Hepatitis C Community
Interferon Treatment and Depression??

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Interferon Treatment and Depression??

I Have been off my interferon treatment for about a week and a half now.  I had a problem with depression throughout the 6 months of treatment.  I was hoping when I got off the meds the depression would lift.  I am on anti depressants and have been for the whole treatment period.  I am still depressed, does anyone know if it takes a little while after the treatment to get back to normal... whatever normal is...   Thanks for any advice or answers I can get in advance...TimFisk71  
Yes, it takes a while to get back to normal after TX.  In fact, some people here who have recently finished treatment have found their depression to be worse for a while right after treatment is over.  That doesn't hold true for everyone, but it does happen.

I'm sure those with more information will be able to give you more information on this.

For now...I'm very happy for you that you are POST treatment!!  
We had another thread about this just a few weeks ago. That was from a person whose depression actually got worse post treatment. It takes a few months for the drugs to work their way out of your system and during that time it appears that you can have a number of symptoms both old and new. It seems like the only solution is to be patient.

Good luck. Praying for SVR.
The package insert which comes with the IFN states that depression can be an issue up to six months post-tx.