Is it ok to take something like tylenol for flu like symptoms
Is it ok to take something like tylenol for the flu like symptoms. Does that interfere with the treatment?
Don't take tylenol, my doc allows me max 500 mg per day of ibprofen.
You will need to discuss over the counter pain meds with your doctor. I’m going to disagree with pcds, by the way. over the years, I’ve found that most knowledgeable hepatologist/GI doctors will recommend Tylenol (acetaminophen) over other NSAID’s for minor pain relief. While acetaminophen is certainly hepatotoxic at large does, there is no evidence that it accumulates in the body; taken at recommended doses, it’s generally thought not only to be safe but preferable to NSAIDS. Drugs like ibuprofen can affect coagulopathy; something that might already be affected with liver disease, particularly later cirrhosis. Here’s a blurb I pulled from HCVadvocate:

Jorge L. Herrera M.D.
Division of Gastroenterology
University of South Alabama College of Medicine
Mobile AL

http://www.hcvadvocate.org/hcsp/articles/Herrera.html

“Acetaminophen use: Contrary to popular belief, acetaminophen (the active ingredient in Tylenol®) is perfectly safe for patients with cirrhosis as long as it is used cautiously. Any person who drinks alcohol regularly should not consume any acetaminophen. For patients with early cirrhosis (CPT class A or B), the use of acetaminophen is safe as long as the recommended dose is not exceeded (1,000 mg per dose, repeated no more often than every 6 hours). Patients with more advanced cirrhosis should take only ½ of the recommended dose. In fact, for patients with cirrhosis, acetaminophen, when used as described, is the preferred medication for the treatment of pain.”

The bottom line is that you should discuss this issue with your doctor—

--Bill
I started with a nurse practionier who said I should take tylenol for flu like symptoms.  I had only one episode of that day 2.  My doc suggested ibuprofen for bone pain related to my neupogin tx.  You are certainly the more knowledgeable one here.  I'm really a newbie.
I think it’s really important to listen to the advice of our local doctors. They have the charts and are able to advise based on individual need; for many of us, ibuprofen would probably be fine. Acetaminophen *is* really bad for us in large doses, too. Sigh; we just shouldn’t get aches and pains :).

--Bill
My nurse said Tylenol but not more than 2000 mg per twenty-four hours.

Some people's docs have said Ibuprofen is fine, too, but my sense is that the vast majority of members here have been advised to stick with Tylenol up to two thousand mg per day.

I found I didn't take them much even when I needed them because I kept waiting for a more urgent reason to use up my quota of 2000 and somehow would struggle through without actually using them. Kept waiting for a more unbearable moment.