Hepatitis C Community
Ingesting Marijuana

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Ingesting Marijuana

I have been HCV positive for at least 20 years. I've never had anykind of medical treatment for my condition.  I am a 48 yr old female and in excellent shape because I exercise regularly with weights, run, and do Bikram yoga. I eat vegan and don't drink ANYTHING. I smoke marijuana on a regular basis.  Ususally before a workout.  I am concerned about smoking just because it is harsh on my throat and lungs so I am considering eating it.  I am concerned about my liver so i wonder if it is bad for my liver to eat marijuana?  
works great in spaghetti....you stay stoned longer...
Smoking or eating it will tax the liver. Anything you eat, inhale and even touch goes through the liver.  Not long ago I read about studies done on people that smoked weed and how it was bad for the liver. I'm sure if you google HCV & marijuana you will see the studies. Good luck
According to links provided by NORML (national organization to reform marijuana laws), frequent cannabis use is associated with acceleration of fibrosis. I figure if NORML cautions against cannabis use among the hep C population, it don't look too good.

Some other links  seem to suggest anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer effects though. I wonder if the chemicals used in growing pot might have anything to do with increased fibrosis...although the researchers were likely using pure materials, and not some back alley dealer's moldy closet pot. I'd like to see some research specific to Sativex and hep C, but haven't found any yet.

I remember, eons ago, there was some grass on the market known as "Chemo", the idea being that it was produced by the government to help people get through chemotherapy. After smoking a lot of it though (really harsh), we pretty much concluded that that the stuff the stuff was likely to give you lung cancer, and came by its name that way.