Iron for Hepatitis C patient
Is iron permissible for hepatitis C patient?
what do you mean?
Unless you are on treatment and the doc has advised iron for some medical reason, it is best to avoid iron supplements in hep c, as the virus may may you store too much iron. And too much iron causes extra stress on the liver. I found out that I had hep c after being diagnosed with Porphyria Cutanea Tarda, which was caused by iron overload.
In regards to that question neither doctor would have any idea about whether iron supplementation should be given without running a full "iron panel"
Total iron
TIBC
Iron saturation
and most important
Ferritin  (Iron storage levels)

Very often patients with HCV have higher iron storage levels and supplementing iron to these individuals could be dangerous ,however if the complete iron picture is below "normal " levels and ferritin in particular is not elevated ,supplementing is not usually dangerous as long as well monitored..

As far as "excessive iron ,especially for those with HCV:

/www.liverdisease.com/minerals_hepatitis.html

Excessive iron in the body of a liver patient can be extremely dangerous.  In extreme excess, iron is toxic to the liver, and can lead to cirrhosis, liver failure and liver cancer. Furthermore, there is growing evidence that even mildly increased (or sometimes even normal amounts of iron) may cause or enhance the amount of injury to the liver in the presence of other liver diseases.  This applies especially to people with alcoholic liver disease and chronic hepatitis C.   In fact, iron overload is commonly seen in  patients with alcoholic liver disease and chronic hepatitis C, and has been found to worsen prognosis, and to decrease the responsiveness to treatment. Liver scarring and liver cell damage are directly related to the iron content of the liver cell.  Since a person’s body is unable to eliminate an overabundance of iron , neither iron supplements nor vitamins containing iron should be included in the diet of a person with liver disease, unless it has been determined that there is an iron deficiency.

best....

Will

you seem knowlegable with yr responses so my question since you seem very knowledgable is my biopsy is not back and i do know its been at least 20 years since exposure.i am 39 my liver enzymes have been in the perfect mark-range BUT when i called before biopsy med.assistant said "elevated iron-hemochomotosis-----then beside this-- autoimmune hep.will this just be a series of phelbotomies?i am goin in for follow-up on 22nd.
Thank you for your comment.
I have done some research about AIH over the years and in its. simplest terms AIH is a generalized way of stating you have "inflammation of the liver.  
The immune system works in tandem to basically heal the liver from inflammation (from whatever  the cause) and thus can cause scarring  ( leading to possible chirrosis if left untreated)

I believe I saw from some of your earlier posts you also have been diagnosed with HCV and  like some with HCV  your iron storage levels are elevated(hemochromatosis) and yes a knowledgeable physician may suggest phlebotomies (depending on the levels)

Given the  multiple conditions you have I would hope that you are under the care of a knowlegable hepatologist or are being referred to one.

The biopsy is going to tell them how much liver damage(fibrosis) has occued dure to the conditions and further advice on treatments for such.

There are a number of sites I have found to be helpful on AIH,however  in easy to read jargon I always liked this one personally the best.

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/autoimmune-hepatitis

Good luck... and our site here is excellent for support  and many are very knowlegable about HCV and  therapies for such ,however again...with the multiple conditions advice from a knowledgeable Hepa is crucial

Best..

Will
I think the Mayo clinic has an excellent discussion and explanation of Autoimmune Hepatitis and you may wish to read their article for a very clear discussion of Autoimmune Hepatitis.

" Autoimmune hepatitis is inflammation in your liver that occurs when your body's immune system attacks your liver. Although the cause of autoimmune hepatitis isn't entirely clear, some diseases, toxins and drugs may trigger autoimmune hepatitis in susceptible people, especially women.

Untreated autoimmune hepatitis can lead to scarring of the liver (cirrhosis) and eventually to liver failure. When diagnosed and treated early, however, autoimmune hepatitis often can be controlled with drugs that suppress the immune system. "

The article continues with information concerning, symptoms, causes, risk factors, complications, diagnoses, treatment.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/autoimmune-hepatitis/DS00676