Iron Overload / Hep c treatment
I am 51 yrs.Female on week 30 of peg/intron, riba PCR start greater than a million, week 12 475,000, week 24 153,000. My serum iron was 950 at start. Retested result as of today 1020. Negative for hemochromotosis.The iron overload was such a big issue before starting treatment.Iron reduction was indicated.After being neg. for hemo.My gastro said the iron would just go away. I have questioned that my whole treatment.I am 100% compliant to treatment. I took 90 days of chelation rectally, to try and reduce levels on my own. I have been very carefull to limit iron consumption. I believe that the ball was dropped not doing iron reduction before treatment.What is your opinion and do you think we can turn this around, at this stage of treatment.Everything I have researched indicates iron reduction was crucial for the effectiveness of interferon. Thank You,
there was a thread that had some comments on iron, you might want to check this out:
Very HIgh Ferritin / Iron levels possibly unsafe? - dutch_boy: 08/06/2005
Yes I have 1B, Minimal fibrosis, and inflamation.I do have an appointment to see a hepatologist at the Texas Liver Center at University of Texas Health Science Center.Dr. Gene Lesage.
The minimal liver damage is a good sign.

It can buy you time if you re-treat with the Peg's to get  your strength back and iron levels straightened out. It also affords you the option to adopt a watchful-waiting approach.  Better drugs should be here in 3-5 years.

Hopefully you'll get some good direction/options at the University of Texas. Please check back with us and let us know what they say.

-- Jim
Sorry to hear about your situation. Not all iron overloads can be treated. It depends on where in the cell the iron is stored. (inside or outside)..something like that. That can be determined when doing a biospy. Increased iron levels that accompany liver disease differ from iron overload caused by hemochromotisis- which can be treated with phlembotomy.
It does sound like someone dropped the ball and not just with iron overload. It also  appears your medical team let the treatment lag on in spite of your viral counts.

Unless you extend treatment beyond the normal 48 weeks, or switch to a stronger inteferon, the odds of clearing the virus are very much against you. Do you know your genotype and what stage liver damage you have?

I'd get a second opinion a specialist who treats large numbers of Hep C patients.

Iron overload is a factor in predicting success but many treat successfully with high iron levels. That said, if you re-treat they will probably want to reduce your iron levels. Don't know much about "chelation" but I'd stick to something more conventional under the supervision of the doctor that treats your hep c.

-- Jim
Very sorry to read of your situation.  From what I've researched concerning Iron levels and controlling thereof;  Excess Iron levels blocks the beneficial effects of the treatment drugs/  While undergoing treatment for Hepatitis-c one should refrain from injestion of foods containing known high levels of Iron, such as Red Meats and some vegatables such as Spinach.  Also note, excess consumption of Vitamin C will enhance the bodys' ablity to absorb more Iron.  Read that in Doctor Melissa Palmers book.  Me myself, when I ask my GI doctor and show and tell this info he gets wound up and states that he is sick and tired of all these people who think they know what should be the correct/ universal diet while undergoing treatment.  He basically told me to eat what I usually eat, eat what you like to eat, eat it!  Just stay away from supplements.  Hope I dont come off to you as being brash.  I hope I provided you with some vision.  Smile Life Is Good.  Yours,  Paul