Hepatitis C Community
Indigent Treatment in St. Louis

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Indigent Treatment in St. Louis

I am a 47 yr. old male and have known of my HCV for eight yrs. I have also been a daily heavy drinker for 30 yrs.
Due to recent symptoms (bloated stomach, gastro upset, confusion, fatigue), I've given up the booze. When I was diagnosed I had insurance but never went for any follow-ups (biopsy). I have no insurance now and don't see getting it in the near future-I'm barely making it. I need treatment. Clinics? Programs to apply for assistance? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
dont really know too much about that but I wish you luck
First of all, the drug companies will provide interferon and ribavirin free of charge if you can't afford them any other way.  As far as blood tests and doctor appointments are concerned, I'm not exactly sure where you can go.  A good teaching hospital is your best bet, as they host most clinical trials - and clinical trials generally provide free care.  In St. Louis, the Washington University School of Medicine is supposed to be top-notch, so if I were in your shoes I'd start there.

Good luck, and be well.
If you can get in a clinical trial those are paid for by the drug companies that sponsor them, you don't pay anything and sometimes you may even get a small payment.  Go to clinicaltrials.gov and run a search, I would think that if they can't help you then maybe they can tell you where to go.  good luck
I'm also in the St.Louis area and know Dr.Bruce Bacon is getting ready to start the REALIZE trial, I think Dec.03.Go to www.clinicaltrials.comHope that helps.Good Luck and let us know what you decide.
Tammy