Hepatitis C Community
Ibuprofen v.s. Acetaminophen (Tylenol)???

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I keep getting this mixed up.

I suffer from neck, shoulder and joint pain that's either atributed to HCV, sports injuries, old age or all the above.

To alleviate pain, what's the most liver friendly pain reliever....Ibuphrofen of Acdetaminophen?

Mike
I was recommended tylonol even before transplant due to low platlet count.  Ibuprofen loweres platlets where tylenol does not.  I was tol that tylenol in moderattion. Not over 4000 mb a day (which I never came near) was ok
I sure wish the drs would decide which is the lesser of two evils,,,,mine said ibuprofen only!
MY DR SAID FOR ME TO TAKE IBUPROFEN
I SEE ALOT OF PEOPLE ON HERE THAT TAKE TYLENOL
Like nygirl, I was told to take Tylenol or Tylenol PM not Ibuprofen and most certainly not Aspirin or other NSAIDS.  But as Tylenol does not help with head and muscle aches, I've taken Ibuprofen during the day to help there.
My doc told me not to take ibuprofen because it changes our body chemistry - however taking tylenol doesn't really help me at all so I have had to sneak a few ibuprofens in (it's either that or demerol at the ER and so I figure...that's a better alternatiave).

What I'm trying to say is - you'll get a 50/50 report on this one probably.
I have not read that Ibuprophen lowers platelets before. Do you happen to have a reference for that info or was it something your doctor said? My doctor has me use ibuprophen and never has mentioned it can lower platelets, since I have low platelets that is a concern. Any info would be appreciated!
When I told my study doctor that I took ibuprofen to alleviate  aches after my 1st shot, he told me that I should take it before my shot and a few hours after my shot to get ahead of any sx...and he didn't make any recommendations one way or the other for OTC pain relievers.  However the PA from the study told me that Tylenol is the recommended pain reliever for those with liver disease as long as no more than 2 grams are consumed within a 24 hour timeframe.  Since Tylenol does nothing for me, I'm sticking with ibuprofen.
Well....thanks for clearing that up!

It sounds like every doc has his own opinion.

Thanks.
I have asked 2 different chemists and my liver specialist about whether Ibuprofen thins blood and they all confirmed that is does.  It does not thin blood as much as aspirin however.  I had a liver biopsy a week ago and was told not to take any Ibuprofen one week before or one week after the biopsy because of bleeding risks.  I have also been told that Tylenol (in Aus known as Paracetamol) is harmful to the liver in doses higher than 2 grams in 24 hours for people with hep c.  I have been advised that on the odd occasion (ie when I get a migraine) to take one Panadeine (which has 500 mg of Paracetamol (Tylenol) and 15 mg of Codeine (which can be addictive).   I now only take 2 panadeine the first day after my injection and the side effects are at there worst.
There was once a small study that showed vioxx (a NSAID) to raise platelets on tx. The assumption was the drug relieved liver inflamation (inflammation), letting the platelets fly through the chunky soup. That's counter to the normal expectations of NSAIDs and platelets. You should be able to google it up if you try....
Thanks so much to all of you for the information you provided.
It prompted me to call the doctor about it. He called last night and said not to worry because the lowering of platelets was "transient" and that I was on too small of a dose (under 1000mg/day) for it to be a problem.

That was a relief! My platelets have actually gone up in spite of the Ibuprophen I take daily, they have nearly doubled on tx from what they were before I began tx.

I am sure dosage has a lot to do with it no matter which you choose, be it tylenol or ibuprophen because all of the cautions I read say under 2000mg a day is fine of either one.
Vioxx was banned in 2004 I thought.