Hepatitis C Community
Immune system cleared virus, will it ever come back?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I tested positive for HCV years ago. The doctors told me that my immune system cleared the virus. My question is, Can it come back or did my immune systems clear it for good?
I have never heard of this, but if it's true that's great! Have you had a HCV blood test? What kind of doctor is treating you? Best of luck to you.
It can not come back but you can be reinfected.
Yes, there is a percentage of people who do clear the virus, generally not long after being first infected. These people will test positive for hep C antibodies but negative for the virus.
Hepatitis C Antibody  Test

When the hepatitis C virus (HCV or Hep C for short)  enters your body, your immune system releases  chemicals into your bloodstream to help fight off the  Hep C virus. These are called antibodies.  If you have HCV antibodies it means that you have been infected with HCV, but it does not mean that
you have active HCV.  For some people (2 to 4 out of 10) the body’s natural
defenses can get rid of the virus, but for the other 6 to 8 people the body cannot kill off the virus. The most common antibody test used is the Elisa
or EIA test. The HCV Rapid Antibody Test is another test that will detect HCV antibodies. In order to find out if the hepatitis C virus is in your body you will need to have another blood test called a viral load test.

Remember……
✦ Even if you have been infected with hepatitis C, your
body may have been able to get rid of the virus all
on its own. That’s why it’s so important to have a
viral load test.
✦ Having HCV antibodies does not protect you from
becoming re-infected with Hep C.  
✦ Try not to worry too much – it usually takes many
years for the virus to damage the liver.

If you have hepatitis C (HCV or Hep C for short), your doctor will take a lot of blood tests to help manage your health more effectively. One test, called the viral load test, will tell you if you have HCV in your body and how much of the virus is in you. When you have HCV it just doesn’t stay in your liver, but it can also be found in your blood. HCV is very active and makes lots of copies of itself. The viral load test is the ONLY way to measure how much
HCV is inside you.

It Is Important to Remember…
✦ The viral load will tell you if you have the
virus in your body.
✦ The viral load tell you if treatment is working
and how long some people with HCV need
to be treated.  
✦ What the viral load doesn’t tell you is how
much damage is occurring in the liver.

Cheers!
Hector
Sorry meant for  djami.

Hector
Great info!