off according to my docs, so it's back and forth as usual...I guess my main point is.....do what you feel is the best avenue for you (with a good biopsy grade)..hopefully, you'll be right...
Saw the post and video. Sorry about your niece. The dermotologist in the vid is typical of most. I'm sure he dismissed Morgellon's without even looking at a patient who has it. I've been experimenting with dilutions of Tea Tree Oil for my seb derm and rosacea. It's a natural antiseptic. Maybe she could try it on a small spot and see if it helps. Hope things work out. Not sure which is more frustrating -- skin problems or trying to have a two way conversation with a dermatologist.

-- Jim
just to think about something else for a change, yall remember the niece with the wierd parasites??? Now they think its Morgellons..  http://www.morgellons.org/  CDC does not recognize it, so insurance won't pay for tx.... man, I feel so sorry for her..
you just asked the 65,000 dollar question...too, too many variables for anyone to give you the COMPLETE DEFINITIVE ANSWER...my suggestion would be to keep reading, researching, talking to specialized hep c docs and researchers if you can, get the anectodal from this and other boards, all of it, then try to make your own decision tailored to YOUR own particular circumstances, then just throw the dice with the rest of us, whatever you end up choosing...
Just pulling your chain.

Hope this finds you well and all Aloe Vera'd up. Decided to throw caution to the wind and had one row tekamaki and one row yellowtail/scallion row yesterday. Previously, post tx, stayed away from the rew fish and only had California roll, except for Uni -- not sure if that qualifies as raw fish though :)

-- Jim
Only wish I had a video or better yet a webcam....of Canny Man's face as he was reading the menu of your last post, oh well...
goof, I got it, some people just don't share our other sickness: wicked humor!!

as always, my two cents.  If the guy doesn't have antibodies, he didnt clear the virus, he never had it. Homeopathy would absolutely clear anyone that isn't infected from Hep C.

snookers, sounds like you were a healthy young buck that kept the virus at bay: which I take to mean at a subclinical level which just happened to coincide with a very low viral count.  This would probably have been very similar to a lot of us old farts if they tested us at your age.  BUT most of us got it at your age, and they didn't test for it until 20-30 years later, so the true etiology of the disease will be based on youngsters like you, because they don't have the data from us old hippies.....

been fishing?
Yikes, the only fungi I've ever experienced is on two toes of my right foot, I won't take that Lamisil either (and really, those commercials....they make me sick) I wonder if tea tree oil works on toenail fungus? I don't want to paint nail polish on my toes anymore (the way I used to cover it up) too toxic for me till I clear the hep....(and besides, after that Goof remark, I'm thinking I should save my nail polish for him since he's SVRed)
When I was younger and spending alot of time down in Jamacia, I was very prone to getting different sorts of fungus.
Chev, I have the same splotches you speak of right now. I have it on lower back, and also around my belly button. Doesn't bother me one bit, and I sort of like the leopard look. Kidding, you can barely notice it. But yes, it leaves blotchy white or pale spots even after tanning. Areas infected will not tan. But you know what they told me to use for it? Selson blue!! It got rid of it once, just been to lazy to mess with it now. I was told it is from the sun, and saltwater..
Jim, tea tree oil is amazing stuff. Just about a cure all. Use it 100% strength. Apply it a few times a day, and I would be very dissappointed if it did not help. I have used this stuff for years, and have yet to find a fungus or skin problem it has not gotten rid of.
My son has the "lack of pigment" fungus, can't remember the name, but that no longer surprises me.  Its the same thing you see on african americans with white splotches. You can take medicine internally when it gets bad, or he has been told to use a zinc based shampoo-selsun blue- on it, and lo and behold it clears up until the next time...
yup, thats it!!  thanks for the compliment, have to share a funny.  Yall all know my physical attributes, having described them in intimate detail, just a recap: hairy, I haven't even waxed my lip in a month or more, redrimmed eyes, balding, splotchy, 180 lbs on a 5'6" frame (down from 238).... 50 Years OLD, not young these days!!  So I am in the lumber yard where my 24 yo son works buying material for the pigeon coop. After I got home, my sons calls practically hysterical he's giggling so hard.  Seems some "old geezer"  as he put it that works there after I left said "thats your mom?  man, she's a good lookin woman."  I would have paid $100 to see the look of horror on my sons face!! His buddy that has spent many days at my home just busted out laughing, right in front of the poor guy!!  I got up the next morning, looked at hubby and said "can you believe this inspires lust in anyone??" See polish chicken reference: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Polish/BRKPolish.html

OH, melaleuca I am familiar with. My best friend raises horses (as in spring theres 50 head at her place), and she uses it religiously on wounds.  She had a week old filly that laid down on a brown recluse spider, the hole was big enough to put your fist in, if you had a big fist, on a 200 lb baby.  She filled it every day with stuff, hardly even a scar 6 months later.
Sorry for the confusion niceguy - I was just being silly. I knew homeopathy was a medical treatment. I think it's used to treat  <a href="http://www.rapperdentist.com">over exposure to gold</a>, right?

Forsee: I thought I might butch things up a little by getting BBQ tools painted on the toe nails?

<small>Good thing the Cunning Dental Group treats teeth and not tongues .. could result in an unfortunate name....</small>
And here I went ahead and dropped a bundle on replacing my gold crowns in the back of my mouth....shoulda just went ahead and moved em to the front of my mouth according to these cultural mandates...oh well again...where do you come up with this stuff? Yikes! I can only wonder what qualifies as light reading material vis-a-vis "Le Goofus"