Hepatitis C Community
Is it True - Telaprevir Possible 48 Weeks?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I was told the other day that Telaprevir is a 24 week regimen ONLY for patients that RVR. Is this true? Can one taking the new PI's have to go through 48 weeks of treatment anyhow?

This would be a significant factor for me at this point if true in deciding whether to continue in my current study or not. Actually, it's the main one. If I have similar odds now, or with tela in the summer - well, you see the point. 24 weeks would be the only strong motivator I have to quit since I now know on my current trial I'm definitely in for 48 weeks.
As far as I my tx brain remembers that is correct
With new direct antivirals it is all about starting of with a very steep decline
and than finish it of with SOC. Less steep decline (no RVR) longer SOC to follow
(48wks)
I am not sure if the protocol is fully established yet. It seems that for tx naive patients it has been 12 weeks soc and telaprevir, then 12 more weeks just soc.

For relapsers and non responders I have heard talk of 48 weeks which I imagine would be 12 of triple therapy and 36 weeks of soc, not sure on that one though.

I think I misread your question before I jumped in with an answer. Somebody more knowledgeable will chime in I'm sure.
Dave.
Well, this all came up as I was explaining to my study doc my dilemma between 48 weeks now, or stop and do 24 weeks later. That's when he told me "You know, 24 weeks of treatment is not a guarantee with the new drugs. That's only for people who have a 4 week response, or RVR".

He did indicate that the standards were still being debated, but for the most part, decided. Just want to make sure his information is accurate.

With boceprevir 8 weeks is the new rvr. Perhaps this is because of the 4 week lead in with soc only. If und at 8 weeks tx is 28 weeks, if und between 8-12 weeks tx is 48 weeks. I am unsure about telaprevir.
If I didn't RVR I would certainly want to make sure I got there to UND/SVR no matter what I had to do.  That is why I did 72 weeks.

it's all about end game especially if you are lucky enough not to have major sides as in your case.........in any event there is no guarantee no matter what you did it's all about raising the odds as much as you can.
Exactly my sentiments Deb.

Just have to keep reminding ourselves this is not like some other things in medicine - I mean, if you have a headache, you take an aspirin, and you don't think about it anymore. It's just cured.
Wise words Deb. Personally I wanted to treat for 48 weeks in my trial regardless of how early I became und for exactly the reasons you mentioned.
i hope it's 24 weeks for me if i get to tx...seems awful tough for me to afford any more time and money into it...if money wasn't a factor i would have tx 5 years ago for the 48 weeks or what ever..good luck...billy
If you are currently involved in a study, you should finish it unless you are physically unable. It is important to the Hep C community at large that those who enter these trials, do their utmost to finish them. If the study participants just leave the study's for no good reason, it will increase the cost of bring new drugs to market. It also muddles the study statistics and could even increase the length of time to get the new drugs to market.
I didn't join the study for altruistic reasons, but I can appreciate your concerns.

I joined to get rid of my disease in a manner I can afford. If that helps someone else, that's an extra benefit - but I would leave the study in a moment if I felt I had better options for getting rid of my disease. Or for any other reason that I felt wasn't absolutely in my best interest.

LOL, I do mean leave IN A HEARTBEAT.
Can one taking the new PI's have to go through 48 weeks of treatment anyhow?

There's a member of the forum who was in a telaprevir study who actually did receive the tela, and still had to tx for 48 weeks.  She is SVR.  Maybe she'll chime in?

Lapis