Hepatitis C Community
Interferon side,,,eyes

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Interferon side,,,eyes

I have noticed since week 35 that my eyes aren't as clear.  Always used reading glasses only before tx but now seems like I'm looking through a haze and everything is kinda blurry and its getting harder to see things clearly.  Has anyone else experienced this and did it get better after you stopped your tx?
Yes, it is common and yes it does get better after tx but a check up may be in order. Galen did have problems in this area.

35 weeks! seems like an eternity but your almost there.
I had to stop TX due to immune system crash, infections, heart palipataions.. you name it.  Most of all a really crappy Doc.
I agree. Any changes in your vision should be reported to your doc immediately.  Most likely there will be no problem but it could be serious.  It is possible to have retinal bleeding from tx.  It gave me cataracts in both eyes.
I had blurry vision often on tx. I am off tx 3 months now and I still get it but now it's only for a day at most and very slight. I think after this month it will be gone. I did need an eye scrip change but I think that is only due to age. Yuck! I did see my eye doc a few times while on tx for problems. They all worked out but better safe than sorry. LL
Yes, I can't even read my books anymore. On top of being so fuzzy, it gives me a killer headache. Looks like a trip to the
optomologist is in order.
Here's a small study pointing to the potential for much larger eye concerns via tx than previously reported.

<a href="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15316341">Serious ophthalmic pathology compromising vision in HCV/HIV co-infected patients treated with peginterferon alpha-2b and ribavirin</a>

TnHepGuy

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15316341
I did the peg alpha 2b (not Pegasys) and still have eye troubles, 1 yr after stopping meds. Had great vision, no glasses etc before doing tx.
Now I can't read without glasses, very sensitive to sunlight, small cataracts and right eye is dry 80% of time.
I did 27 of 48 weeks. relapsed 30 days after stopping meds. Had cleared at 12 weeks.  1a
Chosing to not re-tx at this time.
Hey,,,Thanks everyone and yes,,,sounds like something I definitely need to watch closely.  I really didn't want to add another appt. before finishing up but if gets worse,,,I will go.

DHBill,,,Glad to hear everything is slowly getting back to normal for you and wonderful news about you landing another job!
About 4 months into tx my eyes started to change. One morning i noticed this huge floater in my left eye. I have a few little ones that dont really bother me, but, this one is awful. I immediately went to the eye doctor for my regular checkup and he didnt find anything else wrong other than the annoying floater which he said may or may not go away.......but, i would get use to it.........I got new glasses and they seemed to be ok for about a month and then i noticed blurry vision again.....
GI said this may clear up after tx.  The floater is so annoying.....Both eyes get very dry since being on tx......I will do 43/48 Monday......I'm almost through...
I finished up tx about 6 months ago.  48 weeks.  I also experienced visual disturbances during tx.  My eyes were quite sensitive to light. My close up vision was getting worse.  I had only worn reading glasses (1.25 magnification) here and there for the past 5 years. I found I was wearing them all the time even to eat!  Anyway, after tx, the light-sensitivity went right away.  My close up vision has improved significantly but I still wear reading glasses far more frequently than I did before tx.  My distance vision remains very good.  But I have had some sties since tx ended.
I have the vision problems, too.  According to my Dr. though my eye sight is normal for a woman my age (49) but I swear it's gotten so much worse since starting tx.
The dry eye thing is very annoying, and most heating systems aggravate it.  Make suree the air in your home is not too dry; use a humidifyer if you need to, in the winter, to make things more comfortable; it may also help with the dry skin and cracking furniture.  Also, try artificial tears; try the regular brands first, but if they irritate you, try the preservative free kind.  (Tears Free is in reclosable vials, good for about a day each)
I hope the humidifying helps.  Now just be sure to follow the instructions on the humidifier so you don't get molds; they are BAD.  
More along the same line:  use a moisturizing soap (Dove, etc.) or bath gel.  Aveeno skin relief was nice.  Don't shower in too-hot water.  When you get out, just pat your skin, and (if it's at all tending to dry) immediately smear a good moisturizing lotion on, all over.
We used to laugh about how one of the side effects was not being able to get out of the bathroom because we couldn't turn the doorknob... until the lotion sank in.
Good luck, Honey, you're getting close to the finish.  The hug felt great.  Look out, those last 12-15 weeks are very mental.
Maj Neni
Thats It!!!  I bet after reading your post,,,,that is my problem and makes sense.  Lately,,,everything has dried out really bad for me,,,skin,,Nose and throat all dried out,,,I bet it is effecting my eyes also because this has all been going on past 2 weeks,,,all the dryness I mean!  Soooo,,,I'm setting up humidfier and trying the eye drops... ((((hugs))))  I never even thought of that...

I had the dry eyes really bad, especially at night. Sometimes I could barely get my eyes open in the morning.
  I found some moisturizing goo I used right before I went to sleep, that helped some. Talk about blurry vision, though. You didn't want to use too much or you'd still be all blurry the next morning! I also used the preservative free moisturizing drops several times a day.  
  Humidifier is good, too, especially in the winter. It's the only thing I've found that keeps my fingers from cracking open. That and vaseline right after a shower.
Maj Neni made a double post, y'all.  :-)
Did you try baby oil after your shower? It's a little easier to apply than vaseline.  Hope you are doing well!! Joni
I never tried baby oil, once I saw the Vaseline worked I stuck with it. You don't want to wipe the floor with the same towel you dried off with, though.
Hey, Timbo,
you're pretty sharp!  
Like I'm not.
Like I'm not.  
Ooops, I double typed that.  :}
Be good, and if you can't be good, have fun...
Maj Neni
I can picture it. Oh myyyyy.  LOL. Joni
haha You guys are funny!!  And AK,,,,are you serious about smearing vaseline on you because I'm thinking that must be a big gooey mess!! LOL
Serious as a heart attack! Drastic times call for drastic measures. It's not that bad really, you don't have to use a lot, and it really works great. It even cleared up itchy eczema patches on my arms by keeping them moist.
try to order some Ureacin from your pharmacy Or U-lactin.  Urea is the best emollient/moisturizer there is. It stops scaling and itching.
My eyesight got really bad also. Since stopping tx, it has improved. I have an eye dr appt today so I will know if it really is worse. I used Liquid Tears, also. I used the preservative free Genteel brand. They have single dose packs and I now have those all over the place--home, desks, briefcases, car, etc. That has improved significantly also since stopping.
I use the vaseline too. I remembered seeing my mother put it on her eyelids at bedtime and decided to try it. Now I use it everywhere. It's really not as bad as you think it would be. It really helps on the lips.
My eyes are really dry too. I use the artificial tears but they only help for a few minutes.
Can you reclose the vials of Liquid Tears?  That is the feature I liked with Tears Free Naturale; I could use the dropper carefully (not touch the tip to anything) and reclose the vial, so each vial was good for 3-4 aplications over the course of one day.  I tossed them after 24 hours, though.  Came out more economical that some other brand I tried.  I still need them, too.
I'm about 18 months post tx. Still neg! Had type 2b. But my eyes are very bad and seem to still be worsening. Keep up with the eye doc just in case folks.
You guys are right about the vaseline, it was the only relief I got from the skin problems. I melted at the heater then smeared it on my wet skin to help keep the moisture in.
Looking back as far as the head pain which I had every second during tx and for about 3 months after. If I had to do it again I would ask my doc to try migrane (migraine) treatments because Tylenol & vicodin didn't do a darn thing. It was so similar to migranes (migraines)...sensitivity to light, sound & smells along with the pain.
Good luck to all and drink ALL your fluids every day.