Hepatitis C Community
Indigestion from Ribaviron?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Indigestion from Ribaviron?

Has anyone had indigestion with this medicine?  I have been having a chest pain, almost a burning and aching with deep breaths.  I saw my general doc today and he said my chest x-ray was normal, my heart and lungs both sounded fine too.  My GI wants to put me on a medicine similar to prilosec, so I'm wondering if indigestion is a "real" side effect?

Thanks!
Oh yeah baby... Get used to it...

LOL!

Everything is a side effect.

For some of us the side effects were a cascading daily merry-go-round...

But don't worry - maybe this GERD will be the only problem you have.

I'm hoping so!!!!

Meki
I found taking my morning dose with a container of yogurt made it easier to stomach.
Hiyas! hey, are you taking the Riba with a fatty food? It improves the absorbtion of it as well as makes a buffer on the old tummy lining...I had to start taking protonix...I've also discovered the similar symptoms I have are lessened when I take a potassium supplement...Maybe this helps? Hang in there! ((((((((((((((((HUGZ)))))))))))))))))~Melinda
I think I was fine on the real peg - second batch they gave me the generic and my tummy has been going down hill the last 2 days. It's pretty pissed off. I broke down and took Mylanta Ultimate strength - cherry of course. Still no relief - I'm dose it with my probiotics in the am and hope for a miricle for both of us.
Mylanta or other antacids (even fiber supplements) should not be taken within 3-4 hours of your ribavirin or you're risking maximum riba absorption. Better to speak to your doctor about an OTC  H-2 Pump like Pepsid AC or better yet, a proton pump inhibitor (PPI)  like Nexium. BTW Pepsid Complete contains an antacid, so best stay with Pepsid AC.

-- Jim
Meant to say that antacids interfere with riba absorption, i.e. you're not getting maxium riba absorption.
Taking my morning riba with a yogurt smoothie helped a lot.  Be very careful about the antacids - you want to get the MOST possible absorption of the riba that you can.  Take it with fatty foods because the riba will BIND to the fat and not be flushed straight out of your system. The riba is CRUCIAL especially in the first 12 weeks.

I took them with breakfast and dinner and it did ease the old tummy problem but just know...IBS is a really big side effect of treatment that nobody ever mentions.  In fact a lot of time when people complain of "liver pain" that is what it is.

Good luck.
Thanks your right - I do try to stay away from those but it was an emergency.
Called my doc and she had me go back on prilosec - one of the many things I had discontinued before tx with my health kick. I took that and inulin and an acidopholus pearl with my morning smootie and yogurt. Feeling a lot better. I have had IBS almost as long as RA but had managed to get rid of it with good eating habits until now - ugh

I have noticed that with this tx real food really triggers the bad tummy (The salmon did it last night) If I live on protien drinks, yogurt and oatmeal I seem to be OK. Oh well guess it could be worse huh - at least trader Joes has the 6 grams of fat yogurt cups.