Hepatitis C Community
If hepatitis C RNA negative, are you still contagious?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hello, my girlfriend tested positive for hepatitis C anitbodies, but negatove for the RNA test.

The doctor said that she must have cleared the virus on her own.

My question is, is she still contagious?
Tags: RNA, negative
No, she does not have chronic hepatitis C.  Negative RNA, therefore, no virus to transmit.

Advise she have another RNA test in 6 months to 1 year to confirm again.

If antibody test was indeed positive and not false positive, her immune system fought off the virus but she will probably always test postive for the antibodies only.  She is lucky.
No, she is not contagious.  She can't donate blood because they're extra-cautious about the blood supply but she is not contagious.  If the RNA test is negative, she is not contagious and is lucky, as Trinity said.
ok, but why cant she donate blood if she isnt contagious? is it because there is a chance she is contagious?
The red cross screens blood for the hep C antibody, and anyone who has ever been exposed will test postitve for that antibody, even if they have no viral load.  I doubt they could afford to do viral load testing on every donation, so they err on the side of caution.  
Thanks jd, that's an explanation with much more clarity.
No, she is not contagious and I also second what jd is saying.
and what Trin is saying
Iisnt your body fighting the virus naturally(SVR) the same as fighting the disease with drugs....what about the new studies out now that say the C  can be detected in SVR patients liver ,but still not their blood...my belief is that the virus may always be in your body,but at such low level that to pass it on to another you would have drink thier blood with a slash on your tounge