Hepatitis C Community
Iron Supplements

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Iron Supplements

I know iron is a no no but could you take an iron supplement if you have Stage 0 when you treat???Seems it would help you from getting too anemic and if theres no liver damage what could it hurt???cindy
Forget this question...Should have read a little more before I asked.....
From what I think I remember reading, iron facilitates the virus to replicate even more.  I'm sure someone here will have a link or something to that effect that they can share this info.  I don't use iron skillets for a reason, wish I could remember more why iron is a no no.  
why would my doc tell me to take iron supplements while on treatment if that causes the virus to replicate more?
I  dont think I can make it with no more oven baked cornbread in an iron skillett!!!Im in trouble now!!!!!
Where R U WILL ??????
From what I've read iron is to be avoided during trt since it enhances virus replication in the liver, is difficult for the liver to process and diminishes the effect of interferon.  

Maybe some of the more knowledgeble members can go into more detail to explain further or provide better references.

A search for iron on MedHelp will produce a ton of responses such as this:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/Iron/show/92479 .

http://www.liverdisease.com/minerals_hepatitis.html

Excessive iron in the body of a liver patient can be extremely dangerous.  In extreme excess, iron is toxic to the liver, and can lead to cirrhosis, liver failure and liver cancer. Furthermore, there is growing evidence that even mildly increased (or sometimes even normal amounts of iron) may cause or enhance the amount of injury to the liver in the presence of other liver diseases.  This applies especially to people with alcoholic liver disease and chronic hepatitis C.   In fact, iron overload is commonly seen in  patients with alcoholic liver disease and chronic hepatitis C, and has been found to worsen prognosis, and to decrease the responsiveness to treatment. Liver scarring and liver cell damage are directly related to the iron content of the liver cell.  Since a person’s body is unable to eliminate an overabundance of iron , neither iron supplements nor vitamins containing iron should be included in the diet of a person with liver disease, unless it has been determined that there is an iron deficiency.

Thx  I knew youd find me !!!Anything in the labs that would tell you if your iron is high? cindy
Hey Cin

http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/serum-iron/tab/test

Serum iron and a total iron-binding capacity (TIBC), or sometimes a UIBC (unsaturated iron-binding capacity) or transferrin test, are ordered together, and a transferrin saturation calculated to determine how much iron is being carried in the blood. A ferritin test may also be ordered to evaluate a person's current iron stores.

These tests are used together to detect and help diagnose iron deficiency or iron overload. In people with anemia, these tests can help determine whether the condition is due to iron deficiency or another cause, such as chronic illness. Iron tests are also ordered if a doctor suspects that a person has iron poisoning and to screen for hereditary hemochromatosis, an inherited condition associated with excessive iron storage.

Ferritin
A ferritin blood test checks the amount of ferritin in the blood. Ferritin is a protein in the body that binds to iron; most of the iron stored in the body is bound to ferritin. Ferritin is found in the liver , spleen , skeletal muscles, and bone marrow. Only a small amount of ferritin is found in the blood. The amount of ferritin in the blood shows how much iron is stored in your body.