Hepatitis C Community
Is it possible for pet parrots to get Hepatitis C?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I have a dear friend whos husband has hepatitis C. I feel terrible for them and am trying to be as supportive and understanding as I can. When my friends visit they very much enjoy handling my macaws, (very large parrot.) Is it possible for a parrot to pickup hepatitis C through contact with an infected persons saliva? They tend to go for a persons mouth out of curiosity. I love these people but I love my parrots too and just want to keep them safe.

Hyacinths
Try googling parrots + hep c....... ;-}
Hi there, Hyacinths;

Not only are your macaws safe, but you are safe from viral transmission yourself. Hep C is a disease that is primarily transmitted by blood to blood transfer. You will not
When I went to see the dietican there was no HepC diet.  I am overweight and the doc did tell me I need to lose some.  Fat also builds up on your liver.    So if he is an overweight person then he should try and lose those extra pounds.  My hep doc is the only doc I have that didn't tell me to stop smoking.  However on that note smoking increases your risk of cancer and Hep C can give you cancer of the liver also smoking restricts your blood flow to your body.  So I can see that it isn't a good idea.  It never is.  He did advise a multi vit. One w/o iron and I'm not sure why no iron.  You are sure to hear about all kinds of herbs and silvers that are miracle cures.  There is no easy way out.  I wouldn't put much faith in them. Infact my doc advises not to waste my money on them.  There is no regulation on the dosage and some can do more harm than good.  Last of all.  My hubby and daughter (who was likely born while I was infected) are neg.  I couldn't make it though thinking I could no longer hug them and kiss them.  I CAN and I don't have to worry so much about it.  My blood is infected and I have to make sure they don't come in contact with that.  My hugs and kisses are not.  And we all need as many of those that we can get. As for questions ask away when you think they are ready.  Most of us find that people are not very aware of Hep C and enjoy being able to educate instead of being branded.
In my post above, I said "but you are safe from viral transmission yourself."

What I should have said is "but in this particular instance, you are probably safe from viral transmission yourself."

Check back tommorow, chances are you will get some more comments.

Peace, Bill
Thanks so much for the great response. Yes, they could use hugs/kisses and all the love possible. They are both such wonderful loving people and I am so lucky to have them as my friends.

His wife has not been tested and feels comfortable not doing so. I would imagine their doctor would have recommended she test if necessary but I am not sure. I try not to ask questions that will offend or make them uncomfortable.

All I care about really is to just be there for them. I know very little about what is going on other then he is not taking any treatments yet. They don't drink alcohol but they still smoke. Is smoking going to make the hepatitis worse?

I have been looking at organic type foods and supplements that I can suggest for them. Does changing diet help? I have recently started sprouting organic grains and legumes for myself as well as for my parrots. Sprouts are wonderful and nutritional.

Thanks again for taking the time to talk to me about HC. I am going to research as much as I can on the subject. I want to help them any way I can.

Hyacinths

Thank you for giving me your time and advice. I did not know anything about HCV until coming across this site. God bless,

Hyacinths