Hepatitis C Community
Is Elevated HDL/LDL and Triglycerides Normal on Tx?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

My chlorestorol and triglyceride and gone up 100 points since I started TX. I'm usually right at the upper limit of normal on all of it.

I can only attribute it to the drugs, as my diet hasn't really changed in years. My exercise level is much less strenuous. Any others have this issue? I'm not really that concerned as long as it's not permanent.

RBW
It is common to see changes with different things controlled by the liver. I wouldn't worry about it. My lipids actually got better during tx. Everyone is so different with the treatment
Can't comment on the state of permanence, but my husband developed high triglycerides about 6 months into treatment, his numbers jumping from the low 100s to between 300-400.  His hep team started him on omega-3 fish oil, and levels have subsequently come back down into the 100's ranges again.  On the flip side, his cholesterol (LDL & HDL) took a dive, cholesterol dropping from the high 100s to the 70s, and docs reduced his statin dose in response.  I don't know if there's consistent any pattern or the frequency of occurrence, but it does seem that tx can impact some individual's cholesterol and lipid profiles. Hope that helps.
~eureka
wow, the tx does seem to be all over the map when it comes to sx's.  My cholesterol was about 60, triglycerides very low also.  Post tx my cholesterol shot right back up to 200.

stacie
and here we go with yet another study.....
According to this higher LDL pre tx can improve response.

http://natap.org/2006/HCV/080806_02.htm

Anyway , I am watching my lipids on tx as well as other stuff.
I think it is a good idea to watch your basic profile and do something early on
if you spot a trend in the wrong direction.
My LDL went up slightly ( too much butter,full fat yogurt ect. with Riba)
and my HDL down a little ( because of a more sedatary lifestyle @ wk36)
I will cut some fat and increase exercise again.

From what I understand it is the ratio between tryglycerides and HDL that tells you
if there is a problem or not
I think it's more a ratio of HDL to LDL.  Triglycerides stand on their own as an indicator of heart health - lower the better.  

"Cholesterol/HDL Ratio
The total cholesterol to HDL ratio is determined by dividing the total cholesterol by the HDL cholesterol. For most people, the goal is to keep this ratio below 5:1, with the ideal being below 3.5:1. It should be noted that research scientists and doctors are divided on the effectiveness of using cholesterol ratios (including the total cholesterol/HDL ratio) to predict the chances of developing heart disease."  
http://www.yourmedicaldetective.com/public/523.cfm

The published evidence is quite clear in documenting that the actual total cholesterol level itself is not the most important risk factor of cardiovascular disease.

It is the ratio between the level of HDL-"good" cholesterol and total cholesterol that we need to be concerned about.

Therefore, in adults, the HDL-"good" cholesterol/total cholesterol ratio should be higher than 0.24 (just divide your HDL level by your cholesterol).

Or more precisely, the HDL/total cholesterol ratio:

0.24 or higher is considered ideal

under 0.24 - low

less than 0.10 - very dangerous.

Generally speaking, the higher the ratio, the better (the lower your risk of a heart attack).

However, HDL is closely related to triglycerides.

It appears common for people with high triglycerides to have low HDL's, and these same people also tend to have high levels of clotting factors in their blood stream, which is unhealthy in protecting against heart disease.

Therefore, in adults, the triglyceride/HDL-"good" cholesterol ratio should be below 2 (just divide your triglycerides level by your HDL).

Or more precisely, the triglyceride/HDL ratio:

2 or less is considered ideal

4 - high

6 - much too high

And, since HDL (high density lipoprotein) is protective against heart disease, the lower the ratio, the better.

In other words, the lower your triglycerides, or the higher your HDL, the smaller this ratio becomes.

It is now believed that the triglycerides/HDL ratio is one of the most potent predictors of heart disease.

I am in total agreement with you - if my post read differently somehow, well still on my first cup of coffee.  This is interesting though as I'll have my own cholesterol (HDL 99, ration 2:1, triglycerides 45) rechecked to see if tx. has made changes.
HDL 99 ? that`s excellent !
Do you excersise ?
Yeah, I'm usually fairly active - like to play a bunch.  With winter here I do some weights 4x's a wk and cardio 2x's, although recently there have been some weeks where I've only felt up to putting 4 workouts a week in.  Also, I'm a huge believer in olive oil, and doctors says that I have "good genes."  My husband's cholesterol has to be monitored and we have him on niacin.  He does really well when he exercises regularly, takes phytosterols before eating eggs (yes, eggs are not the devil) or other high cholesterol foods, and maintains his niacin regimen.
Thanks for the input all. I definitely consider this a temp condition, since my readings, including ratios, are always in the good range. I do have eggs for breakfast almost every day, but I've done so all my life.

I imagine they'll stabilize once I'm finished.
HCV Clearance Increased Lipids/HCV Infection Lowers Lipids

Hepatitis C virus infection and its clearance alter circulating ...

"We demonstrate that, when compared to age matched uninfected controls, patients with chronic hepatitis C infection have lower cholesterol and LDL levels. we observed that the clearance of hepatitis C, in this case by curative treatment, is associated with elevated LDL and cholesterol levels."

In this study published in Hepatology 2009, Ray Chung found what I experienced unlike what the paper published in Gut below found, Chung reported while HCV+ paients had low lipids that increased after HCV clearance requiring anti-lipid lowering therapy, This Is What I personally experienced!!! Not what the paper in Gut found.

First, HCV infection is associated with lowering of host lipids, providing further evidence of an important interaction betweenHCV and host lipids, ... www.natap.org/2009/HCV/100409_03.htm

"In the retrospective cohort, patients in the Treated Hepatitis C Group who achieved viral clearance had increased LDL and cholesterol from baseline compared to patients without viral clearance. These results persisted when adjusted for age, sex, and genotype. 13% of patients with viral clearance had increased LDL and 33% experienced increases in cholesterol to levels warranting lipid lowering therapy. Conclusion: Hepatitis C is associated with decreased cholesterol and LDL levels. This hypolipidemia resolves with successful hepatitis C treatment but persists in nonresponders. A significant portion of successfully treated patients experience LDL and cholesterol rebound to levels associated with increased coronary disease risk. Lipids should be carefully monitored in persons receiving antiviral therapy. "

http://www.natap.org/2010/HCV/080610_01.htm