Please assess my risk based on the following
Some 5 weeks ago, i was with a friend who rolled up a new Joint Roach with new smoking paper and Started smoking it like a normal cigarette through his mouth.
He offered me but since i do not smoke, i just smelt it from a distance of around an inch from my nostrils. It was not inside my nostril and also not in contact with it.
That day i went home and did office work till late so i am sure i didn't bleed.
But next morning when i got up, my nostril was bleeding.
Please assess my risk for Blood born infection like Hep C or HIV
so can i assume safely that i do not have Heptitis C?
i am not emotionally troubling any one
But the fact is I am unable to speak to anyone
I feel inferiority
what will people think of me if i get it???
what will happen to my family
Please help me
You have been helped. You cannot get hep C this way.
If you are still worried, educate yourself about this virus which is spread via blood.
It sounds like the help need is for your anxiety.
We are not qualified to help you with that.
If you are still worried, see your doctor.
You can definitely assume you did not catch Hep C by inhaling or smelling a joint an inch away from your nostril.
The blood that came out of your nostril the following morning was your blood, not someone else's blood. So you had no contact with anyone else's blood. You cannot catch Hep C in the circumstances your described.
you are ok, not to worry. you can only get the diseases you mentioned from blood to blood contact.....you are safe....like everyone suggested...several times......check out that link that bill posted........but watch out for vampires.
I have a good book on Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and the thing to do, is go see a psychiatrist, who may prescribe an SSRI (but ONLY if there is not a family or personal history of Bipolar Disorder, because antidepressants/SSRI's trigger mania.
Tha being said, a therapist can work on desensitizing your fears, by making you face them. Trying ot avoid yr fears, are just making it worse. Solets go over your fears, as if they rly happened, this is just role-playing, so here goes:TotallyInsane, you have just found out you have somehow caught Hep C (you can pretty much only get it from shooting up drugs, unless you are a nurse, but yr not, you were in an alley way, and used a dirty needle, with a junky, like me, 20 yrs ago, becuz I was phobic of germs, so I ran towards my fear)
Remember, we are just role-playing here, my kid has OCD, and it's not funny, it's very painful, so I feel for ya! But back to the "exposure"...so, here you are, with all us Hep C infected people (except there is a new drug out, that cures 70% of us, but the cure is pretty bad)...and you have Hep C, and you may feel somewhat self-concious, becuz of the stigma involved, butme, personally, I dont~ there's just no shame in my game, not sure why, I've just never had alot of problems with shame or embarrassment. Buit you may have been raised differently,and now you will have to tell yr family that you shot up, with the dirty junky- not marajuana, but a big shot of methamphetamine. So, now, you have a 75% chance of fighting it off, in the first 6 months (acute phase) but if you areunlucky enough to catch it (like us on this Hep C forum) then there is now a 25% chance that you will get sick from having it. But even if you dont get sick, you could possibly infectoneof yr family members, if you used their tooth-brush...so dont do that! Now...go get a biopsy,and see how yr livewr is doing. If you have scarring, you can be treated, and we are excited to tell you, that there is now new prtease inhibitors out here, FDA approved, last May, that will up your chance of cure, from 50% to 70%!!!
You can start your treatment, and meet nice folks, at a local support group. I am pretty sure, you will get cured, but if not, in the end, we all have to die of something, and I am sorry about that.
Remember, if you keep avoiding the thought, it will just get bigger. Just think it, and then let it go...like dust in the wind. Good luck to you, with your OCD,it is one of the most difficult and painful diseases to cure...but I think you know, deep down inside, that you are in the wrong forum- You might want to try Abilify, and maybe Wellbutrin- talk aboutit with yr Psychiatrist- much love to you
thank you sooo much everyone
one last question
what is the diff betn what i did and a rolledup bill or a straw used for cocaine
cos i am not well informed i assume everything dat i read on net to be true for me
A rolled up bill or straw would have to be inserted into the nasal passage of a person with HCV, that person's blood would have to be deposited onto the bill or straw, then inserted into your nasal passage, you would have to have an open wound in your nasal passage and the HCV + person's blood would then have to get into your bloodstream.
HCV is passed from person to person via BLOOD TO BLOOD.
Your question has been answered. If you aren't satisfied with the answers you have received here, read the links you were provided with. If you still aren't satisfied, you should see your doctor.
No one here can tell you whether or not you have HCV. In the situation you have described, there is NO RISK of transmission of HCV. Zero.
I had heard about this phenomena, where people have a phobia about catching Hep C or HIV, etc, I think just recently, on Dr. Phil? So, yeah, this person may be a "Troll", but if not, reassuring someone doesn't help, and makes the OCD worse. It becomes like a codependant relationship if we do the reassuring, then we are "enabling" so to speak...my kin and my mom were in a realationship like that.
But on a bright note, atleast there is enough publicity on Hep C, for the phobia to be there, and the more we educate the public, the better. I've noticed so little education on Hep C, even my on Primary Care Doctor didn't seem at all concerned, when my ALT/AST jumped up from the one hundreds at last yrs physical, to almost 500's this year...which she should've taken as a huge RED LIGHT!
I really think that blood transfusions and needle exposures are how most get it, then tattoo and piercings. I used to wonder if I did catch it in the late 70's, early 80's, with those dollar bills, but I dont rly think it's that common at all~
Just because someone asks a question and is concerned about something, does not mean that the person asking the question is a troll or has OCD, even if we think the answer is obvious. Just because someone is fearful of having been exposed to Hep C does not make them a troll and it does not mean they have OCD.
We live in an extremely diverse world of people, all of whom come from varied backgrounds and cultures, varied educational levels, varied belief systems and mores, and varied world and life experiences. Recognizing that there are numerous differences among us, enhances our understanding and acceptance of other people.
In my opinion, educating and reassuring someone about Hep C transmission, both how it is transmitted and how it is not transmitted, in no way resembles co-dependency. Instead, I feel it is the most effective way to eliminate incorrect beliefs and misperceptions surrounding Hep C.
"you can pretty much only get it from shooting up drugs, unless you are a nurse"
If we want to talk about misperceptions and erroneous beliefs, that quote is one major misperception. If (some) people on this forum believe that quote is true, it is not at all surprising that people unfamiliar with Hep C think that statement is true.
"So, now, you have a 75% chance of fighting it off, in the first 6 months (acute phase) but if you areunlucky enough to catch it (like us on this Hep C forum) then there is now a 25% chance that you will get sick from having it"
If Hep C tries to attack your body, your immune system does everything it can to fight it off. Some people’s immune systems successfully
defend them against Hep C. These people (about 2 or 4 out of 10) do not develop chronic Hep C. Their blood will carry proof that their immune
system fought against Hep C.
Yeah, but I noticed, when I went to his profile, that he did say he had "very high OCD" so....yeah. The reason I could spot the OCD, before I went to his profile was because, if you red the whole thread, all the reassuring that was done, still didn't make him feel and better/safer...because his fear is a reoccuring and irrational thought, and I could tell, by his writing,that he was, indeed, educated, etc. I could also spot the OCD becuz it runs in my family. But you are right, Pooh...there arelots of people out there, who lack education on Hep C, and might think you can catch Hep C from inhaling or smoking a joint with someone, so it was very kind and compassionate of peopleon here to take time out to explain transmission to him : ) The only other website I have been on, besides FaceBook, is Youtube, and they did have a HUGE Troll problem, until they changed their format on March 14th.
I think I was just a little saddened/hurt, that "my disease" has enough stigma to it, that people are now developing phobias about having it. And now that I am UND,and my husband hasn't treated, I have to admit, I am no longer willing to share the same tooth-past with him, and find myself having : a head-ache" when he feels romantic..it's hard for me to but that thing the Docotor says, about how thereis only a small chance of passing it thru sex, if you are with a long time partener. I mean, what is the differencs between long-time and short-time, isn't sexual contact just sexual contact? Or am I getting OCD, about catching it, now that I am going thru so much pain, getting rid of it, etc. If I could do this life over again, knowing what I know now, then I would never touch even a single drug!
Anyhoo...sorry if I came off as a "know-it-all".....I am pretty much on edge, becuz I quit smoking pot, which I used to use, to numb my feelings...Ihave feelings now, just not used to!
Yeah, okay...yr right, tons of Hemophiacs caught it, before 1985. And I still wouldn't trust a tattoo parlor, although I am sure when they do piercings and tattoos, they try to be as careful as possible, about sterilization, but thereis always the cahnce of human error!
So yeah, even a fist fight can give you Hep C, tis true, tis true...didn't mean to flame....I get pissy on these tripe meds, it's not exactly a "Riba-Rage", but like I said in my last post, I did feel kind of "contaminated"...knowing that other people are so worried about catvching it...two sides to every coin, sorry if I upset you Pooh!
Scientists developed blood tests to identify hepatitis B (1963) and hepatitis A (1973), but many of the blood samples taken for post-transfusion illness tested negative for hepatitis A and hepatitis B. Given that the mode of transmission (blood transfusion) was the same, scientists classified the unidentified cases as non-A, non-B hepatitis. It is now believed that
approximately 90-95% of cases previously classified as non-A, non-B (NA/NB) were actually hepatitis C.
In the 1980’s, investigators from the Centers for Disease Control (headed up by Daniel W. Bradley) and Chiron (Michael Houghton) identified the virus in 1989. In 1990, blood banks began screening blood donors for
hepatitis C, but it wasn’t until 1992 that a blood test was perfected that effectively eliminated HCV from the blood transfusion supply. Now, there is less than one per two million transfused units of blood estimated to
be tainted with hepatitis C. Prior to the screening of the blood supply for hepatitis C, approximately 300,000 Americans contracted hepatitis C through blood transfusions or blood products.
Perhaps you misinterpreted the comment, that I made to "insanelyworried" who clearly states,on his profile, that he suffers from OCD...I explained to him, that I would take the taime out to do "role-playng" with him (which he later thanked me for, in a personal note, by the way)...and I had him face his "worst-case scenario fear"...which would be, I think for everybody, universally, to "share a needle"...and I added stigma words, such as 'alley"and "dirty-junky",as part of the role-playing, and him facing his worst fears- if you read the thread, he was very concerned with the stigma involved with this disease, and the stigma/stereo-type is: that you catch it from using dirty needles.
By the way, I also caught it from a dirty needle, 23 yrs ago, and everybody I know that has it, also caught it that way, but then again, plenty of people were unfortunate enough to catch it froma blood transfusion, given before 1992, etc. I apologize, if I hurt anyones' feelings on here, it wasn't my intention...I just tend to get a little obnoxious(from boredom) when I am stuck at home, unable to breath, waiting for my Procrit to be approved....new to this site : )
Tis true, tis true...but for me, I am very angry at myself, for having been stupid enought, to have caught it from using I.V. drugs, when I was young, and obviously mentally unstable! My mom, and all of society, warned me NOT to use needles, but becuse of my self-destructive nature, I went and made tons of mistakes.
Now, after being clean/sober, for 13 yrs....I just cant understand why I behaved so haphazardly. I feel like this disease, and subsequent cure, is my punishment! But for those who caught it, in other ways, like thru transfusions, I feel very bad for these people, because it wasn't a choice for them (I knew better, and made a bad decision), and also, there is a stigma involved with the disease, because of the association with needle use.
Thanks, Hawk, I'm new here, so still learning : / hahah..I did get a bit snarley, I am just really emotional, since finding out in late october, that I was symptomatic, and now, going into treatment, the meds also make me emo!
YESSS!!!! You gave me the 'best answer" award!!! How's it going? I have OCD also, so I know how it feels...not fun!
And now that I my Hep C virus has gone undetected, due to the medicine, I am afraid of my husband, he better go get treated! He kissed me yesterday, and does get sores on his lip) And what about my children, maybe I passed it to them, and they get nose-bleeds!!! I better get them tested ( I had my daughter tested, she doesn't have Hep C, only OCD)
I think if I hadn't been so afraid of Hep C, then I wouldn't have gone and caught it! It's strange, but sometimes we run towards our fears. We are all afraid of dying, so we should try to enjoy living..but it is so hard sometimes, this journey we call life.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.