Hepatitis C Community
Indeterminate

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Indeterminate

you have probably read one of my posts in the past about a 51/2 month indeterminate hcv with 2 neg pcr's. I recently got copies of my blood tests and it was actually 3months so one was indeterminate with a neg pcr and 3 months later it was exactly the same, that was in 1999 and its been consuming me for that long till now, is there anyway that the pcr could not have been sensitive enough to pick up the virus and could it show it self after 3months, as i just got a bio chem blood test done and i noticed that my ferritin is 305, the normal range in australia is 30-500, i googled it and its considered high and is a sign of hcv, also palms are red, i have little veins around my cheeks, these are all signs of hcv, ive never shared needles or anything or put myself in any situation were blood is involved please help me
Threr are no doctors here and no one can diagnose whether or not you have HCV over the internet, the 2 negative PCR's are considered conclusive and there could be many reasons that your ferritin level is at 305 (in normal range of the testing provided) but if you are still worried perhaps you should get tested again to relieve your anxiety over this matter and possibly get an explaination as to your ferritin levels from your doctor.

Have a great day
Why don't you just go and have another PCR done if you're so worried? It's simple and Medicare will pay for it, won't they?
"that was in 1999 and its been consuming me for that long till now,"

It's like hrsepwrguy says, two negative PCRs seem pretty conclusive. Maybe tekelcat is right: just have a recent test done.

It has been 13 years since you had those old tests done. It only means you were negative back then. A lot can happen between then and now. A recent PCR might give you the peace of mind you deserve. Plus, you would have  up-to-date more meaningful results. ♫
yeh but would a pcr done back then be sensitive enough to pick up hcv
"if you are still worried perhaps you should get tested again to relieve your anxiety over this matter"

Have a great day
sorry dude but you didnt answer my question would the pcr have been sensitive enough to pick up hcv back then
I'm sorry but you did not post the parameters of the test you took.

"Why don't you just go and have another PCR done if you're so worried?"

"A recent PCR might give you the peace of mind you deserve."

Seems every response has the same conclusion

Have a great day
thanks horse, i think that im gona bite the bullet and go get it done, sorry for the ball breaking questions. just worried that the result is gona go the other way this time and i have to much to lose but anyway it has to be done..take care dude and thanks
i just got my results, the hcv antibody was negative and the pcr was negative, now how can the hcv antibody go negative when it use to be indeterminate, doesnt the antibody stay indeterminate for life
Indetrminite means just that, it is not a conclusive antbody test, congrats on being HCV free, don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy life

Have a great day
yeh but can the antibody go from indeterm to neg i thought it stay indetrm for life..Thanks for your response anyways hrsepwrguy youve been a good help to me and from what i see everybody else. sorry for the crap questions..
Yes you will have the antibodies for life. But they are just antibodies you dont have the virus your immune system beat it when you did have it.

You are one of the lucky ones.
i dont think you understood the question, i was indeterminate twice with 2 neg pcr's and 14yrs later which is now, im antibody neg and pcr neg, shouldnt the   indeterminate antibody be there for life.
why is the indeterminate antibody gone
You never had antibodies the 2 test you took before were indeterminate meaning inconclusive if you were ever antibody positive you still would be
Don't sweat the small stuff
hrsepwguy i think that you are one of the most knowlegable guys here and i appreciate your answer, time to move on.thank you dude and all the best to you and your health mate..cheers