Hepatitis C Community
In Recovery

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

In Recovery

Good news after 96 weeks on treatment 84 weeks on Interferon pegesys and Riba and 12 wks of Incevek added I am clear of the enemy! Thank you all for your support. I have a few Q's to ask 1, I find that and I know that I am still having problems thinking clearly and I have been off meds for 4 weeks now and know that I have a blank stare on  my face sometimes and others notice this. Will this get better and is there any thing I could do for my cognitive skills I feel that my mind and body are still in shock, any suggestions for this ?
2. I had arthritis before and during treatment and my gout levels where high during treatment and still are it is painful. MY knees and ankles swell I am doing construction and need to work will this go away or is this an a permanent side affect?
3. I am not a big drinker and thank god I haven;t been the last 30yrs because my liver would have been even worst. I was just below stage 3 in liver damage. I have read that the liver will sometimes start to revive it self if time, would an occasional beer or glass of wine 2 glasses one a week hurt?
First of all congratulations on completing tx !

Four weeks is a very short time compared to how long your were taking these strong meds. Give your body time to recoup. It takes about 4 weeks for our blood levels to begin to improve.
Exercise, stretch and continue to drink lots of water.
I'm a little over 6 weeks post eot, after 24 weeks tx, and the last two weeks I've felt much much better but still am not 100%, ( though getting close)

The best thing you can do is eat a good healthy diet, lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. Avoid fatty salty food.  ( the salt is because of the swelling)
I've heard amazing things about black cherry juice for gout.

Your liver regenerates slowly. Alcohol will not help.
It's not that an occasional drink will hurt but when someone begins thinking only a glass or two a week is alright, pretty soon it becomes 3 or 4 or more.
Why did you endure tx ? To help your liver and avoid cirrhosis.
Why would you want to do anything that might harm it ?
Prior to the hep C epidemic, alcohol was the main cause of cirrhosis.

i wouldn't drink for 6 months...96 weeks! that sounds like a record...i did 19 weeks and 23 weeks post still have some brain fog....be careful at work...i forgot to take my hand off a power washer and nailed my kneecap a few weeks ago...not good....compound miter saws...chainsaws ...watch out!! high work...it takes a fraction of a second to get hurt...hope you do real good...billy
Congrats D you beat me I only did 72.  Give your body some time to recover, you were on the meds a long time...and please don't think about drinking yet, what if you did not SVR ( I believe you did but...)

You already know this all in your head, it's best just to remind your heart.  :)
Congrats of being free of this beast!! As the others mentioned I understand one may drink once  SVR is attained.  It is so good to see posts by someone who made it through treatment!!
Thank you all for the support and sound advise as always! I did have a beer this week but I am going to take heed to your to your advise.I am going to talk to Dr about meds he said I could take for gout after my treatment was done and will cut down on salty food. I knew that 96 weeks was a hell of a long time but didn,t realize that no one else here went through that much time. I am now going to try and loose the 20lbs I gained during treatment eating all that fatty food! But the treatment is working Thank God! Thanks ALL!
NYGirl said it right - you have broken the record.  What an amazing person you are!  Talk about perserverence - I'll bet there is not anything you can't do. You must know we are giving you a standing ovation Buddy.  Wow  So proud to have you on our side.  To the moon Diesal or the Presidency?  Ok how about a less complicated life that won't be slept away with a new level of energy and hope.  You so deserve the best.  Your great stamina and hard work are truly inspiring.  Thank you  
Thank you very much for the complements! There was no giving up I am a single dad and my 12 year old daughter needs me. I am currently being treated for very high levels or uric acid that is causing gout in my knees and ankles Dr believes it could be side effects from meds. I am just glad that the meds are working and believe my Dr that I just need to flush my system with new meds colcrys and a lot of water. I hope that I could inspire and believe we all deserve the best! Thank you again for the complements, God bless and stay  well
Congratulations!  Wow, you did treat for a very long time.  It will be so worth it, as Hawk said 4 weeks is not that long.  Give your self a few months and you will feel better.  I finished 3 months ago and feel better than I have in many many years
Best wishes to you
Dee