Is this considered a risk?
I recently had a brief stay at the psych ward due to hitting rock bottom with my OCD.  A great deal of people there talked about having Hep C in group therapy.  One of the women who has it (and had an open wound on her face) gave me a hug and her wound touched my hair...maybe even my face.  Also, a fella with Hep C and scabs on his wrist and palm patted me on the back....touching my clothes and hair.  Again, I didn't wash hair or clothes that day after the fella patted me on the back. Am I at risk?  I did not wash my hair or face after the hug.  

I am currently on meds for my OCD and start therapy next week.  I honestly don't know if I should get tested.  I don't always think rationally and was hoping someone could shed some light on this for me. I know that Hep C is quite infectious under certain circumstances.

Thank you for your time and responses.

Hepc is only transmitted when the blood from an infected person enters the bloodstream of another and someone patting you on the back or swiping your hair with with an open wound does not constitute a risk of contracting hepc.  Hopefully once your meds kick in you will be able to better deal with your issues.

If you can't let go these unrealistic thoughts get tested.

Trinity
I was in my Hep C support group.  Someone metioned they had OCD and then they looked at me.  Can I get OCD ?
Thank you...I plan on doing just that.  The meds won't go into effect for up to 2 weeks and therapy doesn't start until the end of the month.  

I know that is highly unlikely, but the way my thought process works it is hard for me to determine that.  I think what if blood got in my hair and my hair ALWAYS gets in my mouth when I am moving my head and such.  The psych doctor also told me that is was possible, but unlikely....so that furthers my obsession.
Sorry if you took offense to my question.  It is not what was intended.
You could drink a hepc milkshake or eat a tossed salad with hepc dressing and not get infected.  I know that sounds gross but it's true.  Ingestion is not a form of transmission and I think your psych doc needs to educate himself.  Please tell him I said so. :)

Trinity
Thanks again....I can't wait for my meds to kick in and my mind to calm!!

I guess the fact that I tend to aggressively brush my teeth and cause my gums to bleed and also get ulcers/mouth sore from biting myself @ times when eating is why I am most concerned.  I typically have one or the other going on w/ my mouth on any given day...hence my worry about my hair in my mouth.  

Sorry to be a nuisance and your posts are much appreciated.
Good luck to you.  I hope the meds work and you get better.
Thank you.  Best to you as well!
You have NO risk of HCV from what you describe. Hope you feel better soon
Thank you for your response and support.
I know you are all going to be upset with my bringing 2 more situations from my stay at the hospital up for your comments.  I am actually seeing if I can get my doc to prescribe ativan for my extreme anxiety.  Please don't be angry.  I am just in crisis mode and can't let go of my thoughts.  I cannot get into see the therapist I was set up with until January 31.

The same blood pressure cuff was used on hep c patient that just had blood drawn and the cotton was taken off of his wound (which was then exposed) and he had scabs from a recent suicide attempt which is why he was in the hospital.  I was the next to have my blood pressure taken after I had also had blood drawn and I no longer had my bandage/cotton on.  My wound was exposed too.  My blood pressure was taken immediately after his.  So, the cuff was on his open wound and then mine.  

There was a man there, I don’t know his Hep C status, but he had cuts and scabs all over his head and arms.  He was also OCD, but he had to clean constantly. He would have a wet wash cloth with him at all times.  He would wipe his head and arms and then wipe down the tables that all of the patients sat down to eat our meals at.  I told the nurses and aids and they did nothing about it.  

Sorry again for troubling you all.  I hope everyone is having a good day.
The first scenario is possible if blood got on the cuff and directly touched your blood draw hole.  But all my blood draws are on the inside of my elbow joint.  BP's are on my upper arm.
They always took the blood pressure at the elbow joint on right arm on everyone...same side as blood drawn.

I don't know how concerned I should be or if I should get tested and when.  I would think at a hospital they would be more mindful of what they are doing.  I honestly wasn't thinking about it at the time and try to push it out of my mind chalking it up to OCD.  
sorry...meant to say always took bp on right arm same as the blood drawn.  The cuff was always hitting the area where I had my blood drawn.
I wonder how long it takes for a needle puncture from a blood draw to heal.  
I think you know the answer but as you said you can't help yourself.  Try to think in terms of blood entering the bloodstream instead of a pinhole size wound that was not oozing blood.  If you could try to comprehend that infected blood MUST enter the bloodstream to infect another person and that does not happen from casual contact.

You know NW, people here are fighting this disease, not the the concept or delusion that they may have contracted it.  

The OCD forum may be of some value to you while you're waiting to see your doctor.

Trinity
If you need to "know" get tested.  I realize it must be hard for you but try not to worry about it.
As stated above, Get Tested. With OCD, there are no answers we can give you that will not result in more questions. This is The HCV Forum with people that have real problems (also stated above). Med Help has an OCD Forum.  We can’t help you here. Best wishes with your treatment.
Absolutely no risk from a girl with a scab and some dude patting you on the back.  If you continue to worry about it go ahead and get tested but it's a waste, JMHO.  good luck!

Oh and your statement about "HepC being quite infectious under certain conditions" simply isn't true.  It is only quite infectious in blood to blood contact such as using IV dope with an infected person.  
"You know NW, people here are fighting this disease, not the the concept or delusion that they may have contracted it.  

Trinity "

thank you for your response Trinity4. as someone who has been living with HCV for 40 years and finally in treatment, I am pleased knowing that we have members like you here.

Id better leave this one alone... My mind is racing with comments..

But in fairness to the questions.. No, I would not feel that the kindness of a few positive HCV patients at a mental hospital "rubbed" off on you.