Hepatitis C Community
Is the Dr. dropping the ball
About This Community:

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Is the Dr. dropping the ball

I have tested positive for hep C - 3 blood test. Haven't seen the results yet for counts.The Dr did say it was low. I have to wait a month to see him, 1st availability,  and then he wants to vaccinate me for A & B but did not say anything about treatment but asked if I wanted treatment, I answered yes and then he said make an appt. What should I think? He acts as if I have the flu. Should I get another Dr. and he is the gastro dr.
Related Discussions
17 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
446474_tn?1404424777
Your doctor is following all of the correct procedures. Why do you think he is not taking it seriously?

Hectorsf
Blank
Avatar_m_tn
Because I have to wait so long to see the dr then he ASKED if i wanted treatment
Blank
Avatar_m_tn
How serious is this? My drs have not explained anything
Blank
Avatar_m_tn

The result of the blood test that is important to know is what geno type you are..as treatment regimes are approached differently depending on what  type.

To wait for a month to see a specialist actually seems fairly quick.....at least in my part of the world.

Good luck

WILL
Blank
87972_tn?1322664839
Depending on a lot of factors, treatment might not be in your best interest right now. HCV disease progression is typically measured in years and decades, not weeks or months; it often takes months to get an appointment and settle on a plan.

You probably don’t want a doctor that rushes you into treatment decisions; the meds for this aren’t particularly friendly or efficacious at the time.

Can you tell us what tests were taken? Do you have a genotype (strain) yet? The genotype dictates not only the duration of therapy, but also the odds of success. Speaking very generically, genotype 1 (the most prevalent in North America) requires 48 weeks minimum of therapy with 45=50% odds of success; alternately, genotypes 2 and 3 require 24 weeks treatment with 75-80% success rate.

Success is described with the term ‘SVR’, or Sustained Viral Response). This occurs after one completes therapy with a negative viral load, then tests six months later without the virus reappearing. If it does, this is called ‘relapse’.

Your doctor might offer liver biopsy at some point. This can help determine urgency; if little to no fibrosis, or scarring is present, a good case could be made to postpone/delay treatment in favor of more efficacious remedies.

Other drugs are now being studied in clinical trial, and a new class of drugs is expected to reach market later in 2011.

Good luck and welcome to the discussion group-

Bill
Blank
1491755_tn?1333204962
I had to wait a month between every step....fwiw
Blank
Avatar_m_tn
Have finally met with the dr and it is genotype 1a and my viral level is at 20410. Dr said if it were him he would wait to see results from new treatment before starting treatment. I go back in 4 months to check for changes. What are your comments/opinions on this
Blank
Avatar_f_tn
Excellent advice if your health is currently good and you are monitoring your health regularly with your doctor.
Blank
Avatar_m_tn
Do you know if you have mild, moderate of advanced liver disease?  Viral load is not an indication of how much liver fibrosis is present.  That is something I would want to know before waiting too long.
Blank
1148619_tn?1332014584
get a liver biopsy  That will tell you great information. VL comes into play when you treat, if you decide to.
Blank
Avatar_f_tn
You can get a liver biopsy (a bit invasive) or a fibrosure perhaps.  An option if fibrosis is not there or slight is to wait for treatments which are less severe.  In about 5 years they say, there will probably be drugs with a higher cure rate and easier on the organism.  Meanwhile, some of us are going with experimental trials which will set the stage for that.  If the fibrosis has advanced, it is probably not a good idea to wait but your doc will probably advise you.  Have you really remained undecided since March or are we picking up this thread just because?
Blank
Avatar_m_tn
i had a liver biopsy in may and it showed no liver damage or any sign of sirosis. i am 57 and the dr said i could live to be 125 and not have to worry about it so he said see him in jan. and we go from there.
getting vaxed to for prevention of hep a and b 2day.
the dr thinks i contracted it 35 years ago per my history.
however i donated blood on a couple of occasions around 2003 and 2004 and they said my results were fine per the mail.
cannot believe it wasnt caught then!
i thought i may have caught in 2010 as i had dental work done but the dr nixed that.
any comments would be appreciated.
ty
Blank
Avatar_m_tn
one more thing i guess the disease is factored on a 1 to 4 scale and i am just over a 1.
Blank
Avatar_m_tn
No i have not remained undecided since march. Just had to wait for Dr. I thought I was going to start treatment this week until he said if it were him he would wait for more results from the new treatment. Had liver biop since then, started hep a & b vacs today and go back for additional booster next week and then next month. See the Dr. again in Jan.
Blank
Avatar_m_tn
Thanks to all of you for your comments, recommendations and suggestions. I hope all will turn out well for everyone.

kwa
Blank
Avatar_f_tn
Perhaps this is why the would wait (if it were him):

http://www.hepctrust.org.uk/Resources/HepC/HCV%20Reports
/Post%20Tx%20Survey%20Report%202010.pdf
Blank
Avatar_m_tn
A survey of 500 people does not speak for the entire HCV community that has already treated, experienced no long term side effects and moved on with their lives.  There has been no follow-up since the survey was completed in 2007.  It's a source of information, nothing more.  

You have time to wait kwa and even if there was an all oral treatment regiment on the market right now, this very day, you would still have time to wait.  Treatment is a personal decision based on many factors in the individuals life.  If the time is right and you decide you want to treat in the near future because your healthy, you have the support emotionally and financially and everything seems copasetic don't let what you read on this forum deter you from doing so.  For those who decide now is the the right time to treat because of their personal circumstances and don't want to watch and wait there has never been a better time to treat.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hepatitis C Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...
Aug 28 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
3 Reasons Why You are Still Binge E...
Jul 14 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787_tn?1373214989
Blank
Dee1956
DC
1747881_tn?1358189534
Blank
hrsepwrguy
Greeley, CO
Avatar_f_tn
Blank
susan400
FL
163305_tn?1333672171
Blank
orphanedhawk
Rural Mural, CA
446474_tn?1404424777
Blank
HectorSF
CA
766573_tn?1365170066
Blank
Idyllic