Hepatitis C Community
Is coffee good or bad with hep c?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Is coffee good or bad with hep c?

Have not started tx yet , is coffee good or bad for liver ?
Recent findings let to believe that moderate coffee consumption can be beneficial. There have been lots of posts on coffee check the archives.
BTW , not all is either good or bad , things can also be indifferent.
studies have shown coffee is beneficial for the liver and other things. during treatment caffeine may dehydrate you along with treatment drugs so make sure to supplement with extra water.
  Coffee in moderation is not bad. Some of the things we put in the coffee like artificial sweetner,  sugar and fake cream are not so good.      If your liver is in good shape. I think small amounts of these will do no harm
"Advanced hepatitis C patients with chronic liver disease may benefit from drinking coffee during treatment, according to a new study in Gastroenterology, the official journal of the American Gastroenterological Association (AGA) Institute. Patients who received peginterferon plus ribavirin treatment and who drank three or more cups of coffee per day were two times more likely to respond to treatment than non-drinkers."

http://www.gastro.org/news/articles/2011/06/07/coffee-drinking-improves-hepatitis-c-treatment-response

Coffee Could Stall Liver Disease Progression
Drinking three or more cups of coffee daily lowers the risk of liver disease progression for patients with chronic hepatitis C, researchers say.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Gastroenterology/GeneralHepatology/16539

AASLD 2008: High Coffee Consumption May Slow Hepatitis C Progression
November 6, 2008 (San Francisco, California) — Increased coffee consumption may slow the progression of liver damage caused by hepatitis C virus infection, researchers reported in a poster here at The Liver Meeting 2008: 59th Annual Meeting of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD). Patients who self-reported drinking 3 or more cups of coffee per day were less likely to have liver disease progression than those who drank less coffee daily.

http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/583121?sssdmh=dm1.401790&src=nldne

Coffee Appears to Lessen Liver Cancer Risk
August 14, 2007 — A new meta-analysis suggests that drinking coffee may reduce the risk for hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). But the authors are quick to point out they have not identified a cause-and-effect relationship. "The interpretation of this association remains unclear, and the consequent inference of causality and worldwide public health implications remains open to discussion," they report in the August issue of Hepatology.

http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/561366?sssdmh=dm1.293968&src=nldne

I am guessing that means black coffee
From:  AASLD 2008: High Coffee Consumption May Slow Hepatitis C Progression

".......The questionnaire did not ask about the strength of the coffee, what people put in their coffee, or whether people drank caffeinated or decaffeinated coffee, Freedman said. About 85% of coffee consumed nationally is caffeinated. Freedman said that hypotheses about what part of coffee is beneficial to the liver are "pretty speculative" although "maybe the best data is for caffeine." Of the 1000-plus compounds in coffee, several of them may be influencing liver disease, he said...."

wow - thanks for that question - I actually got up today thinking of posting it.  Were in sync!

GOOD LUCK with tx.

Millie
Yes, coffee is good as mentioned in the above posts.
It'd be interesting to find out what exactly in the coffee benefits the liver.
You know how the saying goes" Great minds think alike " , I love my coffee look forward toit every morning at 5:30 and when I come home from work .I switch between coffee and Jasmine green tea or lemon tea, and many others .
I found out in Sept 2011 that I've had hep c for over 30 years. I've been a heavy drinker, smoker, and have always ate unhealthy until I was diagnosed. My biopsy a few weeks ago said grade 1 stage 0. I was shocked.
I say this all to say I have drank over a pot of black coffee (nothing added) for longer than I have had this disease. It would probably be as hard for me to quit coffee as it was to quit smoking (over 10 years smoke free!).
Jack
I was reading your post about the tea an coffee does it work  along with watter . I have a problem drinking just water but some how if I need it I will do it . But would make it easier to be able to have  something else.
Thanks for any advice you have used or think has helped u.
I
I get my first shot this even after I pick it up at drug store. God Bless us all
Hep C changes our lives.
What is your 'problem' with drinking just water?
My guess is it's a mental thing.
We are creatures of habit. Habits can be changed.

There is no way I'd ever drink as much water as I am now.
I tell myself, I want the treatment to work, I don't want any damage to my kidneys, and I guzzle water all day long.
I'll be glad when tx is over, and it won't be needed anymore.

Do what it takes but drink lots of fluids and that includes water.
If putting a cut lemon in it helps you get it down, do it. Add some mint leaves or whatever just drink lots of it.
No way around this one if you care about your healthy.
I agree with orphnedhawk, you must drink and drink gallons of water it is a requirement and a very important one , my question was a general question about coffee and the liver , I do not think I would drink as much as I do now not being on tx , if and when I do start the water will be my priority.Besides that coffee is good for the liver.