Hepatitis C Community
INF superiority

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

INF superiority

anything out there to show statistical superiority of infergen over
redipen?
Not really.  Some patients (that is to say, some viruses) may respond better to one than the other (and vice versa) but there is now way to predict who they will be.
thanks, i was thinking about rotating the two, the first half one then the other.
i am UND since week 20 so i dont see any real benefit from this strategy.
I believe that statistically they are pretty much identical when it comes to effectiveness against HCV.

There was one study I have seen which indicated the Pegasys remained at a more consistent level in the body between shots, whereas PegIntron spiked following injection and tapered off during the course of the week.  If I recall correctly, the conclusion was that perhaps PegIntron should be used at lower dosage at a twice weekly injection in order to maintain a consistent level during the week.  I believe that the explaination which was given for the difference between the two was the size of their molecular structure.

Perhaps this is why the Albuferon which is using Albumin instead of ethylene glycol to achieve the larger molecular structure which allows for less frequent injections per week during course of treatment.  It seems that studies are showing that this method is demonstrating a similar effectiveness as Pegasys but requires fewer injections (half is the number which comes to mind).

It wasn't too hard to find these studies when I searched, so they should be easy to find if a person desires more information.
Thats pretty much it.  Part of the reason for the increased effectiveness of Pehylated interferons (and, presumably, the albumen based products) is the peak levels of interferon (and it is these levels that largely determine the adverse side effects of any drug) are lower hence patients ability to tolerate the interferon administered in this manner is greater.  Albuferon MAY turn out to be administereable 1 x month, which for many folk, would be a blessing.

Interferon has a direct antiviral effect and it is probably this that results in the minor differences in effectiveness of the various different interferons, including the new "consensus" interferon; some may be slightly better for certain viral subtypes / genotypes, but aas stated there is no way to predict this from the currently available data BEFORE starting therapy.  In any event, the differences are not, yet, dramatic.
be well!
Sonic
Has anyone ask you yet if you truly meant "infergen" vs redipen?  Redipens dispense everything from insulin to interferon.  Infergen is a whole different animal, how can any of us here compare apples to oranges?

Google "infergen" and read the difference, it is severe.

Willow
As I understand it, Infergen is a brandname for the older tx version of non-pegylated interferon, whose patent is now wholly owned by a company looking to provide it as a viable alternative to Peg-IFN.

At any rate, since the question was asked with respect to HCV, I assumed, and perhaps incorrectly, that it was with respect to interferon rather than insulin and for Pegasys vs. PegIntron (which I have often heard refered to as redipen too).  Perhaps my bad, which if so please disregard my previous post since it was addressed to a comparison of the two Peg-Ifn's now used in HCV SOC.
i meant, pegintron versus infergen.
thanks for all the answers.