Is HIV worse then HCV?
I'm just wondering which disease is generally less desirable.
Oh hell yes!  
Well thats a very disturbing thing for me because my cousin who is about 27 was recently diagnosed with HIV. His mother is HCV+ and has been for about 2 years now. I would really hate to see my cousins mother barrying her own child. Its very unfortunate for both of them but I think it would have been better if it was the other way around.
Your logic is faulty. With current treatments, no one has to die from either HIV or HCV these days. In fact, both your cousin and mother can potentially live long, productive and healthy lives.
That may be true if you have HCV but I think HIV is pretty hard to control. I've known several people who were HIV+ and all of them were dead with in 10 years. I just hope new treatments and medication are available in the next 5 years for HIV because as of now it seems like its basically a death sentence.
The latest word on HIV is that people diagnosed with HIV today live on average another 24 years. And actually those who are co-infected are dying from their hep C before the HIV. So neither is good and depends on many factors.

Susie
Well now that I have done a little research on both diseases it seems like HCV is usually a benign virus (70% of infected). That doesn't seem to be the case for HIV. I also came across a couple pages on HIV and HCV co-infection and HIV causes HCV to progress more rapidly making it the cause of death in the co-infected.
HCV is not a benign virus for the majority of its reciepents. Causes fibrosis, leading to cirrhosis,which leads to liver cancer if the virus is not tx'd and irradicated.  I see alot of people in my profession who are not aware the have the virus until damage is done.This virus is dangerous, most people that have it are asymptomatic until damage is already done.  There are some, few and far between, where the virus lies dormat, but for most of us infected it is to say the least not benign.  
I don't think its that accurate to say one disease is "worse" than another, no-matter what it is. Someone could get a face disfigurment, a skin problem, and commit suicide. While that disease may not seem that "worse" than HIV or HCV, for that individual, it was the worst thing possible. What matters is how the individual reacts to and deals with the disease, not what the disease is itself.
A transplant surgeon told me a couple of years ago that he was excited about the PIs. He said they will make HCV like HIV. I shyly looked up and asked: "And that's a good thing?" He replied -"Have you seen Magic Johnson lately - does he look healthy to you?"
This is a man who transplants HCV patients constantly so he has a slightly unique perspective. All that having been said - I will stick with HCV - but maybe that stems from the axiom "better the devil you know than the one you don't"
Mike
Your information makes it seem simple to answer your question. It's not. I think Mikesimon's doctor came the closest to answering your question. Hep C is the number one reason for liver transplant in the USA today. It is not benign for that group of patients. It is not benign for those 20% of cirrhotic patients whose quality of life may be fairly stinky even though they are well compensated like myself. It is not benign for those 1-4% per year of cirrhotic patients who develop hepatocellular carcinoma. And while HCV can make HIV progress more qucikly in those co-infected patients who do NOT treat, there is excellent information that more co-infected patients are dying from their HCV rather than their AIDS.
This is from a Roche website:

"CDC estimates the number of hepatitis C-related deaths could increase to 38,000 annually by the year 2010, surpassing annual HIV/AIDS deaths."