Hepatitis C Community
Itchy scalp

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Itchy scalp

I know the itchy skin and scalp has been hashed over and I feel like I have a handle on the skin, lotions, humidifier, cool showers, etc but the itchy scalp is not calming down. I wonder what people think while talking to me and I constantly itch scalp.  My doc looked and there is no dandruff.  I tried hot oil packs, all sorts of different shampoos, etc.  thinking of going to salon and see if they have a suggestion.  I know I saw somewhere here recently this being mentioned.  I hate to keep scratching with the way my hair is breaking off I am sure this does not help that.

Any suggestions?     Besides for this I am feeling good, I look at it like running a marathon.  When I get to mile marker 13 I play head games for the next 13 miles, it's all down hill, you can do 13 again, etc so when I reached the half way on Thursday I am applying the same way of thinking!  I had a fire outside weds night for the winter solstice and celebrated by burning all my injection boxes and Vic boxes.  It was lovely....
Mo, have you tried any of the itchy scalp shampoos such as Selsun Blue, Head & Shoulder Anti Itch, Scalpicin, etc.?  It did seem around the time frame you are at now my scalp also itched badly, but at week 36, not a problem anymore.  The sides seems to shift around, don't they?  
Yep.  I believe the one I tried yesterday made it worse. A sample someone gave me, Herbal Essance I believe.  I tried scalpicin and that one made my scalp burn. Oh well, if this is the worse of it for now, I will take it.
Also, if you haven't already tried, anti-histimines such as Claritin and Benadryl have help calm some of this itching for me.  Of course, suggest approving this with the doc before trying.

I tried Selsun Blue on my back to calm the rash/itch once and felt like it set my back on fire.  Won't do that again.  
I didnt think about burning my incevik box, thats a good idea
While on incivek, I was able to reduce the itch and mostly control the rash with a whole lot of gold bond multiple times a day.  Cant do that with your scalp if you still have hair.  I had extreme itch and burn on my scalp. It drove me crazy.  I found that doing coconut oil treatments on my scalp help control this for a few days at least.  Now that I am on SOC only, the itch is more
Ike bad dandruff, just annoying.  I still use the coconut oil bet less often and it still helps.

Coconut oil comes in a jar at your grocery, sort of solid like shortening. Microwave some for 10 seconds, just to liquify, not hot. Put a towel around your shoulders to keep the oil off your clothes.  Poor onto scalp a bit at a time and work through to scalp and down the shafts if your hair is dry. Tie your hair up and wipe any drips away.  It's messy but it moisturizer and gets rid of the itch for me at least.  I try to leave It in for at least two hours.  If you do it at night before bed, put a towel on your pillow.  Wash and condition as usual.

I have not tried olive oil while on tx but it may work too.  Think the coconut oil last longer for moisturizing so did not try olive oil while on tx.

Hope you feel better.
Hi, yes a half of Benadryl works but really wipes me out. I checked with doctor before   Taking  it and she was ok with any antihistamine. It did work. With already having a underlying feeling of fatigue, I hate adding to it. Then I tried Allergra. Just the opposite, I was wired to the max, on a half!!  Darn.  Today I did warm oil soak and a generic Selsum Blue.  

Mo
If i'm cycling and have a flare up of the rash, I usually take Claritin during the daytime and only Benadryl at night.  I took a zyrtec-d near bedtime once and remember staring at the ceiling for hours.