Hepatitis C Community
Jim, I found your critical SVR window theory interesting

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I too have  a theory that possibly SVR isn't actually absolute termination of the virus but rather a potent suppresion of it by our own immune systems once treatment is finished.  People for which treatment doesn't end in SVR simply didn't have the immune fire power of their own once treatment commenced to keep the virus in check.  The medications beat the virus down to meager numbers and then our own brilliant immune systems have and easy time keeping it under control.  I heard from a college Biology prof that since viruses aren't alive they can't be killed but merely controlled by the immune system.  Every cold a person has ever had or any other type of viral infection leaves small traces of its self behind and become dormant.  An example of this is the Herpes virus.  It lays waiting until its host's immunity is compromised and then rears its head.  
Actually it wasn't my theory -- heard it here from others -- and I do not necessarily believe in it. In fact, I tend to lean toward the 'once the virus is gone, it's gone' theory, as does my liver specialist.

That said, anecdotally there have been a number of postives reported here just following treatment that were closely followed by a negative. Were these false positives or is it the  "SVR Window" theory in action.

Frankly, I have no idea, but know enough to know that none of us know enough and therefore throwing it out as a possiblity.

But whatever is going on, I think anyone testing positive after an UND owes it to themself to both immediately re-test and then test again in another month or so. That's what NYGirl did, and for whatever reason she ended up UND. And after all is said and done, that is what's important.

-- Jim
Yeah I prescribe to the 'it's either gone, or it isn't' philosophy. I'm just so shocked over MO's relapse. When I started coming here a lot of the people that posted a relapse, I did not know because I hadn't been through the war with them. I don't know, it's easy to play head games. My post tx was clear and I'm suppose to go 3 months but I may have a 6 weeker for peace of mind. I cleared somewhere between 4 and 12 weeks. I was VL of 88 at 4 weeks so I figure I spent about 42 weeks undetectable. Jeez, I had a ton of cigars in the humidor I've been smoking that I couldn't smoke during tx that I've been hitting pretty hard. Now wouldn't THAT be a slice. I'll bet that's a new one. But what can you do really ? Wait it out and see what happens I suppose.
I find it interesting as well. And a little bit worrisome.

I have, in my own mind, thought that I came damned close to clearing this virus on my own
2-1 VL 42,000, 2-28 VL 192

prior to treatment and that i nearly made it until right before treatment with the viral load 3-24 was 4000.

I think I didn't clear because I was postoperative and if i hadn't been in THAT boat, I would have because my immune system wouldn't have been working so hard getting over surgery.

My concern though is how the immune system is supposed to be able to "turn back on" after being artificially amped by IFN. How do it know?  The "window" you guys are talking about...isn't it a good idea, post end of treatment to do whatever you can for your immune system from a supplement standpoint? This is the part that concerns me. Thoughts?

deb
did you not smoke during tx because of docs orders or was it because it was too irritating? smoking irritates me drastically right now and causes lots of extra
plem coughing. ive had to quit almost completely.
Try not to worry about it. I know its easier said than done but I was driving myself nuts and for what, nothing I could do. It came back and now I feel relaxed to tell you the truth. The stress is gone. I hope and pray that the PCR that I go for this week is svr. That would be a nice surprise, but the nice or good thing about this next Pcr is I won't be sweating it out anymore. The scary part happened already and now it will stay the same (which won't be like the initial shock) or it will be svr, which will be a nice surprise. This relapse was not a good thing, but what did come out of it that was good was that I feel Gods presence with me very strong. This is no lie. There is no way I could handle this on my own. It is too much of a disapointment to deal with by myself.